Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image not visible in dwfx file

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
ampster402
4722 Views, 12 Replies

image not visible in dwfx file

Design Review 2013 used to view dwfx exported out of Inventor 2011 part file with jpg image inserted into sketch.

Does Design Review have the capability of showing images inserted into sketches of Inventor part files?

I see it has the ability to open multiple image file formats, but find it odd it won't display images within part files.

The search function of this forum, as usual isn't very productive.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: ampster402

tried this with AutoCAD 2011 also.  Inserted jpg file into dwg and exported out as dwfx.

Only the image border shows up in Design Review 2013.

Message 3 of 13
pendean

Your are describing an output problem (the programs are not creating the image), as opposed to a viewing problem.

Message 4 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: pendean

to tell you the truth Dean, I don't know if it's AutoCAD/Inventor's problem (output) or if it's a limitation of Design Review to "see" or show image files placed into dwg/ipt files that are exported out to dwfx!

What little search results I get from searching the forum here, I get the impression that Design Review should be showing image files that are placed into dwg files and then exported out to dwf/dwfx files.

I've tried jpg files in both Acad dwg and Inv. ipt files as well as bmp files in ipt files.  I'll go test a bmp in a dwg and see what happens.

Message 5 of 13
ampster402

bmp's don't show up either.

simple workflow but here it is

1.  Start new dwg file from acad.dwt template in Acad 2011.  Saved as Drawing2.dwg

2.  Insert > Raster Image Reference > browse to and select "yosemite_sam2.bmp" image file

3.  Save dwg file.

4.  File > Export > Files of Type set to "3D DWFx" and save as Drawing2.dwfx

Open the dwfx file in Design Review 2013 and all I see is the image border.

Yesterday I did use the ""Bring to Front" and "Bring Above Objects" commands in Acad attempting to adjust the draw order - although with nothing else in the file I didn't expect these commands to have any effect and they didn't.

I get the impression that "something" needs to be done to the image file in either Acad or Inventor in order for Design Review to actually be able to display the image file.

I can attach the files used if needed, but there's nothing complicated or different about them (jpg, bmp, dwg, ipt & dwxf).

Am I wasting my time attempting to get this to work?

Message 6 of 13
pendean

Post an image and I can try it here with AutoCAD.

Message 7 of 13
ampster402

jpg and bmp

If you couldn't tell, ultimately this will be used for a mudflap on the single wheel trailer I made last winter.

I've already created the model in Inventor and have the image inserted into that part file.  I'd just like the dwfx files to show the image. 

Thanks for testing this in Acad Dean.

Message 8 of 13
pendean

AutoCAD would not attach your JPG but the BMP worked, and I added one of my own. Test and review.

Message 9 of 13
ampster402

Thanks again for testing!

Both the dwf and dwxf you supplied display both images files.

I opened the dwg you created, apparently in Civil3D going by the proxy notices I received.  The yosemite sam bmp displays (apparently wasn't linked to the dwg) but the Texas image did not display (linked I assume and would need to be sent with the dwg - no problem).

Now when I attempt to export out of the dwg you supplied Dean, the dwf file it created does not display the yosemite sam image, but does display the two image boundaries?!?!

What did you do different?

To recap, I'm using plain AutoCAD 2011 and viewing the dwf/dwfx files in Design Review 2013.

Message 10 of 13
pendean

Plain AutoCAD 2012 here, nothing special, used the REF palette to attach the images then simply used PLOT to the default PC3 files for DWF and DWFx.

Don't have access to Civil3D here.

Message 11 of 13
ampster402

That's what is different!  You plotted to dwfx and I exported to dwfx.

Using the DWFx ePlot.pc3 printer config provides a dwfx that Design Review is able to display the image file.

Only problem with Inventor is there appears to be no equvalant to the printer config file that Acad uses to create dwfx files.

Thanks for your help Dean, it got me on the right path anyway.

Message 12 of 13
pendean

Export is to keep 3D intact I believe (flat 2D images disappear in 3D usually): that may be it. Good catch.

Message 13 of 13
ampster402

Just noticed today that the image files used by Inventor to display threads are visible in dwfx files.

Instead of modeling real 3D threads which would take up alot of system resources to display and/or calculate their geometry, Inventor applies an image which looks like threads.

So apparently flat images won't work but images applied to curved surfaces do?!?!?

Something doesn't jive here!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report