Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

markup ability

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
424 Views, 18 Replies

markup ability

I was under the false impression that the DWF Viewer would be able to markup DWF files. The whole point of creating dwf's for customer review was the fact that they could then mark up the dwf file with a free viewer. Now I find out that even if we go to the trouble of creating dwf's, AND the customer goes to the trouble of downloading and installing the DWF Viewer, they still can't markup dwf files. This is a serious limitation in my view. I could probably convince SOME of our customer to use the free DWF Viewer to view dwf's but if they have to buy the DWF Composer, why would I even bother with dwf? Why cant DWF Viewer have markup ability?????? Jim Shipley
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Autodesk sells DWF Composer for the markup and measure capability. Autodesk DWF Composer even includes a DWG Viewer that will allow you to generate a DWF from a DWG. If a user marks up a DWF using Autodesk DWF Composer, another user with the free Autodesk DWF Viewer can view the markups. So in essence, viewing is free, but the ability to actually make a markup is a low cost piece of software (less than $200). You can download a free trial of Autodesk DWF Composer (not the DWG Viewer part) at: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4492735&linkID=4083878. Autodesk makes almost everything about DWF free: the viewer, the toolkit, the DWF Writer. Autodesk includes DWF generating capabilities in all of its products at no extra charge. The part that Autodesk charges for is markup and measurement. Believe it or not, we would like to make some money off of DWF applications - not the format itself. "Jim Shipley" wrote in message news:42419296_3@newsprd01... >I was under the false impression that the DWF Viewer would be able to >markup > DWF files. The whole point of creating dwf's for customer review was the > fact that they could then mark up the dwf file with a free viewer. Now I > find out that even if we go to the trouble of creating dwf's, AND the > customer goes to the trouble of downloading and installing the DWF Viewer, > they still can't markup dwf files. This is a serious limitation in my > view. > I could probably convince SOME of our customer to use the free DWF Viewer > to > view dwf's but if they have to buy the DWF Composer, why would I even > bother > with dwf? > > Why cant DWF Viewer have markup ability?????? > > Jim Shipley > >
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for us and them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction would still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not require our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's. Jim "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message news:4241d6f3_3@newsprd01... > Autodesk sells DWF Composer for the markup and measure capability. Autodesk > DWF Composer even includes a DWG Viewer that will allow you to generate a > DWF from a DWG. If a user marks up a DWF using Autodesk DWF Composer, > another user with the free Autodesk DWF Viewer can view the markups. So in > essence, viewing is free, but the ability to actually make a markup is a low > cost piece of software (less than $200). You can download a free trial of > Autodesk DWF Composer (not the DWG Viewer part) at: > http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4492735&linkID=4083878. > Autodesk makes almost everything about DWF free: the viewer, the toolkit, > the DWF Writer. Autodesk includes DWF generating capabilities in all of its > products at no extra charge. The part that Autodesk charges for is markup > and measurement. Believe it or not, we would like to make some money off of > DWF applications - not the format itself. > > "Jim Shipley" wrote in message > news:42419296_3@newsprd01... > >I was under the false impression that the DWF Viewer would be able to > >markup > > DWF files. The whole point of creating dwf's for customer review was the > > fact that they could then mark up the dwf file with a free viewer. Now I > > find out that even if we go to the trouble of creating dwf's, AND the > > customer goes to the trouble of downloading and installing the DWF Viewer, > > they still can't markup dwf files. This is a serious limitation in my > > view. > > I could probably convince SOME of our customer to use the free DWF Viewer > > to > > view dwf's but if they have to buy the DWF Composer, why would I even > > bother > > with dwf? > > > > Why cant DWF Viewer have markup ability?????? > > > > Jim Shipley > > > > > >
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

So how do you do the markup process now? "Jim Shipley" wrote in message news:4241df4a$1_1@newsprd01... > I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for us > and > them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free > viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction > would > still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not require > our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

You want a free tool to generate income: I'd like a free car to drive to work. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

The Autodesk DWF Viewer is free. Autodesk DWF Composer generates income. My guess is that your current car has holes in the floor and is powered in a Fred Flinstone-like fashion. :-) "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message news:42422974_2@newsprd01... > You want a free tool to generate income: I'd like a free car to drive to > work. > > -- > Dean Saadallah > Add-on products for LT > http://www.pendean.com/lt > -- > >
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

