Dimensioning Question

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
440 Views, 4 Replies

Dimensioning Question

Hi,

I'm very new to AutoCAD and I was hoping for a little advice.  I was wondering if there is a way to automatically set the spacing between your dimensions.  For instance I'd like my first dimension to be Xin from the object and the next dimension to be Yin from the last dimension.  I use DIMSPACE for this now, but I was wondering if there was a way for the dimensions to automatically go to these X and Y locations when I create them as opposed to adjusting them after I've created all of them. 

Any other dimensioning tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 😄

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't know about your X.
But as for Y, that is called Baseline spacing. It can be set in the 'Lines' tab of the Dim Style Editor.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

Yes! I believe with a little research into DIMBASELINE I will be able to get what I'm looking for. Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
steve216586

I use tracking to help with my spacing and it is foolproof once you get the hang of it.

Step by step:

1. Start with OTRACK and OSNAP enabled.

2. Select first Extension line origin.

3. Select second Extension line origin.

4. "Roll" over edge of object until you get Tracking started.

5. Type in command line the distance you want away from object - "X" inches.

6. For subsequent dimensions repeat steps 1 thru 5 and substitute the first dimension's terminator for the edge of the object.

All dimensions should be the same distance from your object no matter where they are located and all dimensions will be spaced the same from successive dimension lines.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Set your grid spacing to 3/8 inch.  The first dimension standard distance from object is 3/8" and 1/4" there after.  It doesn't need to be exact but with repetition and using the grid as a guide you can can dimension real fast!  And it looks awesome too! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost