Drafting Techniques

Contributor
ronaldseto
Message 1 of 10 (10,046 Views)
Accepted Solution

Drawing a line tangent to two circles

10046 Views, 9 Replies
02-11-2013 01:14 PM

If I have two circles of unequal diameters and I want to draw a line tangent to them. How is this done?

Please find the correct anser in the question of 'How to draw a line tangent to two circles?'

in the following link:

https://sites.google.com/site/cadkits/autocad-faq

I just tried it again. I realized that I have to pick only the tangent snap to use with the line command. All other snaps have to be disabled.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 2 of 10 (10,040 Views)

Re: Drawing a line tangent to two circles

02-11-2013 01:36 PM in reply to: ronaldseto

Line command, using the TAN osnap, pick one circle to start, and the second circle to end the the line. 

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 3 of 10 (10,026 Views)

02-11-2013 05:58 PM in reply to: ronaldseto

Please find the correct anser in the question of 'How to draw a line tangent to two circles?'

in the following link:

https://sites.google.com/site/cadkits/autocad-faq

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 4 of 10 (10,016 Views)

02-12-2013 05:26 AM in reply to: 3wood

That's an .... "interesting" way to do the task, but its' also a lot more steps that using the tools built into the software to do it simply, with one command, one osnap, and two picks.

Contributor
ronaldseto
Message 5 of 10 (9,997 Views)

02-12-2013 11:52 AM in reply to: 3wood

Mr 3wood, Your solution worked, although a bit lengthy. I thought there may have been a shorter way to do it Others said to use the line command with osnap tangent; click on one circle for start and on the second circle for finish. I tried this, but it doesn't work.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 10 (9,992 Views)

02-12-2013 12:20 PM in reply to: ronaldseto

Type out the steps you are doing.

LINE <enter>

TAN <enter>

Pick the first point

TAN <enter>

Pick the second point

<enter>

Works like a charm here.

To comment on the OP's answer below:

There is no need to turn off running OSNAPS to acheive this. Just use the Snap: TAN while in the Line Command and a line to tangent will work as needed.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Contributor
ronaldseto
Message 7 of 10 (9,991 Views)

02-12-2013 12:21 PM in reply to: ronaldseto

I just tried it again. I realized that I have to pick only the tangent snap to use with the line command. All other snaps have to be disabled.

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 8 of 10 (9,975 Views)

02-12-2013 03:38 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Not sure this method works in early AutoCAD versions? It works great in AutoCAD 2012 though.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 9 of 10 (9,962 Views)

02-13-2013 05:38 AM in reply to: ronaldseto

It's worked in versions af Acad as far back as I can recall.  Oddly though, using the PLINE command rather than the LINE command does not. work the same way, and will only be tangent to one of the circles.

dunno if it's fair to call that a bug, poor software design, or what, but it does not work as one would expect it to.

Active Contributor
BlueVue
Message 10 of 10 (9,698 Views)

04-12-2013 02:17 PM in reply to: ronaldseto

ronaldseto wrote:

You can force a temporary over-ride of your current object-snap settings by typing in "TAN<enter>" when prompted for any coordinate input. Doing so will, for that input only, disable all other object-snaps, and only look for Tangents. Much faster than manually going into the object snaps dialog every time.

This also works for other object-snaps:

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_4/4-2.htm

...and my favorite, M2P!

Typing "M2P<enter>" at a coordinate input prompt will prompt you to pick *TWO* points, and uses the midpoint between them as the single input.

And yes, you can stack snaps inside M2P. For example, you could pick a point that is Midway between 2 Points, one being the virtual INTersection of two non-touching lines, the other being a point that is the CENter of an arc.

...Or you can use it to find the midpoint of the midpoint between two points!!! (AKA the 1/4-point)

================================
Vanilla AutoCAD 2010
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.