Drafting Techniques

Drafting Techniques

Distinguished Contributor
Padave
Message 1 of 11 (625 Views)

Learn something new everyday

625 Views, 10 Replies
08-23-2011 04:29 AM

i've been on the discussion group for many years, and i learned alot of commands i never heard of, so i thought, how about a Topic or something, where you post a command or something that you learned from the forums, so everyone else could see , and maybe learn something else new as well?

i'll start, today i learned GRIPOBJLIMIT , did not know  such a thing, but makes sense, it sets the limit of Grips one can select

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 2 of 11 (615 Views)

Re: Learn something new everyday

08-23-2011 09:08 AM in reply to: Padave

How about Peditaccept = 0, or mirrhatch...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 3 of 11 (541 Views)

08-30-2011 11:54 AM in reply to: Padave

Grips used to be the best thing about AutoCad. Then, in Release 2004 they were gelded, reducing my productivity immensely. What I'd like to learn is a command that would let me set grips back to what they used to be when they were useful.

Anybody know that command?

Jaela

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 4 of 11 (531 Views)

08-31-2011 03:41 AM in reply to: JaelaDawn

What do you mean by useful?

GRIPMULTIFUNCTION perhaps?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 5 of 11 (521 Views)

08-31-2011 02:50 PM in reply to: JaelaDawn

I am curious to hear what they used to do that they don't do now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 6 of 11 (505 Views)

09-01-2011 09:06 AM in reply to: GrantsPirate

I dunno, I find the grips you can add to dynamic blocks plenty useful...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 7 of 11 (429 Views)

09-12-2011 05:36 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, so I'm only just getting to this answer. But here goes:

Grips USED to be handy as base points for manipulating other grips. You could click on two (or more) objects, then hold Shift and click on one of them again. The grips did not disappear! They just went "cold". They became open boxes. Then you could use them to maneuver the other object(s).

I could do the Space Bar bit for Move/Rotate/Scale/Mirror and use one object's grips to manipulate the other object(s). Or I could hold Shift and turn more than one object's grips "cold" but leave others "hot". The options for utilizing this were remarkable! I used grips endlessly. I could use one polyline's vertices to move specific verticies of another. I could -- sigh, I'm getting teary remembering the functionality grips used to have.

If you never worked with the pre-2004 grips, you seriously missed a productivity tool. I would really love to see AutoDesk give me the option to return grips to the way they were when they worked. Sigh. I might even upgrade to a new Release if they did ...

Jaela

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 8 of 11 (419 Views)

09-13-2011 07:37 AM in reply to: JaelaDawn

I do remember when the ability to make a grip go cold was removed, there was a lot of complaining at the time.  But we moved on.  The multifunctional grips that have been added for arcs, plines, ellipses, etc. do add a lot of function that was lacking in the old grips.  We get some and we lose some features.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Active Contributor
JaelaDawn
Message 9 of 11 (407 Views)

09-13-2011 03:09 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

When we lose features, though, it would be nice if we could have the option to get them back. I'd happily trade what grips do now for what they did when they worked.

Happily!

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 10 of 11 (391 Views)

09-14-2011 07:40 AM in reply to: JaelaDawn

Have you tried selecting several objects and then making one grip hot and then right clicking for the options available there?

If I do this to several objects I can rotate them all about the grip that is hot as an example.

And if I understand your Shift selection question with PICKADD set to 1 or 2 Shift will remove an object when it is clicked on again.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.