DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert DWG TruView to a standard AutoCAD .dwg drawing format

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dewulf
9678 Views, 7 Replies

Convert DWG TruView to a standard AutoCAD .dwg drawing format

I am an old-fashinoned architect that works in 2D, model space.  It seems that most downloadable drawings generated in such sites as "Cad Block Exchange" are sent out in the TruView format.  That is the case too many times when I try to open a drawing that I wish to merge into one my drawings.  Is there a way to do this?  How do I convert a TrueView 2012 drawing to an AutoCad 2009 drawing for model space? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: dewulf

There is no TRUEVIEW format: it's either AutoCAD format or something else. Where did you get the idea TRUEVIEW was something other than a DWG file viewer?

You also seem a little confused about model/paper space, I'm not sure what you meant by the added comment: you can easily move objects between model and paperspace if that's what you need. or is this a scaling issue?

If you are talking about DWG files and nothing else, and these are in a higher version of AutoCAD that your R2009 cannot open (did you try? AutoCAD likes to give you that kind of information), TRUVIEW can save down the file for you.

Do you have TRUEVIEW installed and ready to be used?

And just because it's posted on the internet does not mean the block you seek is actually usable or the correct scale, you the end user will have to determine that once you acquire the block and open it.

Post back with details.

Message 3 of 8
dewulf

Thanks for the info.  It's true.., I am confused!  It appears that my AutoCAD 2009 is at least one problem.  I have TrueView 2012 installed on my system.  Have found, however, that TruView has no apparent device for saving the file down, as you suggest.  In fact, there is NO device to save anything in any manner in TrueView.

Hints?

Message 4 of 8
plesseym

In addition what Dean said, please verify that the files you downloaded are DWG files that cannot be inserted into Autocad 2009. 

TrueView 2012 that you have installed can be used to convert any higher version DWG file to any down level version DWG.

Start TrueView 2012 and click the Big D icon on the top left corner. Then select  the DWGConvert menu item.

The DWGConvert dialog box should open.

Use the icon at the bottom of the File Tree tab called Add file and add the DWG file you downloaded to the list of Files to convert from the folder you saved the downloaded files.

On the right side of the same dialog box select the correct conversion setup. Use Convert to 2007 (inplace)  if you have Autocad 2009.

Click the convert button at the bottom of the dialog box.

This will convert the DWG file to Autocd 2009 format inplace.

Any error messages will be shown if you click the View Report button at the bottom of the dialog box.

Message 5 of 8
waldauj
in reply to: plesseym

Hello

Is there any way to add formats that you can convert/export to in trueview 2012? WMF/EMF?

Regards Joakim

Message 6 of 8
pendean
in reply to: waldauj

Go into OPTIONS then Plot/Publish Tab, tap the ADD Plotters button and explore what Raster (and other) formats are available through the ADD-A-PLOTTER wizard.

Message 7 of 8
geowhiz
in reply to: plesseym

The posts verify what we have found...Trueview is not very intuitive.  After downloading the help files we thought we had figured out the setup conversion dialog.  We wanted to save the file in another directory and keep the original (just in case).  We selected keep files as is (whatever that means) rather than the default source root folder (C: Documents&Settings\name\My Documents)  which we don't use and typed in C:\Drafting\Autocad conversions).  The file was converted, but put in:

C:\Drafting\Autocad conversions\Drive_C:\Drafting\Jobs12|etc. etc. down to a lower level folder.

The tree:

C:

Drafting

Autocad conversions

C:

Drafting, etc.

What did we do wrong and how do we get rid of the bogus C: folder?  When we try to delete it the system won't let us (I am assuming the second C: isn't our hard drive!  I haven't tried renaming it.  That might help.  The main thing is what in the conversion setup dialog created this monster?

Message 8 of 8
pendean
in reply to: geowhiz

Post a screenshot of all the relevant pop-ups, and confirm which DTV version you are using (and WIndows version).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report