Design Review

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 51 of 157 (1,763 Views)

Re: Is Design Review discontinued?

09-23-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

scott.sheppard wrote:

RK:

I have not heard even a hint that DWG TrueView is being discontinued. Since DWG TrueView is a trimmed down version of AutoCAD,and AutoCAD is still in full swing, I don't expect any change there. 

Thanks for the info on DWG Trueview.

Mentor
Lance_White
Message 52 of 157 (1,702 Views)

09-24-2013 12:32 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

And what about the people that don't have high speed internet availiable? As in we can not get it where we are? Downloading the install software is not even a posability for us. The people that most often use Design Review don't even have internet access, what then since Autodesk seems determined to not allow network deployment of this.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Contributor
sielim
Message 53 of 157 (1,670 Views)

09-25-2013 07:48 AM in reply to: FT398

to clarify - does this mean the DWF file format will die - or will 360 keep using it?  we're looking to replace our Survey web app next year.  when the user views the record for the room, we display the drawing for the floor (dwf) and turn layers on/off on the fly - to show them what room their looking at and which rooms belong to their department .  i don't want to rewrite this, thinking we can display DWF files in our web page, if it's going to be phaed out.

any long term, file format thoughts - for web page embedding/display ( & turning layers on/off on the fly )  - or just "wait and see" what happens w 360?

context: we currently use a program called "EZHatch" (dveloped by CAFM) - which creates the DWF files with seperate "hatch" layers for each room in our drawings, and also adds some text from the database (room numbers).

thanks in advance!!

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 54 of 157 (1,636 Views)

09-25-2013 06:22 PM in reply to: Lance_White

Lance:

You should try the silent install for widespread deployment of Autodesk Design Review.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/adr2013_install_guide.htm#InstallADRSilent

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 55 of 157 (1,634 Views)

09-25-2013 06:27 PM in reply to: sielim

Sielim:

The DWF file format is open source. Anyone can download it. Autodesk Design REview is still available for download. So you can stick with what you have. The publishing part of DWF comes from our design applications that we continue to sell bundled in suites. I am only stating two things:

1. There won't be any new releases of the application known as Autodesk Design Review.

2. We will improve our web-based services, such as adding an offline mode for people without connectivity, under the Autodesk 360 umbrella to provide an electronic review process.

For people who wish to continue using Autodesk Design Review and the DWF format as is, we are happy with that.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Contributor
sielim
Message 56 of 157 (1,600 Views)

09-26-2013 01:48 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

thanks for your response.  the question then is - how stable is the dwf file format expected to be?  wondering if the dwf file format might change in 2015 (or 2016) and then any web app using the 2013 api might become obsolete?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 57 of 157 (1,590 Views)

09-26-2013 02:12 PM in reply to: sielim
I doubt a publicly traded company is going to answer that question in a public forum: future forecasts are as hard for corporations as they are for individuals. Only time will tell.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 58 of 157 (1,573 Views)

09-27-2013 05:04 AM in reply to: sielim

Sielim:

As Dean points out, I can't make any iron-clad promises, but I do not expect the DWF format to change, because that is not where our focus is.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Contributor
peteh
Message 59 of 157 (1,359 Views)

10-10-2013 06:29 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

I have been programming AutoCA since they added VBA to it.  I can't even remember the release number.

Next they released a product called Mechanical Desktop for 3D work... greatest thing in the wold they told me.  But wait, Inventor (costs a lot more) came along and then they dumped Mechanical Desktop.  Inventor had projects and the sales people really pushed how great that was.  Then, suddenly they decided projects were no good and removed them from a release of Invenor only to put pojects back in SP1 for that version.

Also, I have been using dwf since WHIP!.  I can't count the number of applications to view dwf they have made.  They even discontinued dwf and made a dwg reader that didn't work, so they went back to dwf.

What I am trying to say is Autodesk is always changing their model.  I don't think they have a long term commitment to anything.  It's all about $.  They are a just a company looking to make the most money they can.  That is their focus.

Active Contributor
zlotinas
Message 60 of 157 (1,321 Views)

10-11-2013 04:19 AM in reply to: peteh

Totally agree.

No clear announcements, no explanations, no future plans...

Although Autodesk is not a charity organization and all they do is for profit - user oriented policy is simply outrages, especially if you take into account such a big thing as an filetype support. Huge design organizations create they databases and design-construction worklfows based on certain file type circulation.

What's next? DWG? :smileyhappy:

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.