Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review will not open

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Ed Sallade
1199 Views, 15 Replies

Design Review will not open

Hello,
I have downloaded Design review 29008 and it will not open.
All I get is the windows box for the program.
I have Win 2000, ADT 2007.
is there a fix for this?
Thanks,
Ed
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
leightongroup
in reply to: Ed Sallade

I was about to post that I am having the same problem, but that it does eventually open, about 4 minutes after opening the program. I have experienced this on 2 different computers so far, each with a different set of applications installed before DR. I have tried uninstalling the program, restarting and then installing again. I have downloaded the setup program again and reinstalled. These 2 machines behave the same regardless of what I do. I have successfully installed Design Review using the same setup files on 3 other computers, but that is the limit of my sample. I was hoping to push this out to many more computers, but this is holding up that deployment for now.

Also once DR does open, when I try to open any DWF file it starts to load the file and I can see the preview in the upper left, and a progress bar fills up in the main window, but the drawing will not display and the program hangs. For how long, I do not really know, I stopped counting after 20 minutes.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Hi,

I'd like to try and help diagnose what's happening on each of your systems. Can each of you please e-mail me the following information about your system(s):

>> Operating System (incl Service Pack)
>> Version of Internet Explorer installed
>> Any other Autodesk applications installed

Also, if you can send me a small sample file that fails to open for you, that would help as well.

Thanks!

Scott Lillibridge, QA Manager
Extended Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.
Scott.Lillibridge@autodesk.com
Message 4 of 16
leightongroup

Still experiencing this problem with more comptuers. Was put on the spot to show DR during a presentation and had to install it only to have it do the same thing on the presentation laptop. I did send the infomration requested. Is there any fix or update available?
Message 5 of 16
mattrogers13

I was about to report the same problem. I have DR 2008 loaded on an IBM 2GHz ThinkPad with 512MB RAM, IEv6. Windows XP Pro. When I launch DR the Windows Task manager shows it as Not Responding. After about 5 minutes, DR wakes up and lauches and changes state to Running in Task Manager.
Message 6 of 16
Ed Sallade

Hi,
Leighton is correct it does finally open after 4-5 Min.
I was ending task as well before it finally started from a non responding entry.

The following information about my system.

>> Operating System (incl Service Pack)
Wiin 2000 Pro SP 4
>> Version of Internet Explorer installed
IE Ver. 6
>> Any other Autodesk applications installed
Autocad 14,2002,2005, 2005 Express tools 1-9, DWG Trueview 2007, & ADT 2007.

Thanks for your help with this,
Ed
Message 7 of 16
leightongroup

I continue to have this problem on several worstations that I have tried to install DR on. Out of 12 computers, only 2 do not experience this problem. Most of these workstations had some combination of DWF Viewer 6/6.5/7, VoloView, and/or DWGTrueView 2/2007 installed at some point. I removed those programs before installing Design Review, but haven't found a specific combination of previously installed AutoDesk products that always causes it or prevents this condition from occurring.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Hello @ all!

The problem ist NOT the PC! The problem is the internet connection (or the firewall). In our Company all (25) PC's does have the Problem that DesignReview starts after 4-5mins.

You can fix it like this:
Start -> Run -> "regedit" -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Autodesk -> Design Review -> Settings -> AutoUpdate -> Now edit the Variable "NextCheckDate" from for example "1176212796" to "2176212796".

The Problem is because DesignReview seems to check for Updates in the web but does not get a answer from a server. The timeout will be after around 4-5mins.

Kind Regards
Recall
Message 9 of 16
leightongroup

Yes I picked that information from another thread in this forum. Autodesk should not have made this the default behavior for this program. Corporate firewalls that require authentication are everywhere. Why assume that no user of this program will work where there is a secure network? Horrible.

There is a workaround posted in the other threads that I confirmed will also fix this where the URL registry key is set to a null value. DR then does not look for updates.
Message 10 of 16
ross.smith

Thank you for that, we just experienced this problem too.

What kind of programming house designs their software to *require* internet connectivity to run?

The whole point of the internet is that it's designed to cope with disconnects. Software hanging for 4-5 minutes because there's no internet connection is unacceptable.

What do they expect laptop users to do?

In all honesty, the more I see of Autodesk software the less I like it. There are some horrendous design decisions being made here.
Message 11 of 16
ross.smith

Indicentally, I'd love to know how Autodesk expect users to update this software.

All our users have standard 'user' access to their computers. The entire Program Files folder is read only to them. Their internet access is also restricted, nobody but IT can download executable or zip files.

I'd be very interested to hear if autodesk have thought of and planned for that.
Message 12 of 16
Ed Sallade

Recall,
You were right on it. I changed the registry value and it fires right up. What is the format of the date code? How long is the difference from one number to the other in your example?
I was wondering when to expect the change in the update time to occur now that it's reset?
I am one of those people behind the corporate firewall that this applies to.
Thanks, I have been preaching that DR would help our dept., and it was not going to look to swift installing on everyone's PC and then not working. You guys have saved me from an embarrassing moment.

Thanks again,
Ed
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

The problem is not that internet connectivity is required to run, it's that
4-5 minutes is too long for a timeout. This defect has been recorded and
will be considered for a future release. In the mean time, we have
documented the work around for disabling the update process.

wrote in message news:5564953@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thank you for that, we just experienced this problem too.

What kind of programming house designs their software to *require* internet
connectivity to run?

The whole point of the internet is that it's designed to cope with
disconnects. Software hanging for 4-5 minutes because there's no internet
connection is unacceptable.

What do they expect laptop users to do?

In all honesty, the more I see of Autodesk software the less I like it.
There are some horrendous design decisions being made here.
Message 14 of 16
chadnmg

I followed your directions as listed and I still can't get DR to open. Just the Windows version on my screen. All I see is File, Tools and Help at the top and with only Open & Exit in the pull down in File. In the screen I get links to Tutorials which do no good since I can't get the program to open fully.

I am trying to view a DWG by importing it and converting it to DWF as i saw in one of the Tutorials i ended up watching.

I am disappointed. I just want to view a CAD file originally in DWG.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

If you have a DWG and want to view it, just download and install Autodesk
DWG TrueView.

wrote in message news:5570562@discussion.autodesk.com...
I followed your directions as listed and I still can't get DR to open. Just
the Windows version on my screen. All I see is File, Tools and Help at the
top and with only Open & Exit in the pull down in File. In the screen I get
links to Tutorials which do no good since I can't get the program to open
fully.

I am trying to view a DWG by importing it and converting it to DWF as i saw
in one of the Tutorials i ended up watching.

I am disappointed. I just want to view a CAD file originally in DWG.
Message 16 of 16
ngraves

I've had success logging in as administrator, installing the design review program. It doesn't hang as it did when I installed it under my regular log-in profile. Apparently on the server side of things, information needed to pass through firewalls and such are ok when installing this way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report