Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.stp 3d viewer

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sturner333
21733 Views, 10 Replies

.stp 3d viewer

I need a .stp 3d free file viewer. Does Autodesk have one?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: sturner333

http://stpviewer.com/ and Google search for more as needed.

Message 3 of 11
j.reina
in reply to: pendean

The question asked was "Does AUTODESK offer a STP viewer?"  No, as far as I can tell they do not.  Freeware viewers are out there, but they're not REALLY free, but rather just timed trial versions.

Message 4 of 11
pendean
in reply to: j.reina

Why are you responding to a 6-year old post? And why are you assuming a 6-year old solution is the only one out there today?
All current Autodesk viewers, in this the year 2016, are listed here http://www.autodesk.com/viewers/all-viewers
Message 5 of 11
j.reina

Yes, responding to a six year old post seems silly, but my comment stands. Autodesk's viewers (all umpteen of them) DO NOT open .STP files.
Message 6 of 11
pendean

STP is not an Autodesk created file format and they don't make viewers for everything they support or touch for free, you'll have to purchase a program from them for that ability. Not sure why you would assume everyone should make free software to view everything.
I'd rather they spend their time and effort working on their software instead.
Message 7 of 11
DeerSpotter

here is a great one that we use: https://www.opencascade.com/content/cad-assistant

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 8 of 11
Macumazahn

I don't think the person said or implied that AutoDesk should or shouldn't provide ability to view 3D files. They simply pointed out that AD doesn't have a viewer that works on .stp, which you took issue with, questioning (in a fairly rude tone, IMO) why someone would "assume" that 6 years later AD still wouldn't have a viewer that works on . stp files. But as demonstrated in the link you included, they don't.  Which made your post pointless other than prove yourself wrong. 

Why do so many AD "experts" get so defensive over their products? Seems like people aren't willing to acknowledge they're imperfect and their software, while amazing and the gold standard, is still very much imperfect and simply doesn't perform the way it's advertised to.  

I use Inventor now. It's AMAZING, but imperfect.  Managers read what AD is advertised to do and then wonder why we struggle so much to duplicate it. User error, must be. 

Message 9 of 11
j.reina

My feelings exactly. Thank you for pointing this out so well.
[TMlogo]
Joe Reina
Configuration Manager/ Sr. Designer
Tampa Microwave
11200 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. N. Suite103
St. Petersburg, FL 33716
813-855-2251 ext 114
j.reina@tampamicrowave.com
Message 10 of 11
pendean
in reply to: Macumazahn

AD doesn't have a viewer for many file formats considered 'industry standard" depending on the industry.

But AD is not the only game in town either: when you can't find what you want at shopA, go to shopB or C or Z until you do. It's a wonderful free world/planet out there.

Inventor forum is over here to address any issue, concerns, and possible fixes if any to what you might need assuming it is the correct software to meet those needs https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor/ct-p/70
Message 11 of 11
DeerSpotter

the thing is Inventor is focused in this industry specific request. 

.stp files are a common thing being used in 3D cad File Softwares. Why Inventor never made a quick Viewer for .stp files? Probably they didnt realize the potential profit. This is at the point where it could be added by a intern at Autodesk and no-one would even notice anything different. So much Open Source code out there to make this easy. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

See My LinkedIn Profile

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report