Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing ADR 2011 in Windows 7

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
australopithecus
5056 Views, 15 Replies

Installing ADR 2011 in Windows 7

Hi!

I can't seem to install ADR 2011 in Windows 7 at all. The problem arises from the installation package trying to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 - since these are not compatible with Windows 7.

I have, in fact, installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 & .NET 4 the only versions compatible with Windows 7, but the ADR 2011 installation still complains about the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 and stops installing....

Please help 🙂

Many thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Liust
in reply to: australopithecus

Thank you for your question.

ADR 2011 needs the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 to support installing.

Please go to this website and install the ADR 2011, that will install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 automatically:

http://www.autodesk.com/designreview-download

If still have the problem, please manual install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1  from Microsoft website:

• Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) available from Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2051a0c1-c9b5-4b0a-a8f5-770a...
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 available from Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displa...
  •  

-Sting

ADR/DWF Customer Support

-Sting
    SQA Engineer
    PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
    Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 16

Hi!

No success - we've "cleaned the PC off any Microsoft Visual C++ and .NET and then tried first to install the said ADR installation package that tries to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 - this installation fails with a general message of "Visual Studio 2008 SP1 C++ runtime 0x0: Internal error"

The verbose version of this seems to be:

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.ATL,version="9.0.30729.4148",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x800736FD. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {A75F2217-AD54-3EA6-AE14-F255F8660531}

Also tried to separately install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 - for the Microsoft VIsual C++ 2008 the installation fails with the same message as above. When trying to instal the .net 3.5 ATL PS1 - nothing happens, installation does not start, nor do I have any error messages.

Our virus software (McAfee) was disabled during attempted installation and and all installations were run as administrator.

For reference: installation of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 and .NET 4 is succesful on the Windows 7 PC - no problems occur, but as initially mentioned, when subsequently trying to install ADR 2011, the installation complains about missing Microsoft Visual 2008 C++ SP1 & .NET 35 SP1. I would have thought that the newer versions of the said packages would have been accumulative, and therefore the versions 4 and 2010 would have contained the functionality of 2008 and 3.5 - respectively. Please comment.

Many thanks!

Message 4 of 16
    Liust

Hi,

Please uninstall the VC++ 2010 and .Net 4, and use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to clean system. 

* Windows Installer CleanUp Utility hosted by Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Then if you still cannot install the VC++ 2008 SP1 by its alone installation, please contact with the Microsoft support team.

Thanks

-Sting
    SQA Engineer
    PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
    Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 16
    alex_long
    in reply to: Liust

Microsoft has removed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility if you read the article you linked us to...

I too have had immense difficulty when trying to install ADR 2011 on ANY Win7 system, be it 32-bit or 64-bit. The install just hangs. I have read the installation guide & I went to Microsofts website to download/install all the components ADR 2011 needs then tried to install ADR 2011 again but to no avail. I then downloaded TrueView 2011 & ADR 2011 to my local machine & tried to install them seperately, still doesn't work. TrueView installs fine, but then it hangs when attempting to install ADR 2011. I've tried downloading ADR 2011 & toggling on to install them together, still doesn't work. The install guide mentions a "bootstrap" installer, but the link it gives takes us back to the ADR 2011 download page where you have to toggle on to install TrueView or the firefox add-on.

This has gotten extremely annoying! Instead of posting what the users need to do on their end, take responsibility for your products and fix it on your end. It's apparently an issue for many & i have yet to read anyone from Autodesk take any ownership & say they'll look in to it or fix it. This should be an a simple process for the users & it never fails w/ Autodesk that it is never simple & straight forward.

I have spent 2 days trying to install this program & to me that is unacceptable...I am trying to implement ADR 2011 into the company design/review process & this is proving to be very difficult.

Thank you for your time & consideration in this matter,

Alex

Message 6 of 16

I would agree with this!

