DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD files auto open into TrueView

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
ryan.hall
7191 Views, 16 Replies

ACAD files auto open into TrueView

Since installing TrueView, I've noticed that every single file on my server has automatically changed file types to a DWG TrueView Drawing, and instead of opening in ACAD it decides to open up my .dwg in TrueView.  How can I set ACAD to be the automatic program to open my .dwg files again?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: ryan.hall

Start AutoCAD: oepn and close files. Your PC will remember AutoCAD as the app until the next time you use TV (they are both technically AutoCAD and Windows cannot distinguish between either).

We set up right-click options in Windows Explorer and actively jump between apps and it works for us: that's a built-in feature in Windows. See screenshot.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

To switch back to Autocad as your Default program do the following:

Double Click on My Computer

Select Tools

Select Folder Options

Select File Types Tab

Scroll Down the Registered File Types list and select DWG

Under the Opens With select the Change Button

Scroll thru the list of programs and select AutoCad

Make sure the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked

Select OK

All of your icons should change back to AutoCad automatically and when selected should now open AutoCad.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 17
ryan.hall
in reply to: Anonymous

Changing the folder option did fix the issue with what program was opening cad files.

Ive now come across a second issue - I have 2 versions of autocad installed on my PC, acad 2004 and acad mechanical 2008. I use 2008 the majority of the time especially when it comes to opening newer files.

It seems the .exe files to open cad for 2004 and 2008 are the same and when I select the acad.exe out of my mechanical 2008 folder everything still seems to want to auto open in 2004.

How can I set my options so acad mechanical 2008 will always be my default program to open any .dwg file?

Thanks

Message 5 of 17
pendean

Windows has a SEND TO as well as an OPEN WITH options when you right-click over a file: we use that to open DWG files in the chosen app and not rely on Windows to manage it for us.

Go into your Windows Profile folders and drag the apps shortcuts there and take back control.

Message 6 of 17
ttm_design

I had this issue come up several months ago, followed the steps previously listed, but still had the problem. I tried several other fixes without success before deciding to uninstall TrueView completely, as I only needed it occasionally to open drawings created in 2011.

Last week I reinstalled TrueView and the issue returned. I've just followed the steps previously listed again, and still no joy. The funny thing is that all dwg files are listed as AutoCAD drawings under 'type' (as shown on the attached screen capture), but still open with TrueView when I double click. The only other thing to note that I already have AutoCAD running which makes it even stranger that TrueView gets opened at all.

Message 7 of 17
ryan.hall

Exact same thing happen to me, continued to get so fed up I wanted to break something then just complety unistalled truview. I do not plan on reinstalling this crap ever...unless specifically needed to convert but it WILL be uninstalled right after. ****s broke.

Message 8 of 17
pendean

Ensure AutoCAD DWG LAUNCHER is associated with the DWG file in Windows, nothing else. Then follow the advice posted above.

Message 9 of 17
ssx_Autodesk
in reply to: pendean

i think this is the most asinine issue ever.

if windows sees two different apps as the same one, then the developer needs to make a distinction.

not much else to say without hitting my capslock key 🙂

oh well, viva la autodesk!

Message 10 of 17
ssx_Autodesk
in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

i guess this is also why autodesk has always maintained that "double-clicking a file in your file manager" is an unsupported method of opening acad files.

(which is also insane.)

Message 11 of 17
ttm_design

Thanks for your help Owen. I now know two more things that I didn't when I woke up this morning.

Firstly, I am now aware that Autodesk has stated, somewhere, that "double-clicking a file in your file manager" is an unsupported method of opening acad files. Sorry but I have never read all of Autodesk's terms & conditions. I guess that's why I come to a forum such as this for an answer.

Secondly, I now know the meaning of the work "asinine". I had to look it up, but I feel much better for the experience.

Thank you again for your help Owen which I found rather asinine.

While I'm here, the original problem continues. I had another go at trying the suggested solutions but with no success. I've unintalled and reinstalled TrueView two more times but the novelty of this has now worn off. I'm now going back to the original senders of 2011 drawings I receive and ask them to resend in 2008. So far so good.

Message 12 of 17
pendean
in reply to: ttm_design

In Windows Explorer

Right-click over any DWG file

Select OPEN WITH

Select AutoCAD DWG LAUNCHER

Now Start AutoCAD, not the viewer, open a file, edit and Save/close: this does not need to be a special thing to do on it's own, presumably based on your many responses you would be doing this anyway to work so do it as part of your "work".

Unless you start DTV again, double-clicking a DWG file will launch your AutoCAD only.

99% success rate for all users: are you that 1%?

The power user method if using multiple apps with a DWG format:

Open your Send To folder in Windows (Win7 and Vista HERE, or WinXP HERE, or you can search Google for more info).

Add your preferred program shortcuts (AutoCAD, DTV, whateverCAD3000 etc.).

BTW, you can also add other destinations for other files and folders too.

Now when you want to open a DWG file in another program other than the alst one used, just right-click and SEND TO the program deliberately.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Hi, sorry for hijacking your thread. Is there a way to sabe .dwg files locally when in Truview? I'm trying to help out a colleague. Thanks, G.

Message 14 of 17
pendean

Save Locally from where? How is the source accessed in the first place?

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. We use Documentum, so the file is server based. I can "Edit" the file out of the server or I cab "View" it read only. Either way I've got it to open with Trueview. When in Trueview I don't see an option to save the file locally. I am able to "view" other file formats whether they be Word, Excel, Project etc and save a local copy. Can't see that function in Trueview. Any help much appreciated.

G

Message 16 of 17
pendean

Trueview is a basic viewer with not writing ability: Save and SaveAS as considered 'writing'.

If you want to trick it into doing something similar, try the Convert feature, which creates new files.

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks for this. I had told him to do this already, will give it a bash, thanks for the help.

G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report