Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Design Review discontinued?

326 REPLIES 326
Message 1 of 327
FT398
32085 Views, 326 Replies

Is Design Review discontinued?

So all the 2014 products are out now but Design Review 2014 is conspicuous in its absence. It isn't available for download (still only 2013 available) and it hasn't been included in any of the other product installers where it always has been in the past.

Have I missed something or is this the end of the road?

326 REPLIES 326
Message 121 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: dvsmiller9

We certainly recognize that some customers have security issues with the cloud. For example, some customers working on the latest movies don't own the rights to the imagery they create and are not allowed to let it leave their premises. Once we get the public cloud solution fully developed, there will come a day when we support private clouds. Imagine the days of the mainframe where the PC comes along and current mainframe users said they would never go to PCs because copies of the data were all over the place outside the walls of the large raised-floor air conditioned room. So until that time, Autodesk Design Review will be available for download. Given that the Vault integration relies on it, it is likely that the Vault team will maintain Autodesk Design Review so it continues to meet their needs.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (1)
Message 122 of 327
MedaKaja
in reply to: jggerth1

Shame. Explanation is very shame.

Message 123 of 327
pendean
in reply to: FT398

@scottsh115: Last Scheduled Downtime for Autodesk Freewheel on January 18 http://t.co/gZ3tPZbB9M
Message 124 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: pendean

Autodesk Freewheel will be shut down on January 31, 2014. Users can graduate to Autodesk 360. The APIs are different, so site changes are required. Though there will be no new releases of Autodesk Design Review and Autodesk Freewheel is being shut down, based on its usefulness as part of Autodesk 360, the DWF format lives on! Autodesk applications continue to output DWF files and solutions like Autodesk Vault and Autodesk 360 continue to leverage them.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 125 of 327

Autodesk 360 does not provide a solution for users who do not have access to it!

Is Autodesk abandoning anyone who does not have access to the internet or their company IT policy restricts them from using Cloud based products?

I am also concerned about future licensing issues with 360, but that is another matter entirely.

Todd S.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, retain, or copy this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this email in error please delete and notify the sender.
Message 126 of 327
bryanmeier
in reply to: scott.sheppard

This is just one more reason why my company is looking at other CAD software companies/vendors. We want a company that doesn't abandon good technology before it's complete. Design Review is far from having all the features it needs. I can't say anything about Freewheel as we never used it. The point is when something is good and can be made better, why abandone it and start over with technology that most customer don't care for and lacks many or most of the features the current software has? I know you (Autodesk) say you're not abandoning it but the fact is that you are. As soon as you say you are no longer going to develop a product, you are abandoning the product.

Message 127 of 327
neilyj666

Autodesk have invested heavily into cloud based software which I must say fills me with horror. Many users in the forums don't seem to want or need cloud solutions so I suppose you pay your money and make your choice.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 128 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: neilyj666

In 1994 our Microsoft DOS users indicated that they did not want Microsoft Windows. In hindsight it turns out that moving to Windows was the right move for everyone. Internet connectivity is not yet ubiquitous, so we may be a little ahead of the curve, but eventually it will get there. When it does, we will see that this is the right move for everyone. Until that time, we continue to offer desktop applications, bundled into suites, augmented with cloud-based services -- particularly in the areas of analysis, simulation, and collaboration.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 129 of 327
neilyj666

Until internet connectivity becomes as reliable (and as cheap) as my hard drive then I can't see me moving to the cloud anytime soon - it may be a truimph of marketing puff rather than what people actually want, for example, in the Civil 3D forum, users just want the software to work without bugs and continual crashes.

I would say however that I have used the Autodesk 360 functionality to upload a drawing for a site visit and use the geolocation feature as I went around the site which was reasonably successful although this depended on a phone signal. In areas where there is no signal then I couldn't access 360 and couldn't download the dwg to my phone to use offline so all the marketing puff counted for nought....Smiley Frustrated

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 130 of 327

Has Autodesk accounted for what Net Neutrality will do for the Cloud?

When ISP start charging us tiered prices for access, we will need to limit the amount of time we spend on the internet or pay a premium. Again placing further financial burden on your user.

And I am still not sure that Window was the way to go, it was just Microsoft's answer to Apple. And now look what they have done to Windows!

Todd S.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, retain, or copy this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this email in error please delete and notify the sender.
Message 131 of 327
jggerth1

Really, before anyone doing professinal work can seriously think about using cloud services provided by or through Autodesk, there will have to be a substantial and total dedication to security on the part of the vendor.  considering that I just got this alert, it seems that that day is along way off.

Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.

Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?

Autodesk !! THAT'S NOT THE WAY TO BUILD CONFIDENCE IN YOUR OFFERINGS!!!  sending my account information unencrypted?  That's pretty poor practice for this day and age.

Message 132 of 327
scott.sheppard

I agree that https should be used for all transmissions.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 133 of 327
jsmith

I wonder what the chances are that they will allow the cloud storage system used to be self hosted?  Just make the cloud storage location adjustable in the settings.  Seems like it would solve a lot of peoples security concerns if it was all under their control.  I have been tinkering with MyCloud which is running and managed on an internal server within our system.

Message 134 of 327
scott.sheppard

jsmith:

Some Autodesk solutions do allow files to be stored in places like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. Though this has its advantages, from a security perspective, the data still has to leave the confines of where you have it and make its way to our servers for processing. That's why use of the https security protocol is an essential ingredient of cloud solutions.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 135 of 327
jggerth1

If you're still saying "_should_ use https" instead of "_are_ using" halfway through the second decade of the 21st century, maybe you should hire me as a contract curmudgeon. It seems that you guys need some one who asks WTF and Why?!? when executives and program managers are chasing the latest shiny trend and going SQUIRREL!!!. I'm sure we could come to terms for less than 7 figures. And heck, if you can end up with something that I'll agree is secure, robust, reliable, usable, and actually beneficial to your paying customers, then you'll have a winner.
Message 136 of 327
Fori123
in reply to: pendean

is there a link anywhere for an install of design review 2015?

Tags (1)
Message 137 of 327
FT398

Seriously? Have you read any of the previous pages and pages of discussion in this thread?
Message 138 of 327
rkmcswain
in reply to: Fori123

Fori123 wrote:

is there a link anywhere for an install of design review 2015?

No, there is no ADR 2015.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 139 of 327
warrentdo

Sorry for adding to a seriously long old post.

We currently work on certain projects that require a restricted stand alone network.

So that would mean NO Internet, NO mail, NO links outside of that room.

Just our machines and our servers sat in a large air conditioned office.

Would public/pritave cloud data leave the building?

If it doesn't we already have a solutions, it involves servers and desktops machines sat in a large air conditioned office.

Regards,

Warren.

Message 140 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: warrentdo

Understood. Until our cloud-based solution offers an offline mode, please continue to use Autodesk Design Review.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report