Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG viewer hijacks drawings.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
184 Views, 5 Replies

DWG viewer hijacks drawings.

Am I the only one with DWG Viewer that hates the fact that if you open a drawing with it, from then on, ALL drawings you dbl-click will open in DWG Viewer? It hijacks the file associations away from Autocad. The ONLY time I want DWG Viewer to open a drawing is when I right-click and select DWG Viewer from the Open with or Send to menus.

Jerry
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This is not my favorite either. If you do an "Open with..." and then pick AutoCAD, the next time you double-click a DWG, it will open with AutoCAD. "lsaapedd" wrote in message news:11701047.1110475320679.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Am I the only one with DWG Viewer that hates the fact that if you open a > drawing with it, from then on, ALL drawings you dbl-click will open in DWG > Viewer? It hijacks the file associations away from Autocad. The ONLY > time I want DWG Viewer to open a drawing is when I right-click and select > DWG Viewer from the Open with or Send to menus. > > Jerry
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I know Autocad will grab the associations back the next time you open a drawing with it, I just think it is idiotic that ANY version of Autodesk software does that. It's stupid. There CAN'T have been a valid reason to design software that way to begin with.

Jerry
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Autodesk feels that DWG is its proprietary format. SO we think the association should be associated with our software. Most users want AutoCAD when they double click a DWG. We have an example here of just how much they want it - this user doesn't even want another Autodesk product to take it away. With this is mind, AutoCAD grabs the DWG association back every chance it gets. With 6 million users out there, many of whom have no interest in learning how to configure a file extension to a particular application, Autodesk is doing them a favor. The odd thing is that this user, and I did this too, installed the DWG Viewer on my system even though I already had a genuine copy of AutoCAD 2005 on my system. It will happen somewhat, but it is not the normal 80% use case. I agree that the DWG Viewer should not grab the association. The problem is that the DWG Viewer is a copy of AutoCAD OEM, and as a copy of AutoCAD, it is doing the AutoCAD thing. "lsaapedd" wrote in message news:20728338.1110495621712.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I know Autocad will grab the associations back the next time you open a >drawing with it, I just think it is idiotic that ANY version of Autodesk >software does that. It's stupid. There CAN'T have been a valid reason to >design software that way to begin with. > > Jerry
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Reply From: Scott Sheppard - Autodesk
Date: Mar/10/05 - 17:53 (CST)

Re: DWG viewer hijacks drawings.
Autodesk feels that DWG is its proprietary format. SO we think the
association should be associated with our software. Most users want AutoCAD
when they double click a DWG. We have an example here of just how much they
want it - this user doesn't even want another Autodesk product to take it
away. With this is mind, AutoCAD grabs the DWG association back every chance
it gets. With 6 million users out there, many of whom have no interest in
learning how to configure a file extension to a particular application,
Autodesk is doing them a favor. The odd thing is that this user, and I did
this too, installed the DWG Viewer on my system even though I already had a
genuine copy of AutoCAD 2005 on my system. It will happen somewhat, but it
is not the normal 80% use case. I agree that the DWG Viewer should not grab
the association. The problem is that the DWG Viewer is a copy of AutoCAD
OEM, and as a copy of AutoCAD, it is doing the AutoCAD thing.

I put DWG Viewer on my system because it loads MANY times faster than Mechanical 2005. I don't JUST do drafting, so I don't keep M2k5 open all the time. As a result, if I want to look at a drawing, I want a FASTER way of doing it than using full-blown Autocad. Vanilla Autocad might be faster, but I don't even have a working profile set up for it. I use M2k5 exclusively. What I would like to see is for DWG Viewer quit hijacking the file associations, and an object enabler for M2k5 released.

Jerry
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

You'll get no argument from me. "lsaapedd" wrote in message news:3577673.1111090830636.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I put DWG Viewer on my system because it loads MANY times faster than > Mechanical 2005. I don't JUST do drafting, so I don't keep M2k5 open all > the time. As a result, if I want to look at a drawing, I want a FASTER > way of doing it than using full-blown Autocad. Vanilla Autocad might be > faster, but I don't even have a working profile set up for it. I use M2k5 > exclusively. What I would like to see is for DWG Viewer quit hijacking > the file associations, and an object enabler for M2k5 released. > > Jerry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report