Did you mean: 

Unnecessary annotative scales

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1858 Views, 7 Replies

Unnecessary annotative scales

I have on several occasions been given drawings which contain too many text annotative scales. This really makes it difficult in relocating text easily since all the text scales become visible when the text is selected. Short of going into the properties of each piece of text and removing all unnecessary annotative scale, is there a better way?

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to globally remove all annotative scales except the ones I choose to keep.

Thanks,

Nick

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Which version of AutoCAD?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I'm using 2013.

Message 4 of 8
hmsilva

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to globally remove all annotative scales except the ones I choose to keep.

One way, not globally...

qselect all text annotative -> properties -> text, annotative scale -> open the Annotation Object Scale and delete all annotative scales except the ones you choose to keep...

Henrique

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
dgorsman

First order of business, I think, is to make sure the ANNOAUTOSCALE variable is set so new annotative objects only contains the active scale and any scales you explicitly assign to them.  Might want to punt that idea upstream to whoever is providing those drawings, since its easier to handle upstream than down (see second and third points below).

Second, is automatically controlling extra scales being added (_1, _XREF, and so on).  There's a few LISP tools out there to do that, it can be tricky since you can't (safely) remove annotation scales which are in use.  Probably want to punt that one up as well.

Third, is the more annoying problem.  You have objects which have a boatload of annotation scales assigned to them, presumably you only want a few.  Removing those automatically is tricky since different objects can have varying lists assigned to them *plus* there is some automation expected when a scale is removed from an object.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
pendean
Message 7 of 8
GrantsPirate

At least change the SELECTIONANNODISPLAY variable so you don't see all those different texts.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: GrantsPirate

This is the immediate "Band-Aid" fix for this issue.

I agree that handling the issues of too many scales upstream is the best place. Ultimately all the drawings with these issues include CAD data that has been reused many times over. While this heritage CAD data is slowly being weeded out, on the occasion it's still looked to.

The scale clean-up utility looks like a valuable tool. I wasn't able to successfully run it the first time, nor have I had adequate time to dedicate to it. This will be reviewed once things slow down again. This seemingly is the solution to this problem.

Thank you all for the advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost