Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 98 Installation Problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
259 Views, 5 Replies

Windows 98 Installation Problem

Trying to install the current version of the viewer (downloaded 5.1.14.917 from web and ran set up) on a number of Windows 98 machines.
receiving error message: "Your system has following characteristics System version Windows 98B (4.10.2222)
IE Version 6.00
Display Settings: 1024 x 768 x 32
Autodesk DWFV 5.1 has the following min requirements.:
Windows 98 SP1
IE 5.00
Display Settings 800 x 600 x 8
Can anyone advise what Windows SP1 is - the machines are fully patched with all Microsoft Critical updates.
Any suggestions welcome
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

System Requirements

Intel® Pentium®-based PC, 200MHz processor or faster
Microsoft Windows XP Home or Professional, Windows 2000 (SP1 or higher), Windows 98 SE, Windows Me or Windows NT® 4.0 (SP6 or higher)
32MB RAM (minimum)
800x600 video display or higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher (IE 5.5 required for Windows NT and recommended for all users)

SP1 is for win 2000
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for that.

Sorry, my post should have read "Autodesk DWF Viewer 5.1 has the following minimum requirements: System Version Windows 98 SP1..."
I have tried rolling back Internet Explorer to version 5.00.2 in case it was the encryption in IE 6 but still the same error message. Looks to me as though the installer cannot accurately deduce which operating system is installed.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Let me take a guess and say you are running an IBM workstation. Murph "stevin" wrote in message news:24868431.1108567618456.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks for that. > > Sorry, my post should have read "Autodesk DWF Viewer 5.1 has the following minimum requirements: System Version Windows 98 SP1..." > I have tried rolling back Internet Explorer to version 5.00.2 in case it was the encryption in IE 6 but still the same error message. Looks to me as though the installer cannot accurately deduce which operating system is installed.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

hi Murph

No, the machines concerned are Toshiba Satellite Pro laptops (6000/6100). Can you explain why the hardware should have an impact or, if possible, a workaround?
Thanks
Stevin
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Can't tell you how to fix your problem but can tell a story with IBM workstations and Win95 OS. A number of years ago we ended up getting a lot of IBM workstations when we did away with terminals and the old IBM AS400 OS. Being our IT at the time was an IBM guy we went with all IBM machines except for the CAD stations. Later when they went to install some other software on them they found out that the Win95 OS was a waterdown Win95 (hence the "B") even though it was with Microsoft's approval IBM rewrote the OS and called it Win95B, reason being it was their boxes and they only need certain parts of an OS for their preinstalled programs. However to be legal they did include the complete Win95 on a CD. Today I think they call the "B" version OEM version. (?) All I can say is check with Toshiba and see if the Win98B is the same or try to update the OS to a full version. My guess anyways, may point you in the right direction may not. Murph "stevin" wrote in message news:3367680.1108845225675.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > hi Murph > > No, the machines concerned are Toshiba Satellite Pro laptops (6000/6100). > Can you explain why the hardware should have an impact or, if possible, a > workaround? > Thanks > Stevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report