Did you mean: 

Nested Xref

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
carlosmarinv
1390 Views, 7 Replies

Nested Xref

Hi everyone. I hope you can help me.
I have an "a" file, where I usually draw. Then I make a "b" file where reference with -xref- the file "a" and modify colors and turn off layers.
Then I make a "c" file where I need to reference the "a" with its colors and all its properties, and also the "b" with the changes that I made.
But happens that when I reference the "a", it layers are created; and when reference the "b" file, it reference takes the properties of the first that I inserted.
Don't if you understood me. But I'll wait your help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
whitney_jeff
in reply to: carlosmarinv

Check the system variable "visretain" - it should be set to 1 in order to keep the layer settings in the xrefs
Message 3 of 8
carlosmarinv
in reply to: whitney_jeff

Thanks for answer Jeff.

But the system variable "visretain" is really seated to 1.

I don't know if you understood me.

I'm asking if exists any way to keep the changes in the file "b" that is referenced to file "a"  at the time to reference in the "c" file.

I mean, "a" is a xref in "b" where I made changes to the xref; and I need reference "a" and "b" in "c", keeping the changes of "b". 

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 8
pendean

No: all or nothing are your choices in AutoCAD: you either see all changed in all Xrefs or none at all.
VISRETAIN controls this limited function in the top file.
Message 5 of 8
whitney_jeff

still not sure what you mean - have you tried renaming the xref "b" to something like "xb" when it is xrefed into "a"

I think you are saying you then xref "a" and "b" into "c"?

Can you post a screen shot of the xref manager showing the tree of your xrefs?

Message 6 of 8
carlosmarinv
in reply to: whitney_jeff

Yes I'm saying reference "a" and "b" into "c"

Look the tree

Message 7 of 8
jggerth1

the answer to your question is "no".

That's not a feature of the software; each drawing has its own layer table, and regardless of nesting level, each xref layer will show up as "XFREFNAME|LAYERNAME"

Message 8 of 8
whitney_jeff
in reply to: jggerth1

Ahh - but in B you can rename c to XC, and in A you can rename B  to XB, then xref B again with the original name.

We have a client that has the demolition drawing and existing conditions in one file, which is then xrefed into their new conditions file

If we need to get the demo and new on the same drawing and don't want to go thru the process of freezing layers in the viewport we can xref the exising conditions file and then rename it, then xref the new conditions file along with it's nested existing conditions xref.

Although I am not sure that will solve this particular issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost