Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black and White in Viewer

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Jeff Holloway
459 Views, 16 Replies

Black and White in Viewer

I have just upgraded from Voloview to DWF Viewer. I am disappointed to see that the "Black and White" view is not available in viewer since I used it virtually all the time so that I could clearly see all the layers. How do I do the exact same function in DWF Viewer. Please don't tell me that I can't do it since I will then have to switch back to Voloview.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff Holloway

It's the file publisher/creator that now controls file content, not the viewer. That is how it should be IMHO. So, unless you also print-plot in color, you/the file creator need to issue 'back-and-white' DWF files. VoloView is a DWG viewer and that feature is very useful there and happened to be carried over through DWF. But DWF is a 'final' output published file and the publisher needs to control output format. VV is also a dead-end product, will not be developed beyond current version, so watch your reliance on it. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 17

Thanks Dean - that is what I was afraid that someone would say.

1) You say Voloview is a dead end product - which is why I spent my money to get DWF Viewer and Composer.

2) I am an engineer - the drafting types send me a DWG file and all I want to do is Look at it on my screen in Back and white and mark it up in red - then send it back. I can do this in Voloview - are you saying that I can not do it in the new product? I have a feeling that we are moving backwards here a bit.

Jeff
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Have you tried to plot to DWF from DWG Viewer using a monochrome ctb file and then open the DWF in Composer and mark it up? -- Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com Take a look at JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com More on AutoCAD 2005; www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm "Jeff Holloway" wrote in message news:17885824.1090012394755.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Dean - that is what I was afraid that someone would say. > > 1) You say Voloview is a dead end product - which is why I spent my money to get DWF Viewer and Composer. > > 2) I am an engineer - the drafting types send me a DWG file and all I want to do is Look at it on my screen in Back and white and mark it up in red - then send it back. I can do this in Voloview - are you saying that I can not do it in the new product? I have a feeling that we are moving backwards here a bit. > > Jeff
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Autodesk has determined the file creator gets total control, not you. Like your newspaper and magazines, the publisher decides how you get it. AutoCAD is for controlling DWG files and content, DWF Composer does not do that. If you need that level of control, you need to explore at least a seat of AutoCAD LT perhaps if you want to stick with Autodesk product line to get the DWF you seek (of course, that would be mute since you can redline with LT), or explore other 3rd party developers and products and options. Volo View is different, it is misleading for them to advertise DWF Composer as an upgrade, and it is impractical for you or anyone else to think the same. Apples and Oranges comparison, they do not and are not ever meant to do the same tasks. Unfortunately, the whole DWF thing is not really fully realized yet, and IMHO, you are only the next tier of product testing for Autodesk, they really should be paying you to use it. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 6 of 17

Thanks dean - I don't want them to pay me - just listen. My local newpaper publisher is wise enough to use black ink so that their readers can see it. if it was in yellow ink - do you think anyone would buy it?

It is an easy fix - one that needs to be at the top of the TO DO list if they are not going to maintain the Voloview product.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Using the Viewer API you can to this today. AdView.Viewer.SetBlackAndWhite (); Ben "Jeff Holloway" wrote in message news:7140724.1090466750313.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > Thanks dean - I don't want them to pay me - just listen. My local newpaper publisher is wise enough to use black ink so that their readers can see it. if it was in yellow ink - do you think anyone would buy it? > > It is an easy fix - one that needs to be at the top of the TO DO list if they are not going to maintain the Voloview product.
Message 8 of 17

Can you give me more detail on how I would input that command in DWG Viewer. thanks.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

This is an API for the DWF Viewer and Composer only. Ben "Jeff Holloway" wrote in message news:4580467.1092629674182.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Can you give me more detail on how I would input that command in DWG Viewer. thanks.
Message 10 of 17

Ok - my problem is I open the DWG - turn it black and white so I can see it - redline it - then save it as dwf and send back to draftsman. That is why Volo view is perfect.
Message 11 of 17
evillar

When are we going to stop adding features only to remove them later? Why can't the Autodesk developers just add a feature that would allow a publisher to give permissions in the viewed file to print in B/W, turn off/on layers, etc. This would seem to satisfy everyone. Lets be more flexible and robust to be competitive. Some one will definietly come up with this features someday. Hopes its Autodesk.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I missed the earlier part of the thread. But: 1. A person publishing a DWF can elect to include or not include layer info. If the layer info is not included, the receiving user can't turn them on/off. If the layer info is included, the user can. 2. When a user received a DWF file with color information in it, he can print the DWF in color or black and white. What am I missing here? "evillar" wrote in message news:8036263.1107622852117.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > When are we going to stop adding features only to remove them later? Why can't the Autodesk developers just add a feature that would allow a publisher to give permissions in the viewed file to print in B/W, turn off/on layers, etc. This would seem to satisfy everyone. Lets be more flexible and robust to be competitive. Some one will definietly come up with this features someday. Hopes its Autodesk.
Message 13 of 17
Ron C

I`am new to DWF viewer
Why does a DWF file created in Acad-lt2004 with some
objects draw in "White" not show up in the DWF viewer
with the background set to "Black" ?
All layers were on when creating DWF.
Thanks for any info on this
Ron.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

A DWF file is like an electronic plot. The background is white to look like paper. You can set your background color to black. "Ron C" wrote in message news:23070287.1112622204611.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I`am new to DWF viewer > Why does a DWF file created in Acad-lt2004 with some > objects draw in "White" not show up in the DWF viewer > with the background set to "Black" ? > All layers were on when creating DWF. > Thanks for any info on this > Ron.
Message 15 of 17
Ron C

Hi Scott
I understand the black/white issues, but in my DWF viewer ver 5.0 even when I change the background to "Black" white objects don't appear at all! They do with the white background
and show up as Black (as they should Like ACAD) But since many of our drawings use a light grey....they are impossible to read with a white back ground
Should not the viewer be designed like ACAD to make "White" objects "Black" when used with a white background, and white when used with a black backgroound ?
Thanks Scott
Ron
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

I was able to set the background color which controlled the color around the virtual piece of paper. I was able to set the paper color which controlled the paper color. Alas as you have observed, neither of these forced a change to the color of my geometry. "Ron C" wrote in message news:31275618.1112628123480.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi Scott > I understand the black/white issues, but in my DWF viewer ver 5.0 even > when I change the background to "Black" white objects don't appear at all! > They do with the white background > and show up as Black (as they should Like ACAD) But since many of our > drawings use a light grey....they are impossible to read with a white back > ground > Should not the viewer be designed like ACAD to make "White" objects > "Black" when used with a white background, and white when used with a > black backgroound ? > Thanks Scott > Ron
Message 17 of 17
Ron C

Thank you Scott !

If they can just correct this issue.....(patch)
It would help ALOT of users !
I`ve already been down the Voloview 1.0 path...
don't want to go back !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report