Design Review

*Sriram Gopalakrishnan - Autodesk
Message 11 of 12 (72 Views)

Re: Manipulation of DWF

07-28-2004 02:20 AM in reply to: jbelleau
Looks like you are aware of the accuracy aspect. So I am not saying anything new here....but I just want to point out that the comparison to anti-piracy efforts in DVDs is incorrect. The difference is that in DWFs accurate model information isnt hidden or protected - its just not there. So you can hack all you want but what you get will only be as accurate as whats in there. Even with prints and plots you can scan the hard copy output, pump it through a raster to vector converter and get vector information out. If the publisher wishes, DWFs can be made to be only as accurate as paper. -- Sriram Gopalakrishnan Autodesk
*Rodney McManamy - CADzation
Message 12 of 12 (72 Views)

Re: Manipulation of DWF

07-28-2004 06:39 AM in reply to: jbelleau
True but for what most people are trying to copy the DWF the accuracy is probably perfectly fine. Since DWF Composer can fairly accurately measure distances the accuracy is there for most uses. As Shaan points out basically the only way to secure your data is to not share it in the first place. I come from the mechanical background and why most people would want to convert a DWF to a DWG would be to drop the part that they are purchasing into an assembly or drop the machine into a plant layout. But in both these cases as with any case of converting something to DWG the user should be asking for (or requiring) a DWG in the first place instead of a DWF. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Sriram Gopalakrishnan - Autodesk" wrote in message news:41076fd6$1_3@newsprd01... > Looks like you are aware of the accuracy aspect. So I am not saying anything > new here....but I just want to point out that the comparison to anti-piracy > efforts in DVDs is incorrect. The difference is that in DWFs accurate model > information isnt hidden or protected - its just not there. So you can hack > all you want but what you get will only be as accurate as whats in there. > > Even with prints and plots you can scan the hard copy output, pump it > through a raster to vector converter and get vector information out. > > If the publisher wishes, DWFs can be made to be only as accurate as paper. > > -- > Sriram Gopalakrishnan > Autodesk > > > > >
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.