Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draw Polyline without mouse button? (odd question I know...)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Postmaster_G
809 Views, 8 Replies

Draw Polyline without mouse button? (odd question I know...)

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a way that I can draw out a polyline by pressing a keyboard key instead of the mouse button no. 1.

I am tracing in some old contour maps and I would like to be able to enter each point without using the mouse button.  That way I can focus my one hand on the mouse position and the other hand can enter the points.  It will be faster for me.

Thank you

-Meow
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Postmaster_G
in reply to: Postmaster_G

Well I don't know if anyone has a solution to this, but I have come up with a solution that was very simple and easy.

And it works.

I use the logitech M5 (which seems to be a pretty good mouse).

I took the junky dell mouse that came with my pc out of my desk, put a sticky note over the sensor eye, and just click with that one while I trace with the other.

Much faster!

If anyone has another idea please share 🙂

-Meow
Message 3 of 9
3wood

Command SKETCH is even faster.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Tracing over an Image? Try buying Raster Design to add to AutoCAD, or buy a "raster to vector" software package instead.

Otherwise, how about COPY command 🙂
Message 5 of 9
Postmaster_G

So the files I am working with are PDF usgs maps.

For this reason, I don't see how copy would work (I wish I could copy!).

As for the SKETCH command, my hand is just not that steady!

I have raster design available to me but I have not tried it out nor have I read about how it could help me out.

Any thoughts about that would be good.  I suppose I will need to make my way over to that forum before too long.

Thank You!

-Meow
Message 6 of 9
pendean

The COPY command was aimed at the possibility you are not dealing with image files, since you did not share info in your first post. No worries now since you explained part of your need now.

So what is it you are tracing over (and why)? I ask since I'm not familiar with the reason to do that, why not just clip out what you need to use it.

There is no no-mouse drafting option in AutoCAD, so perhaps you need to just print your PDF, purchase a tablet with a pen and trace over it on your table?

Raster Design: you have it so use it, if you get stuck there is a dedicated forum for users of the product and they can guide you. I'll assume you can find that forum, if not post back.
Message 7 of 9
Postmaster_G
in reply to: pendean

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it was an image 🙂

The reason I am tracing the contours is for use in Civil 3D.  I am working on a preliminary site development exercise.  The properties are in remote locations and I cannot get a survey at this point in the project.

I will be giving raster design a try soon, thank you for the suggestion!

-Meow
Message 8 of 9
pendean

You might also post in the Civil3D forum and ask your peers how they do what you want to do: I suspect many do it all the time as well and may have relevant tips you could use.
Message 9 of 9
tbennett

I think you need to post in the customizing area.  It seems to me, about a million years ago when I was in college, we customized our menus similarly.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost