Drafting Techniques

Drafting Techniques

jfelder
Message 1 of 9 (4,706 Views)

Converting TEXT to PLINE - TXTEXP problems

4706 Views, 8 Replies
05-14-2011 07:22 PM

Hi all,

I have a large amount of text on a 2D design I am working on. It was created using the TEXT command and I would like to convert all of it to PLINE's. I am trying to use the TXTEXP command that is part of the "express tools", but after selecting and converting all the text using the comman, it get a message saying:

"text object(s) have been exploded to lines.The line objects have been placed on layer 0."

However, layer 0 is empty and the text (though it should be PLINES now) is nowhere to be found. I have seen some lisp routines written on other forums suggesting the modification of TXTEXP.lisp to prompt the user for the layer on which to place the newly converted text. However, none seemed to have been successful, and I have zero experience with lisp coding.

Does anyone know why it all dissappears and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 9 (4,690 Views)

Re: Converting TEXT to PLINE - TXTEXP problems

05-16-2011 07:09 AM in reply to: jfelder

Works fine here: what font, and what STYLE settings are being used?

Your AutoCAD version?

Can you post a DWG file too?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
PatilAbhijitS
Message 3 of 9 (4,396 Views)

12-08-2011 06:52 AM in reply to: jfelder

Sometime the txtexp resizes the txt and sets in different position. Check for the other location of the dwg file. It might show in Very small form.

This is machine dependent problem and not the font problem. May be there is some settings issues..

Best Luck...

grandhougday
Message 4 of 9 (4,298 Views)

01-26-2012 02:45 AM in reply to: jfelder

I really don't know why Autodesk do not answer unsolved questions. does anybody there visit these posts? :smileymad:

By the way this WAS my problem too and takes many times from me to be solved.

I had about 4500 dwg files with shx font. They should be exploded all to be just lines. Text should explode too.

One of txtexp problems is moving and scaling text and misplaces them to new position.

my friends solve it for me (Thanks him :smileysurprised:). Set insunits  system variable to 0. Just do (setvar " insunits" 0)

that’s all.

I explain all of my work in GIS.jigsy.com .visiting it may help more

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 9 (4,293 Views)

01-26-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: grandhougday

Sounds like you found the solution was a Variable issue that was spoke of in this thread.

As the OP never responded to the not 8 month old post it would need to be assumed that they solved their issue.

This is an active and vibrant peer community. Autodesk supports these Forums in that they allow them to exist and interact with these on a limited basis. There are few who frequent here that do not find the answer or are given a solution to the issue they have. Many of the "contributors" have been doing so for years if not over a decade. I would ask that you point me to an MS, or Norton, or, Adobe, or what ever Forum that has as much contribution.

Glad your friend could help.

Did you ever ask here? Or did you just need to rant this day?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
grandhougday
Message 6 of 9 (4,268 Views)

01-28-2012 04:05 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

I don't want to prolong this post with text that has not related to subject but my idea is :"does the right thing is what every body do?". If all other large company do not contribute with their forumes is it a good reason that this is the right way?

I don’t think so. If you can't be perfect at least think perfect.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 7 of 9 (4,252 Views)

01-30-2012 08:45 AM in reply to: grandhougday

?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Distinguished Contributor
Kazo
Message 8 of 9 (4,120 Views)

04-12-2012 08:59 PM in reply to: jfelder

:smileyvery-happy: ha ha ha ha ha

svplaser
Message 9 of 9 (2,465 Views)

07-31-2013 02:23 AM in reply to: jfelder

You can try the FONTCAM app in the app store. 

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3afontcamtri...

It can explode text into splines or polylines or polyarcs ( polylines with arcs).

It does a lot more other cool stuff with texts.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.