Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is really possible with T-Splines.....

186 REPLIES 186
SOLVED
Message 1 of 187
PhilProcarioJr
11252 Views, 186 Replies

What is really possible with T-Splines.....

So some coworkers keep talking about how limited T-Splines usefulness is. To be honest it's not limitations of T-Splines or Fusion it's the person using them and their knowledge of the tools. I have even seen post here on the boards downing on T-Splines. 

So anyways a friend challenged me to a bet, he claims I can not get the orc head model from Topogun into Fusion 360 as a CAD model fully editable. The head is made up of over a million polygons. Almost 2 million. Here is what the highres model looks like.

Highres.png

The challenge was two fold:

1st part is to model the head using only Fusion 360 and that's what I am going to post today. 

2nd part is I can use whatever tools I have as long as I end up with a fully editable CAD model.

So anyways here is what I came up with after 3 hours in Fusion Sculpt environment using just T-Splines.

T-Spline Test1 v1 v1.png

T-Spline Test2 v1 v1.png

T-Spline Test3 v1 v1.png

Here is a video showing that the T-Spline mesh is fully editable:

I am not happy with this at all but I think it's a good start. More to come....
Cheers

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

186 REPLIES 186
Message 2 of 187

Awesome.  Very impressive T-Splining!

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 187

@jeff_strater

Thanks Jeff, but you havn't seen anything yet. Smiley Wink

Ok so I wanted to run some tests using just Topogun and Fusion 360. This time I wanted to catch all the details of the folds in the face so I did a sample of the eye area and here is the results.

Again everything is editable. More to come.....

Orc_Test2.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 4 of 187

More progress...

Orc_Test2b.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 5 of 187

Nice work @PhilProcarioJr - I'm going to be lurking on this page. Smiley Happy

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 6 of 187

More work on the T-Spline only model.

Face_Final v1.png

Face Final1.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 7 of 187

Face Final2.jpg

Face Final2b.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 8 of 187

Face Final3.jpg

Face Final3b.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 9 of 187

Ok, I'm going to say the 1st part of the challenge is done, here is my final result for the T-Spline to Solid Model. Total I would say this took about 12 hours to complete.

Face Final4.jpg

Face Final4b.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 10 of 187

And to show that it is an editable solid here is a screen cast.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 11 of 187

A test to try to capture some actual muscle forms with T-Splines, needs work....

LeftArm1.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 12 of 187

I decided to build a Skeleton from scratch, Franks Model was to inaccurate for my needs....here is my progress...

These are all T-Spline based models now solids.

Skeleton 1a.jpg

Skeleton 1b.jpg

Skeleton 1c.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 13 of 187
sgerrey
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@PhilProcarioJr

do you ever sleep? 

What with the skeleton and the rifle stocks and now this! 

@colin.smith

you should get Phil on the payroll! Lol 

Message 14 of 187
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: sgerrey

@sgerrey

Sleep.....What's that? I don't have time to sleep...Smiley Very Happy

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 15 of 187

Wow.  That's all I can say...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 16 of 187

@jeff_strater

Thanks for the kind words Jeff.

I'm just having fun with this project and seeing if I can push Fusion to it's breaking point. Smiley Wink

I hit the 10,000 polygon limit...found a way around that so now I'm pushing the new ways limits to see how far I can take it.

I think it's nice to showcase what a piece of software can do...kind of a tribute to all the people working hard to bring us this software.

My way of saying thanks to the Fusion Dev Team.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 17 of 187

It is certainly  a testamet to what can be done with Fusion, but it is also a testament that it takes the right mindset to boldly go where no man has gone before 😉

You should add this to your signature :

Phil Procario Jr. - Digital Master Craftsman

Peter Doering
Message 18 of 187

Beautiful work Phil. What are you using for reference?
Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 19 of 187

@TrippyLighting

Haha, I don't know about digital master craftsman...I'm just a guy that's passionate about my work, but thanks for the compliment!

"It is certainly  a testament to what cane be done with Fusion, but it is also a testament that it takes the right mindset"

I feel this is a key statement to my work. People need to stop thinking in the traditional "CAD Way" and start developing a new mindset.....

@colin.smith

Thanks for the kind words Colin.

I am using "Anatomy for the Artist" and about 17 other anatomy books that I have in my collection. I used to spend a lot of time drawing skeletons, bones and what not so a week or so ago I came across my old drawings and thought I wonder if I can make CAD models out of these for an accurate reference model....Well here we are and this is what I have to show for about a weeks worth of work...maybe 2-3 hours a day. I am finding the bones in the spine exceptionally challenging...It's very exciting building this CAD model.

I have plans for this model, if you are impressed by this wait until the project is finished......

I really could use those UV texture mapping tools. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

Cheers guys.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 20 of 187

@PhilProcarioJr wrote:

I really could use those UV texture mapping tools. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

Hell, yeah! UV mapping would help in several areas of Fusion 360.

The head that this thread was started with could live with a lot less modeled geometry if a good displacement map could be UV mapped onto a lower detail mesh.

This is used very oftern in rendering, but imagine real micropolygon displacement and the opportunities this would open to 3D print fine model detail withut the need to model it.

Or anothe subject that has been coming up a few times and will likely come up more often as 3D printers gain full color caapbilities is to add the UV's and maped color textures to an exported .obj for full color 3D printing.

UV mapping is not just helpful for pretty pictures!

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report