Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall AutoCAD?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JIMDONALDSON6595
364 Views, 3 Replies

Reinstall AutoCAD?

After installing True View 2012 and Design Review 2012. When I tried to open a DWG file I get the error msg

The current installation of AutoCAD has been modified. Please reinstall the latest version of AutoCAD to open DWG files in Design Review

Why am I getting this error? Isn't DEsign and True View supposed to be stand alone products? I thought I could install thee two programs on machines without AutoCAD. So why is my AutoCAD causing problems?

I am trying to implement procedures for non cad users company wide and I can't even get the stupid software to run.

Jim

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: JIMDONALDSON6595

The error message is specific to ADR, nothing else:

"... to open DWG files in Design Review."

You seem to be trying to open a DWG file in the DWF viewer DesignReview (it does not do such a thing). It would appear is has hijacked your DWG file extension. Start R2012 to break the cycle, or edit the OPEN WITH option in Windows Explorer as a lst resort.

I know you have R2012, so why did you install the TRUEVIEW optional extra app? Avoid opening DWG files with the DWF viewer (DesignReview) or the companion TRUEVIEW (feel free to uninstall it). I only use the DesignReview program with DWFs, and create the DWFs in AutoCAD (not TrueView).

Message 3 of 4
JIMDONALDSON6595
in reply to: pendean

Sorry for the late reply, I've been cut to 16 hrs a week now.

The reason for installing True View was to test options and set guidelines for other office's and non-ACAD users. As the only trained and experienced CAD user in the company, I have to develop standards and practices for the company.

Jim

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: JIMDONALDSON6595

As you found out, DWGTRUEVIEW assumes that's all you want to use and hijacks the DWG file definition. You will need to remember to start R2012 first before you open a DWG file if you want the DWG to get assigned back to it by default.

Repeat everytime you activate DWGTRUEVIEW alone or through ADR.

Autodesk assumes no one with AutoCAD will actually use DWGTRUEVIEW and doe not make allowances for it otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report