Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Design Review discontinued?

326 REPLIES 326
Message 1 of 327
FT398
32285 Views, 326 Replies

Is Design Review discontinued?

So all the 2014 products are out now but Design Review 2014 is conspicuous in its absence. It isn't available for download (still only 2013 available) and it hasn't been included in any of the other product installers where it always has been in the past.

Have I missed something or is this the end of the road?

326 REPLIES 326
Message 21 of 327
Tim.West
in reply to: karthur1

Nice enhancement....

Revit 2014 dwf(x) files now have diffuse testures baked on, so you can see 'realistic' revit models in Design Review.... As they discontiune it...

It is a sad day, I use ADR all the time

Message 22 of 327
patxi_autodesk
in reply to: FT398

It is absolutely incredible and unacceptable that Autodesk continues to play with users without giving any official information, not even partial about the future of  this product.

Message 23 of 327
pendean
in reply to: patxi_autodesk

You probably should read this entire thread instead of just repeating a question that many have answered (in this thread).
Message 24 of 327
O.Maille
in reply to: pendean

Can you direct me to the officially published clear information?

Message 25 of 327
pendean
in reply to: O.Maille

If there was one we'd all be point to it and this thread would not exist.
Read through all the posts again, that's all that is available.
Message 26 of 327
jeffreybm
in reply to: FT398

I'm a professor, and I require all my students to submit their drawings via Design Review.  I grade with markup tools and email right back.  Makes everything efficient & convenient.  Would be a shame to see this go away.

Message 27 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: jeffreybm

Autodesk Design Review 2013 will continue to be available for download from our website, but Autodesk is focusing on delivering enhanced cloud and mobile workflows that integrate with desktop collaboration.  Enhancements to the desktop viewing experience will most likely come from that work, and not a desktop-only solution like Design Review. The DWF file format did not change as part of the 2014 releases, so Autodesk Design Review 2013 works perfectly with the 2014 product line.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 28 of 327
dgorsman
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Thanks for the update, Scott.  But an online tool isn't going fly very well when the vast majority of our users *aren't* mobile, and bouncing up to the cloud and back is less efficient than working on files on our internal network.  Once there is reliable and fully private or in-house cloud service then we can give that a go.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 29 of 327
tim
Observer

@Anonymous wrote:
The DWF file format did not change as part of the 2014 releases, so Autodesk Design Review 2013 works perfectly with the 2014 product line.

Scott,

Can you please direct us to where we can download Trueview 2013 as an offline installer? ADR 2013 won't work with later versions, and the only delivery method for ADR is the Akaimai download manager which I don't use.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Found them Here

Message 30 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: dgorsman

I envision an offline mode for web-based tools for situations like when people are out in the middle of nowhere, on a plane, or deep in a basement.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 31 of 327
O.Maille
in reply to: Tim.West

I also envisage a time when one can edit files from other clouds or in a two-way sync with the autodesk cloud (which is painfully slow).

Given the lack of a usable offline mode or real cloud integration for the past few years I'm not holding my breath.

I actually think the way forward lays in using GIS for simple 2d drawing as features can be individually checked in and out so there is no need to sync a massive proprietry .dwg file. Maybe the industrial will finally be freeded from .dwg for simple files and will use revit for everything else.

Message 32 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: karthur1

Is the link for download at http://www.autodesk.com/designreview not what you want? I know it checks your system and then downloads what's missing. There are separate installers for Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review. I am not aware of one EXE that has both of them and all of the possible dependencies.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 33 of 327
tim
Observer

Scott,

I do not like the Akaimai Downloader (deleted rant..) and would prefer a solution that allows deployment to a network.

The Page your link directs to has a direct download for ADR 2013 with all dependencies (188MB Offline installer)

The link I provided is to DWG Trueview installers with all dependencies (312MB Offline installer) Both the 32 and 64-bit versions work with 32-bit ADR.

Message 34 of 327

What would then be the Autodesk 360 workflow for reviewing and markup editing of dwfx exports from Inventor (or similar) in the future? I know today I can open them in ADR 2013, but since it seems like you're invisioning something else I would like to see if I can adjust my workflow before I start to educate my fellow workmates...:)

/Ub

Message 35 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: O.Maille

Thank you for the question. I am not here to delude anyone. If you want an electronic review process, given the current state of Autodesk 360, Autodesk Design Review is still the way to go. But the original question was is Design Review being discontinued, and the answer is yes, it will eventually be replaced by Autodesk 360. Until that time, the 2013 version is available for download from the Autodesk site and works with the 2014 product line since the DWF format did not change.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 36 of 327

If ADR is to be discontinued "at some point" I would hope that 360 then have an offline mode. To assume everything can be done Online All The Time is not a good assumption to make.

Message 37 of 327
hwalker
in reply to: shaunfarrell5867

Discontinuing DR is a bad move for me. I have someone who does not have / nor need Autocad, but does review my drawings, and designreview is a perfect tool for him to use.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 38 of 327
romanthompson
in reply to: hwalker

I am trying to get some opinions together for a reaserch paper on ADR i will be submitting to various people. One new topic that has been brought to my attention is that the discontinuing of ADR and the new software they are proposing. I understand some people have a strong view onw way or the other. Please vist the forum page where i am trying to get some disscussions together and voice your opinions. Why do you prefer ADR...Will you change... 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Design-Review/BlueBeam-Revu-Vs-Autodesk-Design-Review/m-p/443...

Message 39 of 327
cbenner

Message 40 of 327
dbroad
in reply to: cbenner

I'm sorry to see it go as well.  It was a good tool to review student work with.  Unfortunately, I could never talk my clients into actually using it.  They prefer to print out my dwfs, mark them up, scan them and send them back.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report