DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I convert the open drawing?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mailbox
1054 Views, 10 Replies

Can I convert the open drawing?

Hi All

Is there a way of converting the open drawing so it saves a copy and not overwriting the original file? Basically like a save as command?

I want our purchasing department to have the ability to open a drawing that is linked to our stock control system and then save a copy to there desktop so they can email the drawings with the purchase order.

I know you can convert a file by navigating to it but our drawings are buried deep in our folder structures and they will get confused.

Or is there any other software that will enable them to view a drawing and save a copy as so they don't have to dig around the folders?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: mailbox

Click on the DWG Convert...

Click on Conversion Setups in the left middle of the dialog

From Conversion Package Type choose Folder (set of files)

Then name the Folder path in the dropdown that is available to you

OK

Message 3 of 11
pendean

... or make a copy of the file you have, called some something unique, then convert it and overwrite it. I'm not sure why you need software to simply copy and rename a file for you, this is a core basic Computer Operating System ability everywhere.

Just curious about your question... .
Message 4 of 11
mailbox
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Cheers for the reply.

I have tried your suggestion but I cannot seem to convert the drawing I have open.

I dont want to have to navigate to the file location. I just convert what is open in trueview, am I doing something wrong as there is nothing in the list and the only way I can see a file in the list is by clicking Add File in the Files Tree box and navigating to the actual file.

Here is what I have done.

I press DWG Convert.

Conversions Setups.

Highlight "Convert to 2004 (in-place)" and click New and accept the name.

Change the conversions package type to "Folder (set of files)"

File format = Trueview 2004

Conversion file folder = .....\Desktop\DWG

The only other things that are checked are "Maintain visual fidelity for annotative objects" and "Keep files and folders as is".

Cheers

Message 5 of 11
pendean

ScreenShot001.jpg

Message 6 of 11
mailbox
in reply to: pendean

Ok let me try and explain myself and what I am trying to achieve.

We use AutoCAD 2014, some of our suppliers require drawings in 2004.

I don't really want to copy and certainly don't want to rename the files, I am just trying to figure out a way for our purchasing department to be able to view and e-mail a drawing rather than them constantly requesting the files from the drawing office.

The drawing office has file management software to open, create & search for drawings but the Purchasing department does not have access to that software. However the software they do have allows us to link documents via hyperlink to a product. So my thought was we put a hyperlink to the dwg file on there system so they can click the link it opens the drawing in Trueview or similar software and they can then save as/convert which will put a copy of the drawing in a folder on there desktop.

Now the drawing office's file management software only allows us to have 6 digits as a file name and our part numbers are 20 digits so without the drawing offices management software it would be imposable for the purchasing department to find the file they are looking for plus our folder structure is a mess and run 10+ folders deep so navigating to the dwg file is imposable.

I hope that makes sense, but I have come to the conculsion Trueview cannot convert the open drawing.

Cheers

Message 7 of 11
Charles_Shade

I can confirm that the choices shown in the Screenshot will convert a 2014 format drawing to 2000,

The file was opened in notebook and showed AC1015 version which is the 2000 version.

And does save the File to the Desktop though you may want to play around with the path options.

Convert.jpg

Message 8 of 11
mailbox
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hopfully this may explain better. I dont want to navigate to the file I want to convert the already open file.

Trueview.jpg

Message 9 of 11
Charles_Shade

Open Help, Converting, List of Files. Current list is blank by default.

You can however save a list of files that need to be converted and grab from those.

Purchasing will just have to do a little leg work.

Message 10 of 11
pendean

OK, I see what you mean: it's not designed that way. Sorry. The conversion tool is standalone inside DTV and doesn't talk to DTV, not so inside AutoCAD and most other CAD software.

You'll have to find another program/vendor from another source to do it, test before you commit, I don't think what you want is freeware but I've not looked on your behalf.
Message 11 of 11
mailbox
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for all your replys.

I will look into other ways to do it.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report