Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manipulation of DWF

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jbelleau
239 Views, 11 Replies

Manipulation of DWF

Does anyone know whether a DWF file can be saved as a DWG file?

Thanks. JeannieB
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jbelleau

It cannot. -- R. Robert Bell "JeannieB" wrote in message news:5671594.1090876883549.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... Does anyone know whether a DWF file can be saved as a DWG file? Thanks. JeannieB
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

With AutoCAD 2005 and DWF Composer you can publish a dwf from AutoCAD, mark it up in DWF Composer and bring the markups back into AutoCAD. -- Sriram Gopalakrishnan Autodesk
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Try this; http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/default.asp?tab=2&t=convert%20dwf%20to%20dwg http://www.intelcad.com/pages/dwfin/ HTH VJoseph "JeannieB" wrote in message news:5671594.1090876883549.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Does anyone know whether a DWF file can be saved as a DWG file? > > Thanks. JeannieB
Message 5 of 12
jbelleau

Thanks. I didn't think so but my supervisor was fairly sure it could be.
Message 6 of 12
jbelleau

Thank you. We are still using 2004 so I would think the capabilities are still close.

JeannieB
Message 7 of 12
jbelleau

Good site info...thanks. But YIKES, I was trying to assure my superiors that their work could not be reconstructed to be used at a future time by someone else. It was my "push" to get them to use DWF capabililties. They were sending out actual AutoCAD dwgs prior to my coming on board.

JeannieB
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Note that the solutions in that post do not have the accuracy of the original .dwg file. No mention was made either of blocks. My bet is that since the solutions didn't mention blocks surviving; they don't. However, only testing would prove that point. -- R. Robert Bell "JeannieB" wrote in message news:14902601.1090934698886.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... Good site info...thanks. But YIKES, I was trying to assure my superiors that their work could not be reconstructed to be used at a future time by someone else. It was my "push" to get them to use DWF capabililties. They were sending out actual AutoCAD dwgs prior to my coming on board. JeannieB
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Anything that can be viewed or shared can be copied. There is no safe format and if somebody wants something recreated they can. Digitally will get them close or send it overseas for pennies on the dollar of what it cost to create it in the first place and they will do it no questions asked. With both DWF and PDF they are vector formats so you can bring it back in as a vector but things like dimensions and blocks are likely going to be split up into individual lines. The accuracy isn't there but it's close enough for most work. Millions were spent trying to keep DVDs safe and some kid hacking away broke it in no time. It's like a car. I don't care if you have a lojack system on it. If they pull it into a lead lined semi the signals not going to get out. So if somebody wants it they are going to get it. As one of our customers pointed out even if you password protect it so you can't print it he can do a screen capture or put it on a large screen monitor and take a digital photo and get pretty good results. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "JeannieB" wrote in message news:14902601.1090934698886.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > Good site info...thanks. But YIKES, I was trying to assure my superiors that their work could not be reconstructed to be used at a future time by someone else. It was my "push" to get them to use DWF capabililties. They were sending out actual AutoCAD dwgs prior to my coming on board. > > JeannieB
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Jeannie, People can resurrect your design from paper as well. The limitation is the DWF is default at 300dpi which is a lot less precision. There is no 100% way to protect the design unless you plot it to paper, then burn the paper. Sad but true. Sincerely, Shaan Hurley "JeannieB" wrote in message news:14902601.1090934698886.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > Good site info...thanks. But YIKES, I was trying to assure my superiors > that their work could not be reconstructed to be used at a future time by > someone else. It was my "push" to get them to use DWF capabililties. > They were sending out actual AutoCAD dwgs prior to my coming on board. > > JeannieB
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Looks like you are aware of the accuracy aspect. So I am not saying anything new here....but I just want to point out that the comparison to anti-piracy efforts in DVDs is incorrect. The difference is that in DWFs accurate model information isnt hidden or protected - its just not there. So you can hack all you want but what you get will only be as accurate as whats in there. Even with prints and plots you can scan the hard copy output, pump it through a raster to vector converter and get vector information out. If the publisher wishes, DWFs can be made to be only as accurate as paper. -- Sriram Gopalakrishnan Autodesk
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

True but for what most people are trying to copy the DWF the accuracy is probably perfectly fine. Since DWF Composer can fairly accurately measure distances the accuracy is there for most uses. As Shaan points out basically the only way to secure your data is to not share it in the first place. I come from the mechanical background and why most people would want to convert a DWF to a DWG would be to drop the part that they are purchasing into an assembly or drop the machine into a plant layout. But in both these cases as with any case of converting something to DWG the user should be asking for (or requiring) a DWG in the first place instead of a DWF. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Sriram Gopalakrishnan - Autodesk" wrote in message news:41076fd6$1_3@newsprd01... > Looks like you are aware of the accuracy aspect. So I am not saying anything > new here....but I just want to point out that the comparison to anti-piracy > efforts in DVDs is incorrect. The difference is that in DWFs accurate model > information isnt hidden or protected - its just not there. So you can hack > all you want but what you get will only be as accurate as whats in there. > > Even with prints and plots you can scan the hard copy output, pump it > through a raster to vector converter and get vector information out. > > If the publisher wishes, DWFs can be made to be only as accurate as paper. > > -- > Sriram Gopalakrishnan > Autodesk > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report