I have followed the instructions I was given here and last week this lead to my PC having to be completely rebuilt - there must be something about the ADR 2011 and Trueview 2011 that should be changed for Win 7 - surely - you can't really state that the package as it is presently is Win 7 compatible!

It must be something to do with .NET and Windows 7  - and it's all linked with Win 7 user profiles and user restrictions - although all comparable products have installed without a hitch (unlike ADR & Trueview 2011) - which leads me to the conclusion that there is a SPECIFIC clash with the Autodesk products and Win 7.

I've had to revert to the comparable Microstation product (Bentley View) which seems to work without hitch on Win7 - I would very much like to use Trueview and ADR 2011, but I can't afford to crash my PC again!!

Message 7 of 16
    alex_long
    in reply to: alex_long

Here it is 3 weeks later after our posts and NO ONE from Autodesk has replied or offered any assistance!! I still cannot install ADR 2011 on any machine from the design review download page.

Where's "liust" the supposed ADR expert??

Message 8 of 16
    Liust

Hi,

I am sorry to delay the reply.

I try my best to reproduce your issue, but failed on any Win 7 systems.

Besides the hang issue during installing ADR 2011, is there any other message?

If you do not mind, please follow the steps below to help me debug this issue.

2. Select Start\Run, enter the command below to install the ADR 2011 with the msi and a log file will be generated.
    msiexec /i [the location of the msi file] /l*v [the path of the log file]

For example, if you saved the ADR 2011 msi in C:\ADR, and you want to create the log file as C:\ADR\installadr.log, the command should be
    msiexec /i "C:\ADR\SetupDesignReview2011.msi" /l*v "C:\ADR\installadr.log"

3. Please attach the log file into this thread to help me debug this issue.

-Sting
    SQA Engineer
    PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
    Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 16
    alex_long

I followed your steps & ADR 2011 installed, no problems. Thank you!

I can still atttach the log file, but since it installed do you need it?

Something must be awry w/ the bootstrap installer on this page: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=12423405 

Alex

Message 10 of 16
    phoulx

Thanks!  I finally have this installed now.  I had tried the other installer and confirmed all the additional C++ & .NET a number of times and it always stalled out.  This was pretty much instant.

There is also a Firefox Add-On available at http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2010/03/firefox-addon-for-autodesk-design-review-2011-now... if you're still troubled.

Message 11 of 16
    Liust

Thank you for your feedback.

Glad to hear that you can install ADR 2011 successfully finally.

It will be very helpful for our investigation if you can attach the log file.

-Sting
    SQA Engineer
    PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
    Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 16

HI!

As soon as I can have Win 7 back up and running i will give this a go (which maybe a couple of weeks yet) currently reverted back to XP.

Cheers!

Message 13 of 16
    alex_long

I have not had a chance to attach the log file since my previous posts, but i am now in the process of having to install ADR 2011 on multiple machines at our office and I still cannot simply download & install it via its download page

I can install TrueView 2011 from it's download page no problems. How is the ADR download not fixed yet??

Message 14 of 16
    Liust

Thank you for your feedback.

Please try to download the Bundle EXE or MSI to install.

Please let us know if this suggestion worked for you.

-Sting
    SQA Engineer
    PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
    Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 16
    australopithecus

Hi!

Just an update - I have now successfully installed ADR 2011 & TrueView 2011 on Win 7 (1 PC)

following the 4th August instructions - thanks.

Message 16 of 16

Hi,

Unregistered Windows Installer, and then re register Windows Installer.

Method 1:

To do this, follow these steps:

• On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.

• In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

• On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

• In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Method 2:

1. Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed product.

2. Click here: http://www.windows-installer-cleanup-utility.com/

3. Read the article and download necessary tools.

Now Empty user and system "temp" folders. here are steps to do so:

• Empty "%systemdrive% emp" folder.

• Empty "%systemdrive%%windir% emp" folder.

• Empty "%systemdrive%Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsTemp".

• Or use Windows Repair Utility Tool to do the job for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report