Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting Sketch Segments

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jorsborn
330 Views, 5 Replies

Selecting Sketch Segments

I have a dxf file that I have imported for engraving. I want to project the dxf to a flat face. When I try to do so, I have to select the individual segments. I can't do a window select. There are hundreds of sketch segments that make up the imported dxf. How can I perform a window select? I've tried changing the select option from the drop down.

This is not specific to the dxf import. I've also noticed it under cam when I am trying to do an engrave operation on some text which has been embossed.

Am I missing something obvious? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: jorsborn

Edit the sketch with the DXF, window select all the elements right click and copy, then close the sketch. Now start a new sketch or edit an existing one and right click and paste.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jorsborn
in reply to: HughesTooling

I am unable to window select. There is also no edit option for the sketches under the imported DXF, even after breaking the link.

The DXF makes entities are making things incredibly slow adding to the frustration. 

Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling

If you right click on Layer_1 to the right of the light bulb you should get a menu with Edit Sketch.

Capture.PNG

When you have the sketch open for editing window select right click away from the selection and copy.

Capture1.PNG

Then exit the sketch, start a new sketch right click and paste.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
jorsborn
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hmmm... I am just missing that. Maybe it is the way I am importing? I have uploaded the DXF, then I drag it over into the workspace. Is there another way I shoudl be going about this?

Message 6 of 6
jeff_strater

yes, I think this is your problem:  When you drag the imported design into the current design, you are actually inserting your imported DXF into the active design.  This creates an "external reference" to the imported design.  This type of reference creates "read-only" geometry.

So, one possibility:  If you just open (double click) your imported design, you can edit it.  So, if the DXF is the start of your design, you can just edit that directly.

If your DXF is just an additional part of your design, and you do want to insert it into another design, then edit it in the parent design, just select the referenced component in the browser, right click, and choose "Break Link", this will copy the geometry into the active design, where it can be edited.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report