Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Refuses to Download DWF Viewer.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
304 Views, 3 Replies

Client Refuses to Download DWF Viewer.

I know there has been some talk here about embedding DWF files in other applications. Such as Word and HTML files. Is there a way I can embed a file inside another application without telling them "You need to Download the Viewer" Some clients IT people wont let them download any viewers. Maybe even a sneaky way to have it install without them knowing? Anyone run into this problem also? Reason why I ask. Is this client would really benefit from DWF's & Composer. Just need to jump over this hurdle first. Thanks for any help!! Mark
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you look at the help files on embedding the dwf viewer in another app it shows you three ways for it to call up the installer location if it's not installed. (ADSK site, a cd, or local drive)Only trouble you might run into is the needed admin rights to allow the install. May want to give the client the viewer install files on a cd and let them show it to their IT guys/gals. Their policy may be more for preventing "hogging" bandwidth than installing viewers. Murph "Mark Douglas" wrote in message news:40b77bb6$1_3@newsprd01... > I know there has been some talk here about embedding DWF files in other > applications. Such as Word and HTML files. Is there a way I can embed a file > inside another application without telling them "You need to Download the > Viewer" Some clients IT people wont let them download any viewers. Maybe > even a sneaky way to have it install without them knowing? Anyone run into > this problem also? Reason why I ask. Is this client would really benefit > from DWF's & Composer. Just need to jump over this hurdle first. > > Thanks for any help!! > > Mark > >
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Good point Murph.. I'll give that a try. Mark "Murph" wrote in message news:40b78629$1_1@newsprd01... > If you look at the help files on embedding the dwf viewer in another app it > shows you three ways for it to call up the installer location if it's not > installed. (ADSK site, a cd, or local drive)Only trouble you might run into > is the needed admin rights to allow the install. May want to give the client > the viewer install files on a cd and let them show it to their IT guys/gals. > Their policy may be more for preventing "hogging" bandwidth than installing > viewers. > > Murph > > > "Mark Douglas" wrote in message > news:40b77bb6$1_3@newsprd01... > > I know there has been some talk here about embedding DWF files in other > > applications. Such as Word and HTML files. Is there a way I can embed a > file > > inside another application without telling them "You need to Download the > > Viewer" Some clients IT people wont let them download any viewers. Maybe > > even a sneaky way to have it install without them knowing? Anyone run into > > this problem also? Reason why I ask. Is this client would really benefit > > from DWF's & Composer. Just need to jump over this hurdle first. > > > > Thanks for any help!! > > > > Mark > > > > > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Mark,

We have had requests to install the DWF Viewer even when a user does not have admin rights to install. Although this might help us in the short term by getting more DWF Viewers out there in the world, I'm not convinced that we should be circumventing IT admin's who have purposely not given admin and install rights to their users.

I know that if I were that IT guy, I'd be mighty upset to find any software that circumvented this on my system. Even Adobe PDF Reader requires admin rights to install.

--Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report