Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing symbol catalogs

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
drewski300
2899 Views, 5 Replies

Purchasing symbol catalogs

Is there any resources out there for purchasing electrial symbols to be used with Design Review?

I know there is a million places to purchase DWG files but I'm under the assumption that you need full AutoCAD in order to convert those files. Very new with this so please take it easy on me! Smiley Happy

The intent is to mark up architect drawings with some electrical symbols. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: drewski300

No such tools exist for ADR.

Message 3 of 6
drewski300
in reply to: pendean

So the idea behind it is to be a compliment to the full version? But you can add a symbol catalog that contains electrical symbols, correct?

So it's either pony up and buy the real deal or find someone willing to convert and share?

Thanks again for the help!

Message 4 of 6
pendean

ADR is a DWF viewer and markup tool: DWF much like PDF are not great file types of software to use in produiction work. Kind of like using Adobe Acrobat for the same task with PDFs, who does that except for a rare case for extreme remote communications?

If you want to do such markups, explore using a professional markup tool like Microsoft Visio: lots of symbols libraries you can also purchase, and you can use DWG and PDF files (not DWF files).

if you are working with a DWG file, there are free CAD programs out there that can read and write to the format: coupled with free symbols libraries from the internet you can markup a DWG file with these symbol catalogs with much more precision.

If you want to purchase AutoCAD, there is no discount for having used the free viewer/markup tool: ADR is not a stepping stone to anything, it's a free tool for a very specific task. If you deal with DWG files and other firms, you all might benefit from collaborating at http://www.autocadws.com for free (account setup required). The DWG file creator can can symbols for you to use in each file.

AutoCAD LT is the most cost effective and AutoCAD is the most commonly used. You may be interested in AutOCAD Electerical if that is your focus. None of these are cheap and only the last one comes with that specific symbols package.

If there are deals to be had, your local Autodesk reseller would be the one to contact: they can also guide you to the best version of AutoCAD you can use.

Message 5 of 6
drewski300

Thanks for you help!

Message 6 of 6
pendean

Wish I had better news to share.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report