Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best/easiest way to copy a sketch to a new plane?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ruge2
1211 Views, 6 Replies

What's the best/easiest way to copy a sketch to a new plane?

I have a sketch of a square. I extrude the sketch so I now have a cube. I then realize I don't want to extrude so much but I must cut off from the side I extruded from. Therefore I want to move the sketch plane over. I make an offset plane from the sketch plane. What is the best/easiest way to move or copy the original sketch onto the new plane? Or is there a completely different way to do this? This must be completely obvious that I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TrippyLighting
in reply to: ruge2

You may need to pull the construction plane to the front of the timeline before the sketch.

Peter Doering
Message 3 of 7
jeff_strater

Hi @ruge2, and welcome to Fusion.

There are many ways to do what you want here.  First, I'd like to ask why you think you need to cut off from the sketch side.  The very easiest solution is to just edit the Extrude, and type in a smaller number.  This produces the cleanest design workflow.  In Fusion, it doesn't really matter where in 3D space the body is located.  You can move bodies or components around as needed.

However, if you do really want to cut off material from the sketch side, there are several ways to do that.  Since you already have an offset workplane, you can split the body with that directly:

Second, because all you really need to do is remove material, you don't need to copy the sketch, all you need is a bigger rectangle.  Here is how you could do that:

Finally, if you really want to copy/paste the sketch, you can do that, although it is a bit harder, actually:

Hope this all makes sense to you,

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 7
ruge2
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I tried to drag the offset plane before the sketch to the front of the timeline but couldn't for some reason.
Message 5 of 7
ruge2
in reply to: jeff_strater

"First, I'd like to ask why you think you need to cut off from the sketch side.  The very easiest solution is to just edit the Extrude, and type in a smaller number."

If you look at my screencast you'll see I have a hole on the other side so in order for that hole to remain I need to cut off the part where I extruded from the sketch.

"split the body"

"bigger rectangle"

I see that but that means that the sketch is offset from the object. If I need to extrude from the sketch again after changes are made, it won't work unless I extrude directly from the model. Maybe that doesn't matter and I should do that and just ignore the fact that the sketch is offset from the object. It looks weird to my simple-minded eyes.

Message 6 of 7
jeff_strater

Hi @ruge2,

"If you look at my screencast you'll see I have a hole on the other side so in order for that hole to remain I need to cut off the part where I extruded from the sketch"

That's the beauty of parametric solid modeling - the hole will go wherever the "other side" of the extrusion is.  If you make it shorter or longer, it will follow.

Here's another screencast, showing this behavior:

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 7
ruge2
in reply to: jeff_strater

Oh, of course, I can't believe I forgot that. But your other techniques also came in handy where I had to use the other method of creating a new sketch and cutting the other side off with a rectangle extrusion anyway so very useful thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report