Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshairs not following ucs.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
celeste56
9487 Views, 9 Replies

Crosshairs not following ucs.

I used the command ucs follows, and my ucs changed.  The problem is my crosshairs didn't change.  Is there a setting?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: celeste56

@celeste56 wrote:

I used the command ucs follows, and my ucs changed.  The problem is my crosshairs didn't change.  Is there a setting?

If I understand correctly, it's not that the crosshairs are not following the UCS, but rather that, effectively, the UCS is following the crosshairs.  When UCSFOLLOW is set to 1 [on], it goes into plan view every time the Coordinate System is changed.  Plan view means the crosshairs will be orthogonal on the screen, so they won't look any different, but the "world" of the drawing will arrange itself accordingly around them.  If by the crosshairs changing you mean that you want them to [for example] appear at a different angle if you rotate the Coordinate System, you would need to set UCSFOLLOW to 0 [off].

If I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, there are some other possibilities.  UCSFOLLOW is viewport-specific, so if it is set to 1 in one viewport, and you get into another one, it may not be set to 1 there.  I imagine it's also possible that the SNAPANG System Variable could affect what you're seeing.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 10
celeste56
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you.  It was the snapang which fixed the problem.  Very much appreciated.  I really don't know why anyone uses this commond.  It is so identifiable to use UCS names for different coordinates set up.

Message 4 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@celeste56 wrote:

Thank you.  It was the snapang which fixed the problem.  Very much appreciated.  I really don't know why anyone uses this commond.  It is so identifiable to use UCS names for different coordinates set up.

You're welcome.  SNAPANG definitely has its uses, but it is important to set it back [not that it's any less important to set the Coordinate System back if you change it, most of the time].  If you don't need to change the extrusion direction, or the 0,0,0 origin point, or save such settings so you can restore them, or something else that requires using UCS, adjusting SNAPANG is a much less intensive way to get the crosshairs and Ortho to follow a non-orthogonal direction, such as to give Text a rotation angle that aligns with an angled Line or something.  I have a little menu item and command to align Snap with any selected straight object, just for that kind of purpose, and I do use it often enough to like having it around.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 10
governorbob
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks Kent. snapang was the issue for me as well. I opened a pre-existing drawing with a snapang of .1101. Quite confusing! I was aware of MicroStation's active angle, but forgot CAD's snapang variable. Thanks!
~ Frequent user of Autocad 2019, Autocad 2012 LT, Revit
Message 6 of 10
tlsirmons

Yes, SNAPANG was my problem too.

Message 7 of 10
scott.engdahl

UCS = 0, SNAPANG =0, CURSOR STILL MISALIGNED...?

Message 8 of 10

excuse me...UCS set to WORLD.

Message 9 of 10
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: scott.engdahl

@scott.engdahl 

I replied to your other post.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
scott.engdahl
in reply to: Ed.Jobe

Yeah, saw that already in the forum...
This is not that. My UCSFOLLOW is set to "0" aslo...
Got this file from a Civil Engineer...need I say more...lol.

PS...I used to be a CAD manager (back when that was a thing...pre-Revit), and I've been using ACAD since version 2, lol...when I was a Highschooler. Just to say I'm not an amateur...although I would NEVER assume I know it all! LOL. I'm well versed in UCS - UCSFOLLOW - SNAPANG - Drawing in ortho mode, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost