Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had success running Design Review on a Windows 8 tablet?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
benrush
2237 Views, 8 Replies

Has anyone had success running Design Review on a Windows 8 tablet?

Hi All-

I'm attempting to run Design Review 2013 on a Windows 8 tablet. It seems to install fine, but it invariably locks up within a couple minutes. Touching the palettes will lock it up even more quickly. Once locked up, all I can do is go to task manager and end the process.

I understand that Design Review isn't officially supported on Windows 8, but doesn't Microsoft claim that anything that runs on 7 will work on 8?

I've tried various compatibility settings without any change.

I saw some posts describing what seems like a similar problem with tablets (although not running Windows 😎 that said the fix was to disable hardware acceleration. I tried this too- with no improvement.

Is anyone successfully using Design Review on a Windows 8 tablet? Can you tell me how? 

Is Autodesk aware of this- and planning a fix soon?

-or should I go back to Windows 7? (What if it's a tablet problem- not an OS problem- and it still doesn't work?)

Someone recommended that I create a "virtual machine" running Windows 7. If anyone has any opinions on that, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for reading,

Ben

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: benrush

>>>.I understand that Design Review isn't officially supported on Windows 8...<<<

The software maker says hold-on, why doubt them?

>>>...doesn't Microsoft claim that anything that runs on 7 will work on 8?...<<<

Not the software maker, but an OS creator trying to drum up business for a possible dud.

>>>...Someone recommended that I create a "virtual machine" running Windows...<<<

Seems most logical given that your hardware is probably in tune more with Win8 rather than Win7 and an OS downgrade may not be the best option.

Message 3 of 9
benrush
in reply to: pendean

Hi pendean, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn't realize Autodesk had said anything as to when Design Review will be supported on Windows 8. What did they say? Ben
Message 4 of 9
ampster402

per the handy link shown on the main page of the forums here;

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19048377&linkID=9240617

Message 5 of 9
benrush
in reply to: ampster402

Hi ampster, Thanks. I had seen that. It seems like a general expression of intent to support Win 8. Have you seen anything more specific re DR? -or a date? I'm considering a return to Win 7, but I'll wait if it won't be too long. Ben
Message 6 of 9
pendean

You may have assumed too much lightness to a factual document: if it does not specifically list ADR2013 under the clearly stated sentence that follows, then it is not currently supported.

"The Autodesk products listed below have been tested and are confirmed as working correctly on Microsoft Windows 8 operating system..."

And the following sentence is most important:

"Note: This technical solution will be updated as new Windows 8 compatibility information becomes available."

There is also currently no stated schedule for compliance: it may happen tomorrow, it may be this spring or summer. Hope this helps a little.

Message 7 of 9
ampster402
in reply to: pendean

I'd expect the 2014 versions to be compatiable with Win8 since that version will be the first one released since Win8 hit the scene.

Message 8 of 9
stcunning

I've found a partial solution is to go into options and unckeck all the "automatic palette launching windows" and immediately closing all palettes on the left and panels on the right side of the screen.  I've got it running fairly consistently for drawing markups on a samsung Ativ 500T.

Message 9 of 9
benrush
in reply to: stcunning

stcunning,

Thank you so much. I'll try that.

If anyone has other suggestions- or any predictions as to when DR will be supported in Windows 8- please chime in.

benrush

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report