DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large 3D Drawings, poor performance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ecaswell
524 Views, 2 Replies

Large 3D Drawings, poor performance

Are there limits to the size and complexity of drawings TrueView can handle? I am currently tasked with building a desktop PC to work with a 120MB+ .dwg file with about 40 layers in it. I built a machine with an SSD, i7 4670k, 8gb RAM, and allocated 1GB of memory to the integrated HD graphics 4600 chip. The drawing takes over a minute to load, and over a minute to re-render whenever the view is changed or a layer is toggled. 

Am I missing something in my machine's specs to work with large 3D Drawings? Would autoCAD proper be able to handle such a file better on the same PC? What do I need to do to enable somebody to work with this drawing file? Any advice would be helpful.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: ecaswell

Those are average home PC specs for the high end task you desire, plus 120MB files are on the top end for size compared to most in other industries.

Search these forums in full for better specs for AutoCAD: topic comes up regularly. You can also call Dell sales, tell them what you want it to do and they can help spec it more realistically.
Message 3 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: pendean

Plus, I wouldn't be using TrueView as a 3D viewer.  Either create a 3D DWF or use Navisworks Simulate or Manage to publish an NWD file; both file types can be viewed with Navisworks Freedom.  3D DWF files can also be viewed with Design Review.  Freedom and Design Review don't require licenses.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report