DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display of Lineweights - Not correct

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
PRSS
5123 Views, 14 Replies

Display of Lineweights - Not correct

I am using DWG TrueView 2012. When I open a drawing done in AutoCAD with lineweights assigned and when the diplay of line weights is ON, the lineweights display correct in AutoCAD  (to the lineweight display settings I have set in AutoCAD options). This same drawing when opened in DWG TrueView, the display of lineweights is far thicker than displayed in AutoCAD. Sometimes the drawing becomes un-readable because of excessive thickness displayed.

In the DWG TrueView options I do not see any dialog box to control the display of lineweights. I have to set the lineweight to default thickness in all the layers in DWG True View so that the drawing becomes readable. Is there a possibl\ility to control the display of lineweights in DWG TrueView?

Eventhough the display of lineweights is execssive in DWG TrueView, but when the drawing is plotted from DWG TrueView, the plotted thickness of lines are correct as set in AutoCAD.

Thanks in advance
With best regards

PRSS

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
marie.jones
in reply to: PRSS

I am trying to hook up a project manager on my team with our standard plot style table so he can plot drawings with the correct lineweights...where does the plot style table go in the directory structure within Design veiw?

Message 3 of 15
PRSS
in reply to: marie.jones

It goes here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2012\R9\enu\Plotters\Plot styles.

My computers still run Windows XP. If you run Windows 7 then the path should be through "user" or something. You will first have to enable "show hidden folders" in the folder options.

Hope this helps.

With best regards

PRSS

Message 4 of 15
marie.jones

The PM was using DWG tru View 2008...which didn't recognize plot style tables...so no place to place them...I have updated him to 2011 and were all set....except he is probably going to wanna cus me out because he has to learn the new format with ribbon etc....progress!! Gotta love it.

Thank you very much for your help!

Message 5 of 15
PRSS
in reply to: marie.jones

You can change the ribbon style to classic style. I had changed it by experimenting but I have now forgotten how I changed it. You can do some experiment and change.

With best regards

PRSS

Message 6 of 15
marie.jones

Yes. I think the style is changed at the Panel titles area...thanks good idea...I may be ok. 🙂

Message 7 of 15
JakeDelgado6031

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  It seems like there is a bug in the TrueView program that displays lineweights even though they are set not to display in the drawing file when opened with AutoCAD.  There is no setting I can find in TrueView that allows this to be turned off and I have a number of engineers who would like to view the files without the lineweights displayed.  The lines are thick enough that the users cannot see detail clearly even when zoomed in because the lines get thicker as the magnification increases.

Message 8 of 15
PRSS

I have asked this same question a 100 times in different forums - nobody seems to be interested in even replying to this question. I know all the topics here are watched by Autodek moderators. Even they don't care. 

This bug has always been there since version 2010 or even before (as I had not checked before this version) and the bug is carried over through version 2013. Autodesk is not even ashamed after seeing this kind of reports and has not cared to fix the problem.

I do understand how irritating this problem is.

With best regards

PRSS

Message 9 of 15
Charles_Shade

Not sure it is an issue with the program.

If there is no "fix" ever in the history of the program then it may not be broken.

TrueView is a viewer, really nothing more.

Apparently it does not have the software to change the on screen visual of the file that it is viewing.

And you can always explore Lineweights and TrueView by tapping F1 while in TrueView and reading up on the capabilities or lack there of.

I'm pretty sure there is a wishlist for TrueView that you may want to seek out.

Message 10 of 15
pendean

Changing and editing LWEIGHT displays requires the ability to edit the settings: the viewer does not offer the ability except in the LAYER Manager pop-up, assuming that is how you wish to change it. Are you looking for something different?

Go back to the top message in this thread: ability is in AutoCAD (Authoring program), not there in the viewer (the view-only program). Perhaps you need to do more than the viewer offers?

Message 11 of 15

I would say this is definitely an issue with the view as it does not follow the settings in the drawing.  I have verified in AutoCAD the lineweight display is set to off and opened the same file in TrueView.  TrueView shows heavy lines for everything in the file.  Not only that, the lineweights are the same for every entity in the file being viewed, regardless of how they look with the lineweight display on in AutoCAD.

I don't see why it would be an issue for Autodesk to allow this toggle in TrueView.  I imagine it would be a simple addition to the program and a useful tool when viewing files originating from others where the lineweights are left on.

In any case, I don't see why the lineweights in TrueView do not scale when zoomed in as they do in AutoCAD.  I understand this is a free program, but Autodesk as a company should be making an effort to have its products behave in a cohesive and predictable manner.  In my opinion, there is no excuse for letting this go on for several releases of the program.

Message 12 of 15
JakeDelgado6031
in reply to: pendean

The viewer is being used for exactly that by people in our organization that do not need to do anything with the drawings but look at them and possibly take a few dimensions from the geometry.  It would work fine for this purpose if the program did not exhibit this behavior.  Even if the problem could be corrected by opening the file in AutoCAD and changing the lineweight display settings (it noes not), it would be a waste of time for everyone involved for the person wanting to view the file to interrrupt an AutoCAD user to make these changes just to allow them to view the file properly.  Autodesk dropped the ball with this program and is not doing its reputation any favors by continuing to ignore it.

Message 13 of 15
pendean
in reply to: JakeDelgado6031

You contradicted yourself, did you skip something?

- I have verified in AutoCAD the lineweight display is set to off.

- and opened the same file in TrueView. TrueView shows heavy lines for everything in the file

- regardless of how they look with the lineweight display on in AutoCAD.

If they are off in AutoCAD when the file is saved, they are off in DTV2013 here too: there is no display issue with line weights.

Did someone turn on line weight displaying in your Layouts' PAGESETUP perhaps? Otherwise, create a test file, ensure it exhibits the problem for you as you outlined it, then post it here for use to see what you see since we obviously cannot replicate it with our files.

PS: unless you are in kindergarten, name calling (even to corporations) and invoking strawman arguments is childish and immature. Act professional around other working stiffs/professionals trying to either help you or confirm there is an issue and perhaps come up with a solution or workaround. Freeware is freeware, excpectations are realistically low for most of us who've been around the block a few times.

Message 14 of 15
JakeDelgado6031
in reply to: pendean

I don't see the contradiction, but I apologize if I am not clear.  Here is a summary of what I have done.  If you are willing, please let me know if you see a step I have missed:

-Engineer opened file with TrueView 2013.  Lineweights all heavy, all the same regardless of zoom maginification.

-I opened the same file in AutoCAD.  Lineweights are set not to display.  Double checked setting and resaved file.

-Opened the file again in TrueView.  Lineweights heavy.

-I checked other files in the same folder edited by the same user on the same computer and the problem does not occur, so it is not consistent which is why you can't necessarily reproduce it.

I don't see any setting in TrueView that allows me to change how I view the file.

Regarding name calling, I am only offering my opinion on this program.  I am not arguing anyone else should have the same opinion and having given my opinion, I won't need to repeat it.

Thanks for trying to help.

Message 15 of 15
pendean
in reply to: JakeDelgado6031

Any chance you can post a DWG with that problem? See attached here, nothing is different at all between AutoCAD and DTV except the program backgrounds.

Just admit it was a rant because no one helped you out until I came along to try 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report