DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a dwg file in Trueview 2012

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Mike42
2482 Views, 4 Replies

Opening a dwg file in Trueview 2012

IF I try to open a .dwg from a folder by double-clicking it the TrueView 2012 splash screen comes up but it won’t open. It just says “Loading” in the progress bar but won’t ever open.

If I open TrueView 2012 by itself it opens right up and will let me open the same .dwg. I just have to open the program first to get it to work.

Not a huge issue since i appear to have full functionality of the program just wondering if there is an easy fix?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rbellini
in reply to: Mike42

I had a similar experience.  When I double click on a file (inside a ZIP file) I received the following:

FATAL ERROR:  Unhandled c0000417h Exception at 78578293h

If I copied the file to a local folder and then doubled clicked it, it opened OK.

Message 3 of 5
grumpyxch
in reply to: rbellini

When I click on a dwg file, TrueView 2012 often complains it cannot find that file. I have to kill the True View window and try again, and if necessary again and again until TrueView 2012 finally opens the drawing file. Sometimes it can take 5 or 6 attempts to open the drawing.

Anyone got any cures, please?

Message 4 of 5
NorrieC
in reply to: grumpyxch

grumpy,

I think you will find that the problem is that TrueView cannot handle (parse) filenames with spaces or other characters (hyphen for example). The error invoked is "Windows cannot find [path\filename]. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.". This of course is no help to man nor beast. However, by trial and error I found that if I replaced any spaces and hyphens with underscores or deleted entirely then the file would open normally.

Two things strike me about this:

1. if you search on TrueView and filenames you get no hits, nada. Am I the only person to experience this and figure out whats wrong? I can't believe it.

2. if this is indeed the reason for the problem then it is incredulous that Autocad does not support long filenames in a product named after the year 2012. Maybe if it was 1982 then I'd understand, but not 2012. Unbelievable !

Message 5 of 5
grumpyxch
in reply to: NorrieC

Sorry for the delay in replying. Have tried what you suggested on one of my files. It improved the situation, but it still fails ftoo often for my liking. Now whenever I have to open an older drawing file, I go back to using True View 2008. Its a nuisance having to change back and forth between the two versions, but less annoying than using 2012 on all files with the accompanying problems.

Many thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report