Drafting Techniques

Drafting Techniques

Distinguished Contributor
ssx_Autodesk
Message 1 of 12 (275 Views)

Color Tables - what's your pref?

275 Views, 11 Replies
02-28-2012 08:21 AM

Hey all, just wanted to see if i can get some feedback as to how you guys have your ctb's configured regarding line weights.  I've heard theories from "the high visibility colors are used for most-common entities" to "color 1 is thinnest, 9 is heaviest" to "ctb's?"

i'd love to hear what theories some of the larger firms are using.

(in my hobby hours, i've been playing with the notion of coding various systems to a color and then using the light-dark gradient to indicate thickness.  the colors ending with a "0" would be the base-line and have a "section-cut" thickness.  colors ending with a "2" would be a typical "foreground" thickness and so on as the entities fade to the distance.  not sure it will work out, but hey tryin' sum'in diffrint :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 12 (266 Views)

Re: Color Tables - what's your pref?

02-28-2012 10:42 AM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

We've got multiple disciplines contributing models to an overall product, and they all want their own colors.  There aren't enough "named" colors (GREEN, YELLOW, RED, etc.) to go around, so  I've set up the "numbered" colors (10 - 249) to plot the same weight as object lines in drawings.  The "named" colors are used for annotations like dimensions and leaders, plus generic thin, medium, and thick lines.  The "grey-scales" at the end of the list plot a mix of half-tones and line weights.

If one discipline wants anothers (say, electrical drawing referencing a piping model) as thin or half-tone to fade out, they only need to override the XREF layers with the generic thin line or one of the greys.

One of these years, I may finally persuade the others to stop using polyline thickness for P&IDs.  Maybe.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

ssx_Autodesk
Message 3 of 12 (267 Views)

02-28-2012 10:54 AM in reply to: dgorsman

when you say "object lines", (in addition to your comment about stopping using pline thickness) i assume that your guys set the lineweights per line and NOT by color?  if so, my condolences :smileyhappy:

i was curious how you aligned the "named colors" with the line thicknesses. - like Red is thinnest (or thickest) and then Yellow is the next (thinnest/thickest).  just wondering if there was an order to increasing/decreasing weights that corresponded to the color numbers.

currently ours are all over the place.  :smileysad:

Message 4 of 12 (256 Views)

02-28-2012 03:20 PM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

Actually I was using drafting parlance; "object line" (medium-heavy) vs. "dimension line" (thin) vs. "center line" (medium-thin) etc.  All of our in-house stuff is BYLAYER - even when the client CTB is set for lineweight by object, the object is set BYLAYER, and the layer has a lineweight set.

Our named color lineweights are pick-and-choose, mostly through inheriting what the company did previously.  Trying to migrate color settings was bad enough (objects and text both green, for example.  Oy... :catfrustrated:  )  About the only consistent thing is the maxim "Only use BLUE for uncommon things.", in our case very thick lines.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 5 of 12 (244 Views)

03-01-2012 12:21 PM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

This response is sincere and not meant to start a fight, but moving to STB really makes a lot of sense, you should try it.

You could have styles named Object, Dim, etc if you wanted, no need to memorize your color mapping.  Objects on the drawing could be any color and then you set your lineweights with the plot style names and if you think in terms of systems instead of colors for lineweights it becomes natural pretty quickly and you wonder how you ever used ctb.  With STB you might only need 8 style names to replace the 255 you have now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 12 (239 Views)

03-01-2012 02:37 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

That and the archaic Layer naming I did 15 years ago too.

Nice simple explanation.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
ssx_Autodesk
Message 7 of 12 (237 Views)

03-01-2012 03:25 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

what are the "styles" of style tables based on?  entities?  or are they like styles in Word?

got it.  they're analogous to Word Styles.  seems they would be good for 3D but prob don't add much to 2D 

Message 8 of 12 (234 Views)

03-01-2012 06:03 PM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

They are just as good for 2D as for 3D, not sure how you arrived at that assumption.  I don't think they are anything at all like Word styles.

Names styles are similar to color based styles except in ctb the styles are pen colors and those names can't be changed, in stb the styles are named by you, and the color that is plotted is controlled by the layer or object rather than by the pen color name.

If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 9 of 12 (226 Views)

03-02-2012 08:29 AM in reply to: GrantsPirate

Makes sense, but for one teensey problem: the vast majority of drawings are not our own, and pretty much our entire industry (oil and gas) is still CTB.  We would have to convert all incoming files to STB, and all outgoing files to CTB.  And futz around with certain clients who provide their own CTBs and/or settings.  Many have specific color/plot thickness mappings, one even has the plot thickness (and therefore color) as part of the layer name even though they assign lineweight by the lineweight setting for the layer and have the CTB line weights as "by object setting".

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 10 of 12 (223 Views)

03-02-2012 10:37 AM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

dgorsman - that is a problem for sure and as such I would stay with CTB, but I was responding to the OP and didn't know about your specific needs.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.