Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Icons broken after Jan 23 update

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mikebJL63Z
477 Views, 12 Replies

Program Icons broken after Jan 23 update

After the Jan 23 update, the Icon for the program is now broken for the shortcut in the program group.  The shortcut points to this program.

C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\6a0c9611291d45bb9226980209917c3d\FusionLauncher.exe

If I try to change the icon to fix it, I get the attached error.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Phil.E
in reply to: mikebJL63Z

Which icon is this? Can you show a screenshot of which icon you are talking about?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
mikebJL63Z
in reply to: Phil.E

Sure.  Attached.  Taskbar and Quick Start.

It is annoying because  you can't actuall see what program is running in the windows taskbar. 

Message 4 of 13
Phil.E

Those are the old icons, for the previous installation on your machine. Each update should replace the target folder, so the link points to a dead folder.

Have you tried deleting them and replacing them?

This shouldn't be happening, so we are glad you reported it. Has anyone else seen this? It would be helpful to know how wide spread it is.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
mikebJL63Z

Ok, it's an easy fix. Click on Start>>Right click on the old Fusion icon, Select Remove from this list.

Message 6 of 13
Phil.E

Thanks for reporting this.

The start menu icon should refresh when Fusion 360 updates. So you do show an actual problem, but it's unexpected and hopefully rare.

Do you recall this happening before, from another update? Can you respond to this thread in a few weeks if it happens again? I don't want to let this go if it continues to be a problem.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
ProteumMachining

Mine has been broken off and on since I started using Fusion in Sept. last year.  This applies to my home computer, work computer, and shop computer.  Windows 10.  

Message 8 of 13
Phil.E
in reply to: ProteumMachining

When you say "Mine has been broken off and on ..." what exactly does this mean?

Are you saying that each update wrecks the Start Menu/task bar icon? Or that some updates fix the icons?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
ProteumMachining

Sorry that was a bad response Phil, I didn't include any info. My icon worked for about a month before I noticed it was broken. I seem to remember that I saw it working again at some point before the year was over, but in general it has been broken almost the whole time I've had Fusion. I think it must be update related and how Windows is storing pinned program pictures because as soon as I unpin Fusion and close/reopen it is working again. I'll see if it breaks before the next update.
Message 10 of 13
mikebJL63Z

No problem.  The issue is the "last known program location" C:\Users\THEUSER\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production.  Windows maintains the last know icon location not based on the new "file name" but what it remembers (associated) what it was for this filename.  It doesn't look it up every time because the icons have to be present "before" you run a program.

Message 11 of 13

Once you delete the "bad" shortcut reference off the pinned "favorites" as I describe above, it will force Microsoft to look up the icon association for the filename or any new shortcuts and it will fix it "os-wide".  The ICON is stored with the newest .EXE.

Message 12 of 13

Fixable? Yes. A problem? Definitely. Updating a program shouldn't kill its Explorer icon. You shouldn't have to renew your pins at every update.
Message 13 of 13
baribak

Hi,

The main issue has been taskbar icons no longer launching Fusion after an update. There can be many reasons why this is. Here are some:

1. Check to see if the taskbar icon is pointing to the actual Fusion360.exe file.
  • If this is true then you will need to manually update the path to this file each time we update.

2.   The icon is pointing to the FusionLauncher.exe file but INI is not correct.

• To resolve this you can edit the INI file in Notepad and update the path.

3.  However if #2 applies, you also need to find out why the INI wasn't updated as this is not normal behavior:

• Ensure the folder or files are not read only.
  • Check that the INI file is a text file (wasn't saved in Word, Wordpad, etc.).
  • Was there anything that may have caused the update process to not complete?

And there's:

4.  The icon no longer shows the Fusion image.

• For these, the icon was likely pointing to a ICO file that no longer exists. Although the icon still launches Fusion you'll need to re-add the icon (using the desktop icon) to the taskbar.

Hope this helps but for anything that not's covered here or if you're still having trouble feel free to send me a note with your log files, screen shots, etc. to Kevin dot Baribault at Autodesk dot com. We'll get it resolved.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report