Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review for Ipad & Droid

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
eucci
6116 Views, 40 Replies

Design Review for Ipad & Droid

Autodesk,

Please make Design Review for Ipad and Droid! Increasingly, we have clients who are realizing the potential of having 2D design idw files in combination with 3D models.  These are very usefull for both the factory floor and onsite installations. Design Review is a great tool for anyone who works at a desktop or laptop. However, an app for handheld devices would be tremendously usefull for anyone who is in the field or does not work at a desk who needs to measure parts, assemble parts, or simply visuallize a project. People are becoming increasingly reliant on their handheld devices. This is clearly part of the future of manufacturing in the world. Its becoming embarrassing that we cannot provide our clients with something that is perceived as the obvious "next big thing" in manufacturing.  There are other strings where you can find the same discussion.

Obviously, this must happen sooner or later.  We'd like to see it sooner rather than later.

40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
mmcturk
in reply to: eucci

Count me in for the need for an Android app.

Message 22 of 41
cblocher
in reply to: mmcturk

FYI: Nice Design Review Mobile demo video available on the blog...items of interest to both iOSers and Androiders. http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2011/10/design-review-mobile-app-video-demo-available.html

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Fusion 360 Product Documentation
Message 23 of 41
schmielowiec

Design Review on my PC has an option in 3d view to rotate as turntable. It's kind of difficult to rotate the model with the regular 3d rotate especially when viewing buildings. With turntable the building stays upright. Is that something that will be updated soon hopefully?

Message 24 of 41
cblocher

Hi,

Good question. I've forwarded your question to the appropriate team.

To ensure that the proper folks see your future requests, please enter your specific feedback for either Design Review Mobile or the Autodesk Cloud here: http://feedback.autodesk.com/cloudservices.

Thank you!

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Fusion 360 Product Documentation
Message 25 of 41
casey.russom

I am a piping designer for a large HVAC contractor in Atlanta.  With all the work currently out of town and having to travel 200 miles to solve problems on site.  It would be nice to have the ability to review 3D drawings on site without the need for a cumbersome laptop.  I currently use an ASUS tablet operating with the latest Droid OS.  I find it ironic that for so many years we could not have autodesk software on apple products. Now we can't have probably the most usable app for our industry on a non-apple product.  The pricing of apple products does not make them very appealing to many companies.  The competitive pricing of Droid products combined with the more versatile hardware makes much more sense to buy.  I think software developers need to quit drinking the  apple coolaid and start looking at the value of other products that offer much more in the way of hardware. 

Message 26 of 41
duane.stegall
in reply to: DJMCGEAX

I would love to try out Design Review for the IPAD but I have an android functioning tablet as what the AEC firms around here settledd on.

Any chance we will see the android version soon?

Message 27 of 41
LeonShi
in reply to: duane.stegall

Thank you very much for interest with Autodesk Design Review mobile! We are having Android Beta program available.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/designreview/designreviewmobileandroid/signup.html

Looking forward you trying that out, let us know your valueable feedback via email Feedback–Design Review mobile.

Thanks,

-Leon

Autodesk Design Review Mobile Team

Message 28 of 41
duane.stegall

Leon Thank you. I just signed up to be a beta tester. I used my gmail account for the testind as my tablet can access it.

Duane

Message 29 of 41
tuhin007

Apparently if you saw the Apple iPad 3 that was on display, you would simply walk straight pass it because it resembles the iPad 2. The back of the upcoming tablet looks the same, Jeremy Horwitz who is the iLounge Editor-in-Chief reports that the iPad 3 casing (Body) is 1mm thicker than the iPad 2, the rear camera is slightly larger. If this is all true it looks like we need to step back to the iPhone 4S design change, hold on minute sorry there wasn’t one, the camera was changed like the suggested iPad 3, oh Apple if this is true you really need to go back to the drawing table.

http://www.zerostylus.com/

Message 30 of 41
tuhin007

I was walking through the house with the iPad in my left hand. I had pulled up a website and was heading to sit down, get comfy, and do some online shopping. I was shopping for a new TV stand by the way, which was on sale and in about the same price range as a replacement Apple iPad (which I did not know I might need at the time, of course).

I had the usual 5-finger grip on my beautiful iPad, but when I rounded the corner it slid right off my hand like I was holding a wet eel with baby oil on my palm. It did a flip mid-air, landed on it’s glass face, and shattered – with tiny shards of glass flying everywhere.

Message 31 of 41
tuhin007

I was walking through the house with the iPad in my left hand. I had pulled up a website and was heading to sit down, get comfy, and do some online shopping. I was shopping for a new TV stand by the way, which was on sale and in about the same price range as a replacement Apple iPad (which I did not know I might need at the time, of course).

I had the usual 5-finger grip on my beautiful iPad, but when I rounded the corner it slid right off my hand like I was holding a wet eel with baby oil on my palm. It did a flip mid-air, landed on it’s glass face, and shattered – with tiny shards of glass flying everywhere.

Message 32 of 41
CHTRJames

What I'm looking for is a mobile app for Android that can open DWF and DWG files - support mark up on DWFs (and Gs if possible)

NO uploads to server - these need to be local if possible, this is information that cannot be shared outside of my organization.

The files are system maps denoting cable and fiberlayouts for large communications networks.

Message 33 of 41

We are evaluating WS on the Samsung 10.1 Tablet now.

After years of trying to get my users to buy-in on the whole DWF and D/R thing it is finally taking hold. The mark-up and tracking of corrections tools for D/R make it a shame to think WS might be Autodesk's answer for tablets. We need these tools and the portability of tablets changes the face of the game.

WebGL is going to change the face of everything about drafting on-line too, but since the system is in place in CAD now for DWFs, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater

Message 34 of 41
lfried
in reply to: tuhin007
Message 35 of 41
lfried
in reply to: tuhin007

It's amusing that each time I've quizzed Autodesk about the release of Design Review for Android, I've been told "it'll happen when it happens" then within a day or two something significant happens. Coincidence? I doubt it.

It's available on the market now, btw.

Message 36 of 41
djohnson1976

I'm not seeing this app in the app store.  This would be a VERY useful thing to develop.  Our shop inspectors and field commisioners could benefit tremendously from the ability to view a 3D dwf of our models on site.

Message 37 of 41
lfried
in reply to: djohnson1976

They pulled it, in favor of Autodesk 360 which sucks.

Message 38 of 41
loftconversions
in reply to: lfried

I'd like to know autocad updates in iphone and android.

Message 39 of 41
dbilich

My company is using iPhones/Androids and we need the ability to view DWF files on our internal web site using Design Review.

Message 40 of 41
pendean
in reply to: dbilich

This is all that Autodesk offers http://www.autodesk.com/viewers/dwf

Other software vendors offer solutions too: I like TurboViewer on my iOS devices for example as a catch-all cad file format viewer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report