We send dwg's or prints- "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message news:4241e4ef_3@newsprd01... > So how do you do the markup process now? > > "Jim Shipley" wrote in message > news:4241df4a$1_1@newsprd01... > > I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for us > > and > > them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free > > viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction > > would > > still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not require > > our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's. > >
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Google gave me this. http://www.leaseguide.com/articles/freecar.htm Murph "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message news:42422974_2@newsprd01... > You want a free tool to generate income: I'd like a free car to drive to > work. > > -- > Dean Saadallah > Add-on products for LT > http://www.pendean.com/lt > -- > >
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

When you did sent out a print before to a client for markups and reviews did you also sent out a free pen/pencil for them to mark it up, did "Bic" or "Sharpie" provide them a free marker? Murph "Jim Shipley" wrote in message news:4242d114_3@newsprd01... > We send dwg's or prints- > > > "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message > news:4241e4ef_3@newsprd01... > > So how do you do the markup process now? > > > > "Jim Shipley" wrote in message > > news:4241df4a$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for us > > > and > > > them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free > > > viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction > > > would > > > still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not > require > > > our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's. > > > > > >
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Based on this: 1. I assume that for the people to whom you send DWG files, they have AutoCAD. So they have paid a whopping price ($3850) to participate in the review process. They have a full seat of AutoCAD that will let them participate in the design creation process as well as the review process. 2. I assume that for the people to whom you send prints, they do it the old fashioned way. For these people, you could improve your turnaround time if you used an electronic process. It does however have a modest monetary cost. It would only be worth it if the time you save recoups the $99 cost of Autodesk DWF Composer. Millions of customers have found that DWF Composer is worth it. "Jim Shipley" wrote in message news:4242d114_3@newsprd01... > We send dwg's or prints- > > > "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message > news:4241e4ef_3@newsprd01... >> So how do you do the markup process now? >> >> "Jim Shipley" wrote in message >> news:4241df4a$1_1@newsprd01... >> > I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for us >> > and >> > them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free >> > viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction >> > would >> > still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not > require >> > our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's. >> >> > >
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

You may have a point. By the way, it's $199 now. Jim "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message news:424317ae$1_3@newsprd01... > Based on this: > > 1. I assume that for the people to whom you send DWG files, they have > AutoCAD. So they have paid a whopping price ($3850) to participate in the > review process. They have a full seat of AutoCAD that will let them > participate in the design creation process as well as the review process. > > 2. I assume that for the people to whom you send prints, they do it the old > fashioned way. For these people, you could improve your turnaround time if > you used an electronic process. It does however have a modest monetary cost. > It would only be worth it if the time you save recoups the $99 cost of > Autodesk DWF Composer. > > Millions of customers have found that DWF Composer is worth it. > > "Jim Shipley" wrote in message > news:4242d114_3@newsprd01... > > We send dwg's or prints- > > > > > > "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message > > news:4241e4ef_3@newsprd01... > >> So how do you do the markup process now? > >> > >> "Jim Shipley" wrote in message > >> news:4241df4a$1_1@newsprd01... > >> > I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for us > >> > and > >> > them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free > >> > viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction > >> > would > >> > still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not > > require > >> > our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's. > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

"Jim Shipley" <> wrote in message ... > You may have a point. By the way, it's $199 now. > > Jim > Even at that price it has to be cheaper than the deliver fees to mail/FedEx/Shipping or what ever method you use to sent the paper plots back and forth. The ROI is worth it. Murph
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

Does it mean that Autodesk sold more than 100 million dollars worth of Composer? "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message news:424317ae$1_3@newsprd01... > Based on this: > > 1. I assume that for the people to whom you send DWG files, they have > AutoCAD. So they have paid a whopping price ($3850) to participate in the > review process. They have a full seat of AutoCAD that will let them > participate in the design creation process as well as the review process. > > 2. I assume that for the people to whom you send prints, they do it the > old fashioned way. For these people, you could improve your turnaround > time if you used an electronic process. It does however have a modest > monetary cost. It would only be worth it if the time you save recoups the > $99 cost of Autodesk DWF Composer. > > Millions of customers have found that DWF Composer is worth it. > > "Jim Shipley" wrote in message > news:4242d114_3@newsprd01... >> We send dwg's or prints- >> >> >> "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in >> message >> news:4241e4ef_3@newsprd01... >>> So how do you do the markup process now? >>> >>> "Jim Shipley" wrote in message >>> news:4241df4a$1_1@newsprd01... >>> > I'm just saying that for our customers, it would be a no brainer for >>> > us >>> > and >>> > them to use DWF if they were able to mark up the dwf with a free >>> > viewer/markup tool. We would move in that direction. The distinction >>> > would >>> > still remain with Composer being able to open DWG's. We will not >> require >>> > our customers to purchase a viewer so that we can work with dwf's. >>> >>> >> >> > >
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

