Did you mean: 

DWF 2D Writer x64 Problems

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
lucchez20
4258 Views, 15 Replies

DWF 2D Writer x64 Problems

Hello all,

I am running Win7 64 bit and have recently installed the 64 bit 2D Writer (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=10798732#) but have been unable to get it to function. When I plot from a non-Autodesk program using the *.DWFX file extension I receive the following error (when I attempt to open the newly created file in Design Review 2011): "Your current version of Design Review does not support files of this type."

When I then attempt to create the another file using the *.DWF file extension (saving to desktop), I receive this error:  "Path does not exist. Please verify the correct path was given." 

Originally I thought it may have been a permissions issue (with reference to the error received while trying to create a *.DWF), but now I'm not so sure. I am able to create plots to the same location with PDF printers...

Any thoughts?

Respectfully,

Jason Biagio

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dickyshu
in reply to: lucchez20

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting your problems while using 64-bit DWF Writer.

Please see my comments for your 2 issues:

<1> "Your current version of Design Review does not support files of this type."

We did not meet this issue before, as you said, you use a non-Autodesk program to create DWFx, do you mind let us know what program you used? The non-Autodesk programs we tested were list in DWF Writer readme, please check if the program you are using is in that list. Or you could attached that .DWFx file so that we can have an investigation on it.

<2>  "Path does not exist. Please verify the correct path was given."

Could you please try to use "Administrator" account to do the same workflow again? This is a security issue of non-admin account and we will follow up this issue.

Thanks again for using 64-bit DWF Writer.

Regards,

-Dicky

Dicky Shu

SQA Engineer

DWF Writer Customer Support

Autodesk

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 16
lucchez20

Dicky,

After further investigation it appears that the DWF Writer wasn't fully installed. I checked to see if my user had proper permissions (it did) and tried to install it again with the local admin user and received a "Failed to create monitor" error during install. I then re-ran the installation file and clicked "Run as Administrator" (even while logged in as such) and the installation completed. I was still unable to create a proper plot. I tried using Word 2003 and Excel 2003 (even though they weren't listed in the readme). I even tried using Internet Explorer 8 to no avail. I attempted to save the plots as DWFX and DWF. The DWFX plots were generated but the file size was only 408 bytes...so something is amiss. The DWF plots give me the same error "Path does not exist". I am still not convinced that it is not a "permissions" issue.

Respectfully yours,

Jason

Message 4 of 16
dickyshu

Thanks for your reply, Jason.

The error "Failed to create monitor" should be caused by you do not have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64 installed before you install 64bit DWF Writer. Actually, the installer you get from Autodesk website should include this component. Could you please verify if it has been installed on your machine?

I cannot reproduce the "Path does not exist" issue on 2 of my windows 7 x64 machines if I use "Administrator" user. Is there something we missed?

Regards,

-Dicky

Dicky Shu

SQA Engineer

Autodesk

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 16
lucchez20

Hello Dicky,

I verified that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64 was installed and even went so far as to install the SP1 of the same package. I still believe that the problem lies with the creation of the monitor as the DWFX files that are created from Excel, Word, IE 8 are all 408 bytes in size (which leads me to believe that the file is not being fully generated) and even plots from the "Printer Preferences" "Test Page" generate the same errors (extremely small DWFX that fail to open and DWF that fail to be created entirely (Path does not exist). I believe that the "Path does not exist" error occurs because the DWF plot file in question is never generated as it never makes it past the monitor. It is speculation at this point because I am running out of ideas.

Respectfully,

Jason

Message 6 of 16
dickyshu

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, we already have a defect about this, development team is tracking it and try to get it resolved.

Thank you for your patient and valuable information.

Regards,

-Dicky

Dicky Shu

SQA Engineer

Autodesk

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 16
tim.turner
in reply to: dickyshu

Has there been any progress in the "Path does not exist." error? We waited until the updated version and installed it approximately a month ago and still get the path error.

Message 8 of 16
dickyshu
in reply to: tim.turner

Hi Tim,

It's great that you're keeping an eye on our DWF Writer for 64bit, thank you for your attention and patient.

This is definitely a defect, and it stays in our tracking list, I cannot assure when the update will be available.

Here is a workaround:

You can print the file using "Administrator"(System build-in) user.

Please note that only in administrator's group is not enough, it needs the real system build-in "Administrator" account.

Appology any inconvenience.

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 16
MarkMazour

I too am having issues with this; Windows 7, 64 bit machines, users are in the Administrators group. We are seeing the same error messages as noted in the original post.

I have found that changing the UAC User Account Control Settings from "Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer" to "Never notify me when:" seems to resolve the issue.

I don't know if that helps you in tracing down the defect.

Message 10 of 16
dickyshu
in reply to: MarkMazour

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for providing a solution for this problem.

Tim, you can try this method as well to see if it works for you.

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 16
tim.turner

We are locked down prettty tightly by IT. It will have to work outside of the admin group but I will ask them to try it wit the users group.

Message 12 of 16
gary.gordon

This may have been resolved, but what is the solution for this...?

For obvious reasons we do not want to put our users in the Admin group.

We cannot print to DWF writer at all unless one is logged in as an administrator...

Are there registry keys which needs to be adjusted to allow users to create *.dwf documents without causing the "Interactive Services Detection" pop-up...?

Thank You very much for your time and help

Message 13 of 16
jvondra
in reply to: gary.gordon

Has this issue been resolved?  I am experiencing the same problem.  The Administrator can print without issue, Power Users cannot.

Message 14 of 16
pendean

Jvondra, you answered your own question sadly.
Message 15 of 16

It is 2023 now and the DWF print driver issue was apparently never resolved. It will create a DWFx but not a DWF.

Sadly, the support from Autodesk has been going downhill for some time not and I am starting to believe that the users of other modeling platforms may be correct in their distain for Autodesk products.

Message 16 of 16

@Tom.DiGregorio2DPCZ6 wrote:

It is 2023 now and the DWF print driver issue was apparently never resolved. It will create a DWFx but not a DWF.

Sadly, the support from Autodesk has been going downhill for some time not and I am starting to believe that the users of other modeling platforms may be correct in their distain for Autodesk products.

DWFWriter is from 10+years ago, a freeware that has no support on this site. Never has either. I'm not even sure the developer team at Autodesk actually still even works there anymore.

May I ask why do you all need it, and what program you use that needs DWF/DWFx output?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services