Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.dxf file types / feature compatiblities

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
maker9876
855 Views, 9 Replies

.dxf file types / feature compatiblities

I imported a .dxf file and the curves on the corners of a planar square (2d fillets) were not there: the square was square.

Are there compatibility issues with .dxf?

(This was apparently a .dxf produced by export from Illustrator. However I've heard other people can "see" the fillets.)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
HughesTooling
in reply to: maker9876

It should work for an arc, the only curve typre I've seen problems with are splines. I seem to remember if you have a poly curve it doesn't import correctly, if you explode into lines and curves the import works.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
maker9876
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks.

Reading around the subject there does seem to be something going on there.

In an adobe forum I found "what you need to do in Illustrator is use the Object»Path»Simplify menu item, and then check the "Straight Lines" option. You may need to use the "Object»Paths»Add Anchor Points" menu item a few times before simplifying to straight lines gives you enough detail."

All I can say is that this definitely worth a feature request: "proper support for importing various forms of curve in .dxf files."

I'm sure that's somewhere in the Autodesk codebase!

Message 4 of 10
HughesTooling

Can you attach one of the DXF files that doesn't import, I'm just curious to see what's causing the problem.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
maker9876

Sure. I have to wait a couple of days before this design is officially "open source" (it's not mine) and then I'll post. Thanks for taking an interest.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

What is described by the OP is a very common problem with DXF import in many CAD systems.  It seems the DXF spec is not only subject to interpretation, so different applications interpret it in different ways, but also changes often, so there are about a billion different versions of DXF.  The result is DXF import is a nightmare.  This has been my experience with every CAD program I've ever used that supported DXF/DWG import.  Some features disappear entirely, others get mis-converted, often in very bizarre ways.

Regards,

Ray L.

Message 7 of 10
maker9876

Here we are, two files.

The JPEG shows how the central rectangle should look.

The DXF looks different (square corners) when imported in Fusion360.

DXF (for lasercutting) was an export from Adobe Illustrator and is a part of this distribution: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1521722

Message 8 of 10
HughesTooling

I've opened your file in 3 other programs and they all show a sharp corner, have you tried reimporting into the program it came from.

Rhino

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
maker9876

Interesting.

The creator of the file assures me that some people have had luck with it.

It was created with Adobe Illustrator. I'll communicate your suggestion and let you know if we discover anything.

Thanks.
Message 10 of 10
maker9876

Well, the solution found was as follows. The file creator says (in Adobe Illustrator) "I clicked 'expanded appearance' on all the vectors. Then i exported the DXF and changed the option from 'Maximum Editability' to 'Preserve Appearance'."

It appears to have had the desired effect and the .dxf now compares favourably to the .jpeg.

Have learnt to be careful with dxf. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report