Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing DWF for Mac

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
1angela
353 Views, 7 Replies

Installing DWF for Mac

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a new home builder just trying to view our plans. We were told to use DWF, but we both use Mac's. I assume I am to use DWF 6 so I downloaded "dwftk6.exe", but it says, "there is no default application specified to open the document...".

What else do I need to download in order to view our house plans in dwf format on our Mac's?

Thanks for taking the time 😉

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
heywood_si
in reply to: 1angela

Unfortunately you are stuck. There is no free DWF viewer for Mac OS X currently available. And further more no real viable paid for solution.

This thread: http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=307338 would seem to imply the hold up is at Autodesk, although other threads have put the blame on Apple. Either way, I wouldn't hold out for it.

Sorry,

Si.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Your choices are to buy and install a Windows emulator on your mac then install the freebie viewer, or buy something like this http://www.cadviewer.com/products/cv.htm -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Autodesk and Apple are working on a port of the DWF Viewer to the Macintosh. It will not be available in the short term. Sorry. The process for handling fonts is more difficult than either company first envisioned. More of the Autodesk code has to be rewritten to be less Windows-specific. Our DWF toolkit is already platform independent. But the toolkit is only one part of the viewer. So for now you should get PC emulation software for your Macintosh and run our free DWF Viewer. An alternative would be to use a Java-based solution such as the one available from www.cadviewer.com. "1angela" wrote in message news:10035792.1108978631434.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a new home builder just trying to view our plans. We were told to use DWF, but we both use Mac's. I assume I am to use DWF 6 so I downloaded "dwftk6.exe", but it says, "there is no default application specified to open the document...". > > What else do I need to download in order to view our house plans in dwf format on our Mac's? > > Thanks for taking the time ;) > > Newbie
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

"our" and @autodesk.com...so are you back?

Dan
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Yes. I am a DWF Technical Evangelist reporting to Brian Mathews. "J. Daniel Smith" wrote in message news:421b6bcf_2@newsprd01... > "our" and @autodesk.com...so are you back?
Message 7 of 8
heywood_si

It's good to hear an informative response. I think the best middle to long term option may lie with http://darwine.opendarwin.org/ . Fingers crossed eventually the .exe for the viewer will be able to run. In the meantime hopefully some clever people (is there anyone at Autodesk who has a personal interest in OS X?) will recompile the viewer using Darwine. Perhaps this is possible for someone in the public domain to do using the DWF toolkit?
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

In your situation (well, not quite -- my audience is academic and a high percentage of them use Macs) I used the java viewer from www.cadviewer.com as an alternate for Mac users -- seems to work OK and a bare-bones version is (or was) free. Michael Porter 1angela wrote: >Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a new home builder just trying to view our plans. We were told to use DWF, but we both use Mac's. I assume I am to use DWF 6 so I downloaded "dwftk6.exe", but it says, "there is no default application specified to open the document...". > >What else do I need to download in order to view our house plans in dwf format on our Mac's? > >Thanks for taking the time ;) > >Newbie Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder mporter at mp-marine.com www.mp-marine.com Cartography: www.cba-inst.org

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report