Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create custom stamp

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
mies07
22787 Views, 19 Replies

create custom stamp

How to do this? I am trying to tout Design Review to designers who use only Macs, but have a spare PC that they are willing to devote to markups., The main thing they need to use to mark up a DWF is a stamp saying "Approved" or "Revise and Resubmit" with their logo and and standard checkboxes- something that could begin as a rasrter image,. There must be an easy way for them to crete a stamp without delving into the world of catalogues, etc. or they will never use it The help fille is useless.
Please help.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
SilviaCao
in reply to: mies07

Thank you for your question.

You can create a custom symbol/stamp by the following steps.

1. Open Autodesk Design Review (ADR).

2. Prepare the image file which will be created as custom symbol.

3. Drag the image file into the ADR; then click Save As button to save the image file as a DWF file.

4. Add the DWF file as the custom symbol by following the help file.

Please reply back if you have any further questions.

Silvia
ADR/DWF Customer Support

Silvia Cao
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 20
mies07

Thank you Siliva for puttng me on the right track.
You can also create catalogues that have multiple symbols in one shot by placing all symbols, seals, stamps, etc. as blocks in an Autocad dwg and publishing to dwf w/ block template created via publish options. Then when creating symbol catalogue, use the "Import each object on sheets as a symbol" option. This can be a little squirrely as you have to be very careful about what block properties you import - especially the "name" property because if you don't you will not be able to tell DR to use block names as symbol names and all symbols will have same name assigned with an incremented suffix (Symbol1, Symbol2, etc) Also there are issues with memory images being confused if both DR and ACAD are open at the same time (you may think you're creating a new dwf or block template file, but info in memory says file exists and overwrite does not occur, etc.)
However, as mentioned in other posts, what is really needed are custom STAMPS, not symbols. As stamps are editiable, we could include things like dates and checks in checkboxes, etc (possibly via use of fields in stamp definition?) I'm thinking more about "Revise and Resubmit" "Approved as Noted" type stamps where firm logo and the approval options are all inculded in one stamp and the reviewer just checks off appropriate checkbox and fills in a date.
Thanks,
Mike
Message 4 of 20
derekanderson

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?  We would like to create custom stamps as well.  Custom stamps that have boxes that can be checked or unchecked, maybe a date field and name field.  We would use these stamps as approval stamps for reviewing shop drawings.

Message 5 of 20
cblocher
in reply to: derekanderson

Hi,

Dynamic stamps has been noted on the product wishlist.

For Autodesk Design Review 2011, here's a video showing how to create custom symbols: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1hulhdyYSg

Although this isn't the editable stamp you're looking for in Design Review, Autodesk Design Review 2012, available for download now, allows you to paste copied images directly on to a 2D sheet.

One workaround is to setup a PowerPoint slide creating "stamps" with the desired formatting and insert the Date & Time object (set the object to update automatically in PowerPoint). Then, as you need to markup designs, open the PowerPoint slide and copy the PowerPoint object and paste them into the 2D sheet being reviewed. You can see this done quickly in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeCLcyWB75w

Hope it helps,

C.

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Fusion 360 Product Documentation
Message 6 of 20
jfertig34
in reply to: cblocher

Considering that it's been a year, has there been any progress on creating dynamic stamps in DR2013?  I've been poking around the new version and don't see anything new in that regard.

This should be really easy to implement, and if Autodesk is hoping that people will use DR to review drawings (shop drawings during CA for instance) then this needs to be understood as an essential functionality of the software.

Thanks-

Message 7 of 20
Zzybalubah

A symbol is not a stamp.  A stamp is not a symbol.  Why is it when someone asks about stamps, someone else gives an answer about symbols.  The questioner, like me , is looking for a way to make a custom STAMP.  Symbols are useless for this.

Message 8 of 20
cblocher

Hi,

Dynamic stamps were added to Autodesk Design Review 2013. These stamps automatically can include your user name, time, date, and filename to 2D drawings.

Best,

C.

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Message 9 of 20
j_spiradek

Hi.

How to add custom dynamic stamp in ADR2013?

Kuba

Jakub Spiradek
MAT.net.pl
Autodesk Gold Partner
Message 10 of 20
cblocher
in reply to: j_spiradek

Hi,

Can you provide more details regarding what you want to do?

Dynamic stamps are added to a drawing like any other stamp: Click Markup & Measure tab > Stamps & Symbols panel > Stamps drop-down. The dynamic stamps are located at the bottom of the list.

Best,

Chris

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Message 11 of 20
j_spiradek

Hi Chris

I mean, how to create MY /customized/ dynamic stamp, with the new fields.

Kuba

Jakub Spiradek
MAT.net.pl
Autodesk Gold Partner
Message 12 of 20
cblocher

Hi Kuba,

I'm still not sure what you mean by "my dynamic stamp". The available Design Review stamps are provided by Autodesk. Additional stamps cannot be added to the list.

The dynamic information in a dynamic stamp (such as date and time) is only "dynamic" at the time the stamp is applied; after application, the information becomes static. And like other stamps, it's only editable after it's been applied.

That said, you can make custom symbols from stamps, but symbols are not dynamic.

Please do provide more detail/context of what you're trying to accomplish if further explanation is required.

Best,

Chris

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Message 13 of 20
jfertig34

What I was trying to do when I originally posted on this forum 7 months ago was I believe the same thing Kubass and mies07 are / were trying to do.  I'm including a copy of our shop drawing stamp.  I would like for the check boxes to be "clickable", the signature field to be editable, and the date field to be dynamic (I understand that the date is fixed once "stamped", that's fine).  All architects that are actually building physical things need this ability and not some kludgy workaround that involves powerpoint.  I would like to be able to import a raster jpg/tiff/png/gif/etc and/or a vector pdf/cvg/eps/etc and then create the stamp from this.

Message 14 of 20
cblocher
in reply to: jfertig34

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, as you suspected, Autodesk Design Review doesn't allow custom stamps, dynamic or otherwise, only custom symbols.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Message 15 of 20
daniel.keeble

I think what people are after is the ability to create their own stamps - customise them to their company standards etc -  it is this functionality that people are after - like an attribute block in AutoCAD.  any idea when this is likely to be included? what is needed is a block where you can edit A how it looks and B what fields you wish to enter.  anything else I think has been missing the point a bit.

Message 16 of 20
cblocher
in reply to: daniel.keeble

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the feedback.  I've logged the request so it can be considered.

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Message 17 of 20
airpro_chris

Wow, I cant believe it took sooooo long to get the predicted "functionality not included' response to this question. As many people keep pointing out, using customized dynamic stamps is a key part of most companies workflows and Design Review is a looooong way behind Adobe and other .pdf editors with this feature. I like the product and promote its virtues far and wide but this issue always raises itself when any consultant, client or other interested party want to provide comments on submitted .dwfs.

Can we have some assurance from the developers that this feature is at least coming in future releases. I can find references to the issue in forums going back as far as 2005 so its hard to see why this is not yet available.

Message 18 of 20
pendean

Friend, ADR development stopped in 2012. There is a long thread in this forum discussing it.
Message 19 of 20
diego

I can create block in CAD and bring them in as symbols. I was wondering if there is anyway I can bring this symbols and also alow one label where I can type coments. Or maybe is there a way that I can create custom stamps ( bathtub shape) that I can add txt:" R/O 59"x30:"

Does this make sense?

Diego Villanueva
BIM Manager, Apex Technology – True Design Studios
Jacksonville, FL
Email: diego@truedesignstudios.net
Message 20 of 20
pendean
in reply to: diego

ADR is not CAD: it's a viewer and markup tool. You need cad, there are many free software for that task.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report