Message 1 of 19 (157 Views)

ActiveX / Security settings

157 Views, 18 Replies
10-27-2004 06:51 AM

*Ross Smith
Message 2 of 19 (157 Views)

Re: ActiveX / Security settings

10-27-2004 06:51 AM in reply to: Anonymous
Hi, I'm not sure if this will work with NT, but it's worth a try since I think it's an Internet Explorer issue rather than being specific to NT. In the DWF viewer folder, edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line with "". Then add www.autodesk.com to your trusted sites within Internet Explorer. See my post dated 26/10 for some explanation of this and my rant at Autodesk - I'm not impressed that I've had to fix this myself when so many other people are experiencing the same problem I'd be very interested to hear whether this fixes your particular problem, can you please reply to this post with your results. thanks, Ross Smith Network Manager Robinson Construction "Aceralice" wrote in message news:230_f197d27.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb... I am using IE 5.5 and have just installed AEV 4.0 on a NT4 PC. I am getting security messages re ActiveX controls and don't know which setting to adjust to get AEV to work. AEV 3.1 didn't give me these messages, so I am confused. Any advice for me ? Thanks.
*Wm.J.Townsend
Message 3 of 19 (157 Views)

10-27-2004 06:58 PM in reply to: Anonymous
That's just a comment line and only displays information to the person editing the file. -Bill > Ross Smith wrote: > edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line > with ""
*Ross Smith
Message 4 of 19 (157 Views)

10-28-2004 01:09 AM in reply to: Anonymous
Yes it is just a comment, but if you read Microsoft's articles on this, you will find that this is how they are getting around the problem of executing locally stored code since their recent security updates: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;883866 and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx While the HTML specs say this is just a comment, Microsoft have obviously added some more non-standard functionality into IE to work around the security problems. It's a bit of a bodge, but it does work. Ross "Wm.J.Townsend" wrote in message news:41805257.77879D27@gte.net... That's just a comment line and only displays information to the person editing the file. -Bill > Ross Smith wrote: > edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line > with "" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Wm.J.Townsend · October 2004©
*Wm.J.Townsend
Message 5 of 19 (157 Views)

10-28-2004 11:20 AM in reply to: Anonymous
Great. Something else to aid the dark side. I'll need to read up on (any) XP SP2 goodies to learn more, but wouldn't simply adding to exploitive pages circumvent this non-standard "security" device? Thanks for the update. -Bill > Ross Smith wrote: > While the HTML specs say this is just a comment, Microsoft have > obviously added some more non-standard functionality into IE to work > around the security problems. It's a bit of a bodge, but it does > work.
Contributor
hpp3
Message 6 of 19 (157 Views)

11-02-2004 01:01 PM in reply to: Anonymous
Just tried it here on my NT Kip Powerprint workstation. Works just fine... Finally. Thank you for your research, I can get back to work now.
*Jason Bull
Message 7 of 19 (157 Views)

