Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This software is HIDEOUS for Revit 3d models

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
RevitUser123
1761 Views, 7 Replies

This software is HIDEOUS for Revit 3d models

It is dark, the shadows suck, and many other issues.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BIMTIM
in reply to: RevitUser123

If you need your 3D model to look 'nice' use Showcase.

This is designed for design review, not really presentation. Try Playing with the lights, not that there are many options. 'No lights' Works well for darker revit models, headlamp, is a waste of time.

Message 3 of 8
a.a.adryan

Hello

Are you using Showcase 2012? 

If you are, I would highly recommand trying Showcase 2013 SP2. 

Autodesk made massive visual improvments in Showcase 2013.

I attached an image of the Revit sample scene that I imported into Showcase. Have a look

I would like to see what you have (a few pics), maybe I can assit you by offering a few suggestions on how to improve the visual quality of your Revit geometry in Showcase?

Message 4 of 8
RevitUser123
in reply to: a.a.adryan

I heard about this. This requires the Design Suite so you can link the Revit model to showcase (cannot do with Suite). Also. Can showcase handle large Revit models, or even a site with linked models in it? Before with 2012 I had to export a fbx file and it would be horrible with resources. Respectfully, Corbin S.
Message 5 of 8
a.a.adryan

You do not need to get the design suite. I believe that you can purchase Showcase on it's own 

http://store.autodesk.com/store/adskus/en_US/buy/Autodesk_Showcase_2013/productID.247425400?mktvar00...

Also, you can link the Revit Model without the suite. Here is how:

1) Export Revit geometry into FBX 

2) Import FBX into Showcase

and anytime you re-export the FBX and replace the one that you used to import into Showcase, Showcase will inform you that you need to reload the geometry in the import status

To answer your other Question. Yes, Showcase does handle large data sets. However to get good performance you have to combine the geometry and break the link to the originating FBX file

Here is a tip:

Showcase ships with a plug-in called "AutoGroupCustom.py"

Running this plugin will automatically group and combine your scenes geometry to make it run nice an smooth, but beware that this would break the link.

You'll go from having thousands of separate objects to only a few hundred, which is more manageable.

Message 6 of 8
narlee
in reply to: a.a.adryan

AutoGroupCustom.py must be integral to the Revit Suite Workflow path, because using that seemed to improve the smoothness of the walkthru quite a bit.

Message 7 of 8
narlee
in reply to: narlee

A.A. Dryan,

1) How do I change/can I change my little screen name to something else (it is showing as "design").

2) How do I run that plug-in. I can't seem to figure it out.

Thx,

Message 8 of 8
narlee
in reply to: narlee

btw, gigantic improvement over prior showcase.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report