Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pivot point in move no longer available

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Ellworx
625 Views, 5 Replies

Pivot point in move no longer available

I noticed the "Set pivot" point in move is only available in "free move", and not any of the other new move types. I usually reposition the pivot point in most moves so that when I zoom in the pivot point remins visible. Is it possible the "set pivot" option can be made available in all move types as I am unlikely to use them if not.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cx2
Collaborator
in reply to: Ellworx

The last update broke the move tool and a number of other functions

Message 3 of 6
jakefowler

@Ellworx

We provide Set Pivot in Free Move because when you are controlling both translation and rotation together, the pivot point for the rotations affects the behavior of the operation. For the new separated Translate and Rotate modes, we omitted this because these operations don't depend on any specific pivot. The manipulators get centered based on your selection (in a same way to most other modeling commands).

Just to clarify the request: there are cases where the translate/rotate manipulators are off-screen in the relation to your camera, and you want to have a way to ensure that you can access the manipulators regardless of the zoom level + camera angle?

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 4 of 6
Ellworx
in reply to: jakefowler

Don't you want to be able to rotate from a "set pivot" point of the users choice?

Yes, I may be doing things incorrectly, but with the previous version in nearly every situation I set the pivot point to a face or edge either on the component I'm moving or a component close by that I know has the correct alignment. I also put it in a position that makes the pivot point visible when zoomed in. then I use the handles to make the move I want before typing in the exact amount in the highlighted translation or rotation box if required. Seems to work well, but not so well with the new move types. What I would really like to see is a combination of move and align in the same function that would allow component position using one or the other or both. I actually thought the free move or old move function very good apart from not having align available without closing and going into align.

I really am impressed with the quick responses I get from the little gripes I have. I quite often don't expect a reply at all.

Message 5 of 6
jakefowler

@Ellworx

The new standalone Rotate command currently only allows rotation around a single axis - in this scenario a specific pivot point isn't actually needed (the rotation result will be the same at any point along the axis). If we were to introduce multiple axes of rotation to this mode (which we could do in future), then yes, this would also need the ability to Set Pivot. For now, we omitted it to keep this mode as straightforward as possible.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that your workflow was incorrect in any way! I just wanted to clarify the problem, since there could be multiple potential solutions to this particular issue (one example: we could automatically draw the manipulators in a different location after it goes off screen, without the need to manually set the pivot). It's a valid request, and we'll certainly look into it. At least for now, Free Move should continue to give you the same behavior we've had until now; but obviously if you'd like to take advantage of the new modes and this is a barrier to that, we'd like to investigate what might be possible here.

We did actually experiment with merging Move and Align into a single command before - there were some inconsistencies that made it feel strange as a single command, but it's good to know that this would be useful for you, as it's an idea we could still explore in future.

And no worries - we're very keen to help out wherever we can!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 6 of 6
erik.mattsson
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi,

I am also having some trouble with the new move tool and positioning of the pivot. My version of Fusion 360 is 2.0.2681 which I belive is the latest. Previously I could move the pivot by first selecting one of the move arrows and then moving the pivot in the wanted direction by selecting an appropriate snap point to alaign against. In the new move tool I only get the snap points when initially positioning the pivot, when I then select any of the arrows I no longer get any snap points to alaign the pivot against. Can this behaviour be turned on/off somewhere or is it completely gone in the latest update.

Best regards

Erik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report