Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use Latex as text in Annotate?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
steve123456789
4774 Views, 8 Replies

how to use Latex as text in Annotate?

I am student and learning autocad 2014. When I make an annotate, say over a line, using the Annotate menu, it will put the length of the line as the value over the arrow it draws. I found I can change to a text using the property window and typing some text in the "Text override" Field. My question is: How can I add Latex as annotation? suppose I want to enter \alpha as the value of the annotation? does autocad support entering Latex as annotation and other labels I want to use in the drawing? Thank you Steve
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dmfrazier
in reply to: steve123456789

Assuming you are referring to a font (or set of symbols), I would think that first of all you'd have to have the font installed (in Windows).  Once the font is installed, just create a text style using that font, and then apply that style to your annotation.

Message 3 of 9

@Anonymous wrote:
.... How can I add Latex as annotation? suppose I want to enter \alpha as the value of the annotation? does autocad support entering Latex as annotation and other labels I want to use in the drawing? ....

I didn't know what LaTeX [that seems to be the uppercase-lowercase combination they use] is, either, but I found something about it here.  It's not anything like a font, but rather a programming language, so I doubt very much you can use it in AutoCAD; it would need to be embedded in the program similarly to the way AutoLISP is.  [If it's incorporated into later versions than mine, someone out there will know about it, but you can find out easily enough with a Search for references to it in Help.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 9

Sorry that I thought everyone knew what Latex is, after all, it is the most common typesetting method used in all Mathematics and science books for the last 30 years 🙂 But no problem if Autocad does not support it. It basically allows one to type text that will show up as mathematics notations on the drawing after the drawing is rendered. For example, suppose one want to type some text, using Mathematical notation, as those you see in the standard math books. Currently, this is not possible in Autocad. What if I want to type the integral sign for example? What if I want to type a differential equation into my drawing, etc... For example, Matlab accepts Latex syntax as annotation. And I was hoping Autocad will do the same. Here is a link. This is just for illustration, that is all, just so the idea of using Latex for annotation is more clear http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/creating_plots/adding-text-to-graphs.html thanks
Message 5 of 9
dgorsman

There are a variety of symbol fonts available.  But there is one important point: AutoCAD isn't a word processor any more than MS Word is a drafting tool.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 9
steve123456789
in reply to: dgorsman

Ok. But this means autocad can't be used (at least easily) to make a diagram relating to Mathematics and Science where one might want to add text to it relating to Mathematics, where Math notation needs to be used. Latex is free, and been around for 30 years. Engineering texts is full of mathematics and equations. I thought I can make an engineering drawing using Autocad, and add text to it using the same annotation I see in my textbook and have it show up as normal mathematics. I do not understand how, what is supposed to be the most powerfull engineering drawing tool in the world does not support adding scientific and mathematical annotation and text to a drawing using the most common typesetting language for this purpose. But I accept that Autocad does not support Latex. Life goes on. Thanks everyone for the help.
Message 7 of 9
dgorsman

AutoCAD isn't used in such a manner, especially when there are so many dedicated software packages designed (and certified) for that kind of analysis.  AutoCAD is very extensible though.  There very well could be a means to create a plug-in.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 9
jggerth1

FWIW -- autodesk supplies a Mathematics symbol fiont in SHX format that you can use.  Heck, there's even an shx file you can use for atrology if that's what you want.

seach your machines for sy*.shx, and rock on.

No, it's not LaTex, but it's what there is,

Along with almost every TTF font out there in the wwworld.

Message 9 of 9
SanjoyNath

Thanks to Autodesk,Thanks to Autocad .

Autocad has given so flexible geometric framework that i feel obliged with this fact that somehow shx fonts are so powerful.It is similar wish to support Latex Export from the Autocad system to make many more things. Every well known Journal in world asks documentations in .tex formats (only) which becomes very tedious to prepare if some automated export facility is not there.

In Sanjoy Nath's Geometrifying Trigonometry(C) we have prepared Thousands of CAD files and exported these as pdf files and also jpeg files in three hours through the use of Auto Lisp on Autocad platform. Thanks to @dbhunia  for his amazing Lisp codes on LOCKED_SET of Geometrifying Trigonometry(C) NARRAYS , Thanks to @CodeDing  to make such good effort on LINE_SEGMENT_ALGEBRA LOCK_FREE_SET implementation on CAD through AUTOLISP

It is wish for direct export option for LATEX (.tex) format.Every scientific journal asks for .tex files while submitting papers or articles.It is taking more than months to compile a 3 hours(Too much powerful Autocad +AUTOLISP)work into LATEX

Sanjoy Nath
BIM Manager And Digital Lead (Structures Online)
BOOST, AR , VR ,EPM,IFC API,PDF API , CAD API ,Revit API , Advance Steel API
Founder of Geometrifying Trigonometry(C)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost