Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import problems

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
omouland
2684 Views, 8 Replies

Import problems

Dear All,

I have had many issues with trying to open DWG’s with Design Review. I have Trueview installed to enable the opening of DWG’s within Design Review.  

1. Previously I had Trueview and Design Review 2012 installed and I used AutoCAD 2012 to create CAD drawings. Initially I managed to open the DWG files using Design Review for about 2 weeks, but then it decided to throw up the message “DWG Import Failed” and would no longer open any DWG files.

1. Recently I got Trueview and Design Review 2013 installed to try and rectify these issues, but I now get the warning “Please install the latest version of AutoCAD to open these files”.

Has anyone got any advice? Do I really need to upgrade to AutoCAD 2013 to open these files in Design Review 2013?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: omouland

You have AutoCAD: why open DWG files in ADR?

ADR is for DWF files.

Message 3 of 9
omouland
in reply to: pendean

It's not for me, it's for user without AutoCAD.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Are the DWG files from programs like REVIT? or AutoCAD verticals like Civil3D?

Can you open these DWG files in AutoCAD?

Is the problem with ALL dwg files, or just one or a group of DWG files from a project? Can you share one such file (delete any sensitive info first)?

Message 5 of 9
omouland

Hi,

Some of the files have been created in AutoCAD Architecture 2008 but now edited with AutoCAD 2012 and LT.

I have been opening the same files initially with Design Review 2011 to ensure consistency, but strangely it opened the files for about 2 weeks but then decided to throw up the DWG import problem warning. This happened on 3 separate computers all trying to open the same files with DR 2011.  I tried this again with DR 2013 and it just either crashes or throws up a similar warning about DWG import.

It would be easy to track down if it only opened certain files, but both versions of DR seem to open files intermittently for a while then decided to stop altogether!

I'm lost.

Can't really send you files, sorry.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

You answered my question I suspect: ACA2008 has AEC content, if you don't need them anymore (they got upgraded to newer formats in 2011/2012 so you can't ever edit them in 2008) you can use -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command in AutoCAD (there is a dash in the name) to get rid of these. I recommend you aim for a 2007 format in that command.

Message 7 of 9
dwain411

OK, so I have had this issue with Design Review 2013 and Trueview 2013 with Map 3D 2012 all installed on various Windows OS.

I could open DWG files as long as Map 3D 2012 was not open as well. The Error "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF AutoCad..." and could not find a solution. After messing with this issue for several days and trying out many different ways to get it to work properly, I found a check box in Options under the View DWG Tab, "USE TRUEVIEW TO OPEN DWG FILES".

This allows you to open DWG in Design Review while the older version of Autocad is running. I have searched many places and have ran many different tests tiring to get this to work.

This is a simple fix and this is why I am posting it here. I hope this helps all those that are struggling with Design Review and DWG options.

Thank you

MBA
Civil Designer
Message 8 of 9
omouland
in reply to: dwain411

Hello, Thanks for posting this, really useful.Smiley Happy I will give it a go. I am amazed how difficult it has been to Design Review to work. I think part of our problem is different computer builds and operating systems, but Design Review has been a constant pain for me over the past year. I would love to roll it out fully in our company as it is a really useful tool for designers to mark up and keep track of revisions, but not with the current instability.

Message 9 of 9
Kerim95

Hello, i can't import object in Maya from Zbrush, i tried using different formats suck as OBJ and, when i click on Import and choose an Object when oppening it just says Maya It says

"# Error: file: E:/Apps/Autodesk Maya 2013/Maya2013/scripts/others/fromNativePath.mel line 90: (unicode error) 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 9-13: ordinal not in range(128)"

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums