DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot register player for mime types

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
adavenport
635 Views, 4 Replies

Cannot register player for mime types

After installing VV express, I get the message "Cannot register player for mime types". When I try to open a file by clicking the icon, VVE will open but the file doesn't. If I open VVE first and then use it to open the file, the file will open. Can anyone he advise me on this problem?

Thanks ,
aDavenport
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wra0000
in reply to: adavenport

I have installed VVE on a Citrix server and am getting the same thing when accessing through the ICA client. From the server console I do not receive this and the file opens properly. Surely someone know the cause of this? Thanks
Message 3 of 5
wra0000

Well, I kept looking and found this: http://discussion.autodesk.com/WebX?14@227.RRJ7abuJqaN.9@.ee94296.

It took care of the error message about Cannot register player for mime types, but I am getting the following error still:

Failed to update the system registry.
Please try using REGEDIT.

Since it works correctly as the admin at the console, I assume it is attempting to make some type of user level reg entry, which is not allowed on Terminal Server. Does anyone know what it might be trying to edit in the registry so that I can grant users permission to that specific key?

Thanks
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I found this in a previous post and it works but I'm still getting the 'Cannot register player for mime types' error.

The link you provide doesn't take me to the actual message thread. Could you post the fix?

Thanks,

Jason

If you open voloview.exe with reshacker, there is a REGISTRY entry, and under that are additional entries which actually determine which registry keys get written to by voloview. I changed all HKLM entries to HKCU, and HKCR entries to HKCU\Software\Classes, remembering to select "compile script" before changing screens, and saving the result. Running Voloview after that showed it was hitting only 2 registry keys, HKCR\Voloview.Document.1 and HKCR\CLSID\{6C9FD2AD-78FA-11d2-9208-0060B0870405}. I changed the permissions on these keys to full control for users and no more problems.
Message 5 of 5
adavenport

After long hours of searching discussion boards, I ran accross this set if instructions that actually resolved my problem. My problem was security settings in Windows 2000 machines, Win 98 had no problem. regedt32 allows us to set security permissions in the registry. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Good luck,
Alan

Instructions for setting the registry for Volo View Express
· This is not needed for Windows 98
By default only members of the local power users or administrators group are able to run Volo View or Volo View Express, when installed on Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
We have received several reports that some administrators or managers would like members of the users group (restricted) to be able to run Volo View or Volo View Express.
Answer:
Answer:
Portions of the Windows 2000 registry are set as read only for the users group. To allow members of the users group to run Volo View or Volo View Express, permissions must be changed on some of the registry keys.
NOTE: This procedure also affects other applications from AutoDesk installed on your machine.
WARNING: Backup the system and the registry before making any of these changes.
Use the following procedure to change the registry permissions:
1. Log on as a member of the local administrators group.
2. Start REGEDT32.EXE by going to Start | Run, type regedt32 and press the enter key
3. The Registry Editor is now running.
4. Click in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window to make it active.
5. Click on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key to make it the active key.
6. Click on the Security pulldown.
7. Click on Permissions
8. Click the Advanced button.
9. Click on the Users group for the local machine to highlight it.
* If you want to set permissions for only the user of this machine, then add the user here and set these permissions for that user only.

10. Click the View/Edit button.
11. The Permissions Entry for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is now displayed.
12. Under the Allow section, check all boxes except Write DAC and Write Owner.
13. Click the OK button three times to return to the base Registry Editor window. This may take a few minutes while the registry permissions are updated.
14. Click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window to make it active.
15. Double-click Software to expand it.
16. Click on AutoDesk to make it the active key.
17. Click on the Security pulldown.
18. Click on Permissions
19. Click the Advanced button.
20. Click on the Users group for the local machine to highlight it.
21. Click the View/Edit button.
22. The Permissions Entry for AutoDesk is now displayed.
23. Under the Allow section, check all boxes except Write DAC and Write Owner.
24. Click the OK button three times to return to the base Registry Editor window. This may take a few minutes while the registry permissions are updated.
25. Log in with an account that is a member of the users group and test that AutoCAD can now be run.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report