No. I can see how you can infer that. I was including the people who use the Autodesk DWF Viewer in conjunction with those who use Autodesk DWF Composer. We have sold a lot of DWF Composer though. I apologize for misleading you. "Leonid Raiz" wrote in message news:4243420a$1_2@newsprd01... > Does it mean that Autodesk sold more than 100 million dollars worth of > Composer? > > "Scott Sheppard - Autodesk" wrote in message > news:424317ae$1_3@newsprd01... >> Millions of customers have found that DWF Composer is worth it.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

This is all great and good. But I can create a pdf send it to a client. The client with a free viewer can open the file mark it up send it back to me. I can bring there markup's back into CAD and add their changes. No cost to my client and speedy turn around time. You would think it would be easy to stay in the same product line and get the same results.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

Adobe charges for the PDF Writer. Autodesk gives the DWF Writer away for free. Adobe's reader has free markup. Autodesk charges for markup via DWF Composer, but DWF Composer has powerful round tripping capabilities with AutoCAD. Staying within the Autodesk product line is easy and low cost, but not free. "ctallman" wrote in message news:6374345.1112301627340.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > This is all great and good. But I can create a pdf send it to a client. > The client with a free viewer can open the file mark it up send it back to > me. I can bring there markup's back into CAD and add their changes. No > cost to my client and speedy turn around time. You would think it would > be easy to stay in the same product line and get the same results.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

I think being in the position you are, you are missing the point. I have all the same round tripping capabilities with pdf, and I don't have to make my client spend another $200 to work with me. All I have to do is send the free viewer install file with my pdf file. They can install it and markup the files I send, and send them back. You guys are putting the cost in the wrong place. It's nothing for me to buy a PDF Writer and send a free viewer with markup tools. It's a lot to have my client purchase a $200 program to mark up files electronically. I would rather pay $4000 for autoCAD to buy the writer and have free mark tools in a viewer then pay $3850 and have to make my clients pay $200 for a viewer with markup tools. Hope this puts in perspective for you.

Chris
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

I understand your point. What I would personally do, is purchase a copy of Composer for my each of my clients. Just an idea, Ben "ctallman" wrote in message news:18854431.1112364222212.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I think being in the position you are, you are missing the point. I have >all the same round tripping capabilities with pdf, and I don't have to make >my client spend another $200 to work with me. All I have to do is send the >free viewer install file with my pdf file. They can install it and markup >the files I send, and send them back. You guys are putting the cost in the >wrong place. It's nothing for me to buy a PDF Writer and send a free viewer >with markup tools. It's a lot to have my client purchase a $200 program to >mark up files electronically. I would rather pay $4000 for autoCAD to buy >the writer and have free mark tools in a viewer then pay $3850 and have to >make my clients pay $200 for a viewer with markup tools. Hope this puts >in perspective for you. > > Chris
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

His point is that the original internet commerce model was that content creation cost money and viewing was free. Users buy AutoCAD. Users get the DWF Viewer for free. He likes that model. He considers markup more like viewing than content creation. I view adding markup geometry more like content creation. So it's not free. I believe it has value to our customers - so much so that Autodesk charges for it. In fact, it has such high customer value, Autodesk even gives away the DWF Writer (a content creation application) for free. I am under the impression that our market data does not suggest that the 4 million AutoCAD users are willing to pay more, so their downstream users can get markup for free. They would rather see the markup users pay for their own markup. "Ben Cochran" wrote in message news:424d7745$1_2@newsprd01... >I understand your point. What I would personally do, is purchase a copy of >Composer for my each of my clients. > > > > Just an idea, > > Ben > > > "ctallman" wrote in message > news:18854431.1112364222212.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>I think being in the position you are, you are missing the point. I have >>all the same round tripping capabilities with pdf, and I don't have to >>make my client spend another $200 to work with me. All I have to do is >>send the free viewer install file with my pdf file. They can install it >>and markup the files I send, and send them back. You guys are putting the >>cost in the wrong place. It's nothing for me to buy a PDF Writer and send >>a free viewer with markup tools. It's a lot to have my client purchase a >>$200 program to mark up files electronically. I would rather pay $4000 >>for autoCAD to buy the writer and have free mark tools in a viewer then >>pay $3850 and have to make my clients pay $200 for a viewer with markup >>tools. Hope this puts in perspective for you. >> >> Chris > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report