12-02-2004 04:40 PM in reply to: Anonymous
Aceralice and Ross, First of all, the AEV4.0 ActiveX security warnings on NT. This is a problem with your IE Security settings; start IE, go Tools->Internet Options and select the Security Tab. Under this tab, you can select Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. I am presuming that you are accessing DWFs from your Local Intranet, so click that icon and then click the Custom Level... button. You will see a dialog allowing you to select various levels of security for ActiveX, Cookies, Scripts and so on. The penultimate ActiveX option is most likely the one that is causing you problems; Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins. To remove the warnings, that needs to be set this to Enable. The reason that you are seeing this problem is that, as you may have now guessed, the AEV 4.0 is indeed an ActiveX control (which is why it can run embedded in IE in the first place). Secondly, the comment shown below being added to HTML file headers. This is only a fix for the security warnings that appear when running the Viewer, or for that matter *any* ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file, on a WindowsXP system with the new XP Service Pack 2 installed; it has no efect on other Windows versions. Ross, if you have downloaded the ADV 5.0 release from the Autodesk website, you will no longer get those SP2 warnings when running the Viewer itself or if you drag and drop a DWF directly into IE, since we have added this comment to our HTML files. Unfortunately, if you have your own, home-cooked HTML hosting the ADV 5.0, you will still get these warnings, and you will need to manually add this comment to your HTML, and unfortunately there is nothing that Autodesk can do about that. This is a Microsoft thing and, as I mentioned, you will see the same warnings with any ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file running on WinXP SP2, not just the Viewer. Believe me, we heartily wish it were otherwise as the release of XP SP2 has caused us some serious headaches and a good deal of unexpected work. I hope that this helps. Jason Bull Senior QA Autodesk Viewers Group "Ross Smith" wrote in message news:417fa7a6$1_1@newsprd01... Hi, I'm not sure if this will work with NT, but it's worth a try since I think it's an Internet Explorer issue rather than being specific to NT. In the DWF viewer folder, edit all the .htm files you can find and replace the top line with "". Then add www.autodesk.com to your trusted sites within Internet Explorer. See my post dated 26/10 for some explanation of this and my rant at Autodesk - I'm not impressed that I've had to fix this myself when so many other people are experiencing the same problem I'd be very interested to hear whether this fixes your particular problem, can you please reply to this post with your results. thanks, Ross Smith Network Manager Robinson Construction "Aceralice" wrote in message news:230_f197d27.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb... I am using IE 5.5 and have just installed AEV 4.0 on a NT4 PC. I am getting security messages re ActiveX controls and don't know which setting to adjust to get AEV to work. AEV 3.1 didn't give me these messages, so I am confused. Any advice for me ? Thanks.
*Scott Sheppard
Message 8 of 19 (157 Views)

12-03-2004 10:01 AM in reply to: Anonymous
Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought the original post was something like "Why doesn't Autodesk put a line in its own HTML files that says trust ActiveX Controls from Autodesk instead of a line that says trust generic ActiveX Controls?" So I think he was referring to HTML files on the Autodesk site - not his own HTML files. Maybe I am not recalling the original post correctly? "Jason Bull" wrote in message news:41afb61d_3@newsprd01... Aceralice and Ross, First of all, the AEV4.0 ActiveX security warnings on NT. This is a problem with your IE Security settings; start IE, go Tools->Internet Options and select the Security Tab. Under this tab, you can select Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. I am presuming that you are accessing DWFs from your Local Intranet, so click that icon and then click the Custom Level... button. You will see a dialog allowing you to select various levels of security for ActiveX, Cookies, Scripts and so on. The penultimate ActiveX option is most likely the one that is causing you problems; Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins. To remove the warnings, that needs to be set this to Enable. The reason that you are seeing this problem is that, as you may have now guessed, the AEV 4.0 is indeed an ActiveX control (which is why it can run embedded in IE in the first place). Secondly, the comment shown below being added to HTML file headers. This is only a fix for the security warnings that appear when running the Viewer, or for that matter *any* ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file, on a WindowsXP system with the new XP Service Pack 2 installed; it has no efect on other Windows versions. Ross, if you have downloaded the ADV 5.0 release from the Autodesk website, you will no longer get those SP2 warnings when running the Viewer itself or if you drag and drop a DWF directly into IE, since we have added this comment to our HTML files. Unfortunately, if you have your own, home-cooked HTML hosting the ADV 5.0, you will still get these warnings, and you will need to manually add this comment to your HTML, and unfortunately there is nothing that Autodesk can do about that. This is a Microsoft thing and, as I mentioned, you will see the same warnings with any ActiveX control embedded in an HTML file running on WinXP SP2, not just the Viewer. Believe me, we heartily wish it were otherwise as the release of XP SP2 has caused us some serious headaches and a good deal of unexpected work. I hope that this helps.
Valued Contributor
psmith
Message 9 of 19 (157 Views)

12-03-2004 10:20 AM in reply to: Anonymous
Can either of you tell me why I am getting the "iexplore.exe has encountered a problem" then crashes here - http://www.washington.edu/admin/ada/acc.htm ?

Thanks in advance.
*Scott Sheppard
Message 10 of 19 (157 Views)

12-03-2004 10:26 AM in reply to: Anonymous
Sorry but it worked for me on Windows XP SP2. "psmith" wrote in message news:29252475.1102098036729.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Can either of you tell me why I am getting the "iexplore.exe has > encountered a problem" then crashes here - > http://www.washington.edu/admin/ada/acc.htm ? > > Thanks in advance.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.