Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot or Publish???

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
muse95
355 Views, 8 Replies

Plot or Publish???

After a call to the help desk, I was shown how to "plot" a DWF with layer information from the DWG viewer.
I still can't "publish" a DWF, though. I have a "layout not initialized" error, that I can't seem to get rid of, no matter what I try.
1. What is the benefit of using Publish over Plot?
2. Should I even worry about not being able to use that function?
3. If I want or find that I need to start Publishing, how do I get rid of that error? I can't find any help information of use. At least help me find the relevant help info - I haven't found anything helpful through searching or the available help topics.
4. We draw schematics in AutoCAD, using different layers for different pages. Is there a way to turn layers into separate pages in a multipage DWF? The long way is to plot each layer as a separate DWF file, and then drag and drop them into Composer and save the new multipage DWF. Would there be a way to do it in one step?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: muse95

> I still can't "publish" a DWF, though. I have a "layout not initialized" error, that I can't seem to get rid of, no matter what I try. Go into pagesetup and setup the page > 1. What is the benefit of using Publish over Plot? Personally a plot is faster if its a single page dwf. You have to use publish for a multi-page dwf > 2. Should I even worry about not being able to use that function? Depends on if you use multi-pages > 3. If I want or find that I need to start Publishing, how do I get rid of that error? >I can't find any help information of use. At least help me find the relevant help info - >I haven't found anything helpful through searching or the available help topics. I ran into that with model space. Use layouts for printing instead especially in leiu of your next question > 4. We draw schematics in AutoCAD, using different layers for different pages. Is there a way to turn layers into separate pages in a multipage DWF? The long way is to plot each layer as a separate DWF file, and then drag and drop them into Composer and save the new multipage DWF. Would there be a way to do it in one step? Sounds like you need to learn to use layouts - that's what they're for -- -- Mike ___________________________ Mike Tuersley ___________________________ the trick is to realize that there is no spoon...
Message 3 of 9
muse95

All right, thank you for the helpful start. I have no formal training in AutoCAD, and all my experience with AutoCAD is with LT98 or older packages. I will look nto trying to figure out layouts.
Regarding "Go into pagesetup and setup the page". I have done that over and over again, and it doesn't seem to keep it, or when I go into the publish window it doesn't seem to be available there. Does that have to be done in the original dwg in ACAD instead? I am starting to think there is some sort of bug in the software, if not.

Where can I find specific help on setting up a page? The help file in Composer on this topic is extremely poor.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

The help would be in AutoCAD, not Composer. -- Mike ___________________________ Mike Tuersley ___________________________ the trick is to realize that there is no spoon...
Message 5 of 9
muse95

I thought I posted a reply, but it isn't here.
Could you be a little more detailed in your response?
Can I do what you say I need to do, using ACAD LT98? that is the newest full pkg I have access to.
I don't see a "page setup" feature in LT.
Why is there even a "page setup manager" in the DWG viewer if it doesn't seem to have any power to change anything? What is its purpose?
Am I misunderstanding this whole concept? {please don't just answer "yes"}
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Yes Just kidding. I believe you need a newer version - LT 2004+ or full Acad2004+. I've got no idea about dwg viewer - I didn't know it shipped with one [unless you're talking about that LT version of LT it ships with] Yeah, that was a sarcastic slam at adesk! We need a REAL dwg viewer with a REAL ocx or equivalent for shop viewers, doc mgmt systems, etc, where dwf isn't a viable option. Back to it, I removed the dwg viewer after I saw what it was since I've got every version between 2002 and 2006 plus all the verticals already installed. Side effect of being a developer/VAR. -- Mike ___________________________ Mike Tuersley ___________________________ the trick is to realize that there is no spoon...
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I have found it necessary to only use the publish command in a new blank drawing. I always crash AutoCAD if the drawing I have current when I execute the publish command is one that is being published. Maybe this will help. jen -- "muse95" wrote in message news:9023915.1112123783922.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > After a call to the help desk, I was shown how to "plot" a DWF with layer information from the DWG viewer. > I still can't "publish" a DWF, though. I have a "layout not initialized" error, that I can't seem to get rid of, no matter what I try. > 1. What is the benefit of using Publish over Plot? > 2. Should I even worry about not being able to use that function? > 3. If I want or find that I need to start Publishing, how do I get rid of that error? I can't find any help information of use. At least help me find the relevant help info - I haven't found anything helpful through searching or the available help topics. > 4. We draw schematics in AutoCAD, using different layers for different pages. Is there a way to turn layers into separate pages in a multipage DWF? The long way is to plot each layer as a separate DWF file, and then drag and drop them into Composer and save the new multipage DWF. Would there be a way to do it in one step?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Publish is not intended for a single drawing thus the problem you are seeing. Besides, its 10x faster to plot even if the publish worked. -- Mike ___________________________ Mike Tuersley ___________________________ the trick is to realize that there is no spoon...
Message 9 of 9
muse95

Now that is the first really helpful description I have finally seen as to what the difference is between plot and publish, and when you would do what.
It finally makes sense.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report