Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"There was a problem displaying the file"

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
noahma
4707 Views, 15 Replies

"There was a problem displaying the file"

Whenever I export one of my models from Autocad Architecture 2009, I get this error message, and then cannot see any of said model. "There was a problem displaying the file" This happens with EVERY 3d model export. 2d plots just fine though. Any ideas on how to fix this?
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
SilviaCao
in reply to: noahma

Thank you for your question.

Please download the latest Autodesk Design Reviewer 2010 and test again, i don't see this error dialog when I export a model from Autocad Architecture 2009.

If the issue still exists, please upload your test files (the original Autocad file, the exported 3d model DWF/DWFx file, and more descriptions about the procession you export the 3d model) here and post back with the link for me to investigate.

Silvia

Silvia Cao
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 16
noahma

Thank you for the reply, sorry it took me a while to respond. I do have the newest version of Design Review installed.
the problem is not contained to only one project, it goes with really any project. I can export a simple single mass element into a DWFX file and successfully open it for viewing, but anything more than that and I get the error "there was a problem displaying the file" my project files are simply too big to upload. But I can give you a good description of how I am creating them. I have all of my project files using Autocad Architecture xref'd into a view file. I then type in Export and choose the DWFx extension, and press save. I have tried to bind the xref's and I get the same error result. I have tred this usin Autocad Architecture 2008-2009-2010.

All with the same results.

It seems to stem from the projects created under 2009

(Before pressing the post button, I attempted to upload a DWF and DWG file that was having problems, I reduced them to the smallest file size I could possably do, and it would not allow me to upload them due to size [
Message 4 of 16
SilviaCao

Thank you for your persistence and patience.

Maybe you could please try to separate the DWG and DWF files into a few smaller individual zip files and then try to upload them again?

Silvia

Silvia Cao
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 16
wouterbleumink

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I think it is related to the render materials used in the model. I allready tried to disable any 'procedural mappings' used in the material's but to no effect.

when i change my display-representation to anything other then 'Bouwkundig VIZ', i have no problem creating a 3DDWF

i attached 2 files for you to test

thanx in advance
Message 6 of 16
wouterbleumink

and the DWG file
Message 7 of 16
kevin.moore

Hi,

I verified the DWF file you attached cannot be opened in ADR 2010.

I was able to Publish your DWG file using AutoCAD 2010 SP1 and view the DWF and DWFx files in ADR 2010. However, I did get a warning, "Incompatible or missing plot style.' when publishing the DWF and DWFx files. Also, both of my DWF/DWFx files were smaller.

I suspect either there is a problem with the Page setup for the 2D "Work" layout that might be corrupting the DWF file.

Experiments:

3D model only - 3DDWF command.
1. Open the DWG file. 2. Select the Model tab. Enter "3DDWF". This will publish a 3D DWF file.

3D model only - Publish, delete the Layout tab in the Publish dialog.
1. Open the DWG file. 2. Enter Publish. Select the Work layout, right click, delete. Publish.

3D model only - Publish, delete the layout tab in the DWG file. (Do not save! or test with a copy.)
1. Open the DWG file. Right click on the "Work" layout tab and delete it. Publish.

I would like to figure out if the 2D layout is causing problems or if there is a problem with 3D publishing.

Please let us know if you can create a 3D DWF file.

Thank you,

Kevin

Kevin Moore
Test Development
AutoCAD
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 16
noahma

1. problem displaying files.

2. same, problem displaying file.

3. same, problem displaying the file.

I have no idea what is causing this.

If I create the project for Autocad Architecture in Autocad Architecture 2008, it has no problem creating the DWFX, it only happens when I create a project in 2009, then attempt to create a DWFX file out of that project.

Thank you for the replys. I am glad I am not going crazy, and others may be having the same problems as I am.
Message 9 of 16
wouterbleumink

I am sorry, i did not mention that i was trying to create a 3D DWF only.

The attached DWF was created using the 3DDWF command from ACA2009

I tried the same method in ACA2010, but it has the same result.

I think it has something to do with the materials used. When i switch display configuration's to anything but 'Bouwkundig VIZ' i have no problem creating a 3DDWF

I will try the other 2 options you mentioned and report back to you

TIA

Wouter
Message 10 of 16
wouterbleumink

Alas,

the other 2 methodes you mentioned did not work either.

The problem is restricted to the 'Bouwkundig VIZ' display configuration in the DWG. I normally use this representation for e.g. creating artist impressions.
Message 11 of 16
nzanbil

I experienced this same issue when exporting files that were created in ShipConstructor 2008. A work around I've found is to explode the blocks, or referenced files, I tend to remove all the lines and polylines as well, although this might not be necessary. Good luck.
Message 12 of 16
wouterbleumink

Anybody found a solution for this problem?

it is becomming really annoying not to be able to create a 3DDWF with realistic materials etc.

TIA

Wouter
Message 13 of 16
wouterbleumink

Well,

I have been searching for a solution.... and i found a workaround.

If i create a section-line next to the model and set it up so it goes trough the entire model (so it actually does not create a section) and set the section-line to 'live section', i can export the model to a 3D-dwf and open it in DesignReview without problem's

Hope this help's others with the same problem...
Message 14 of 16

Just got this error on attempt to open in Design Review 2013 Unverferth Bearing Maintanance.ipb (from the sample projects pack) exported to DWF with Inventor Publisher 2013 SP3.

Message 15 of 16

Nevermind - I can't reproduce the issue from the other PC

Message 16 of 16

Just Got this error on attempt to open DWG exported to DWFx....will try export it to DWF

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report