Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can only see partial CAD in Design Review

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
sndbbbl
1816 Views, 12 Replies

can only see partial CAD in Design Review

Hi,

I am not an expert in AutoCad - only have to review and comment CAD's.

When I open a certain CAD in TrueView, I can see the entire Sheet with many CAD's in one sheet.

When I open the same file in DesignReview, I only see one part of the CAD...

How can I view the entire CAD in Design Review?

Thanx!

Jean-Philippe

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sndbbbl
in reply to: sndbbbl

Here are two Screen Shots (attached)

a) DesignReview (only this one portion of the entire CAD can be seen)

b) TrueView (the entire CAD sheet can be seen)

How can I view the entire CAD in Design Review?

Thank you

Message 3 of 13
pendean

Design Review uses TrueView to generate a DWF file: default plot parameters wrong perhaps? You can use TrueView to create a DWF file as well for Design Review to see without the error.

Message 4 of 13
sndbbbl
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the feedback - the Plot Parameters - do I adjust them in TrueView or in DesingReview?

I will give it a try in both and let you know... I thought it must be some simple paramter issue...

Greetings,

Jean-Philippe

Message 5 of 13
sndbbbl

I tried to play with the Plot-Settings (Print Settings) in both, but maybe could not find the proper place to adjust it. Alas - could not make it work.

Another issue is that in DesignReview, the lines of the CAD tend to get really FAT when zooming in.

I saw that another discussion thread spoke about this - so I will try to find the solution in this forum.

But the ENTIRE PAGE view is still not solved. Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,

--Jean-Philippe

Message 6 of 13
pendean

ADR is looking at a plot, not the original DWG file: when you zoom into a static plot, you will see line weights.

It might help if you can post the actual DWG file for others to test/review.

Message 7 of 13
vgottipa

I am not sure if this is of any help and if the comments have to be made in original CAD file itself, but you could try exporting the dwg to a dwf from TrueView. 

Message 8 of 13
sndbbbl

Attached is a CAD file with which I have this problem - in fact, I have the same problem with all CAD files.

In this case, I can see the entire file in FreeView, but I only see a blank page in DesignReview.

Help is appreciated.

Jean-Philippe

Message 9 of 13
pendean

1. When you open a DWG file in ADR, do you notice how the name of the file's extension is no longer DWG, but it says DWF? Answer yes or no, nothing else 🙂

2. Now do you understand that DWF is not a DWG file? yes or no, nothing else please.

3. DTV opens a DWG file, and the name of the file above remains DWG. Do you understand this statement? Yes or no please, nothing else.

4. Inside the DWG, completely outside of your control in DTV and in ADR, there is no pagesetup and there is no predefined plot setup to generate a plot showing everying in the DWG file. Do you understand this statement? Yes or no please, nothing else.

5. In order for you to get what you want in ADR, someone other than you needs to open the DWG file in AutoCAD (not DTV or ADR), create a plot that shows all the content in the file, then save it to the DWG file. Now, and only now, can you get what you want in ADR. Do you understand this statement? Answer anyway you want, this is the reality you need to grasp, you need AutoCAD to do what you want in ADR. Send the file back to the creator and ask them to save a pagesetup you can use to automatically generate a DWF file in ADR. OR stop ignoring what everyone else is telling you: you yourself must create a DWF file in DTV if you want to use ADR.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion: if you don't understand, say so, do not repeat your prvious replies for a 4th time please. You are not helping yourself understand ADR requires pre-setup in the DWG file to work automatically.

AUTOMATION REQUIRES PLANNING AHEAD OF TIME.

Message 10 of 13
sndbbbl
in reply to: vgottipa

Thank you! That solved the issue. Smiley Happy

I now can select what I want to view in ADR (even the entire sheet) and convert it to .dwf and see all.

I still have the issue that the lines are so thick in ADR...

Anyway, thanx a lot!

--Jean-Philippe

Message 11 of 13
sndbbbl

@pendean wrote:

1. When you open a DWG file in ADR, do you notice how the name of the file's extension is no longer DWG, but it says DWF? Answer yes or no, nothing else 🙂

YES (thanx for pointing out - I had not realized before)

2. Now do you understand that DWF is not a DWG file? yes or no, nothing else please.

3. DTV opens a DWG file, and the name of the file above remains DWG. Do you understand this statement? Yes or no please, nothing else.

4. Inside the DWG, completely outside of your control in DTV and in ADR, there is no pagesetup and there is no predefined plot setup to generate a plot showing everying in the DWG file. Do you understand this statement? Yes or no please, nothing else.

NO. As  @vgottipa wrote in a previous post, one can convert a DWG file in DTV into a DWF file, and OVERRIDE the PageSetup features.  @vgottipa's reply helped solve the issue.

5. In order for you to get what you want in ADR, someone other than you needs to open the DWG file in AutoCAD (not DTV or ADR), create a plot that shows all the content in the file, then save it to the DWG file. Now, and only now, can you get what you want in ADR. Do you understand this statement? Answer anyway you want, this is the reality you need to grasp, you need AutoCAD to do what you want in ADR. Send the file back to the creator and ask them to save a pagesetup you can use to automatically generate a DWF file in ADR. OR stop ignoring what everyone else is telling you: you yourself must create a DWF file in DTV if you want to use ADR.

As  @vgottipa wrote, one does not need to go back and open the file in AutoCAD. I can make it myself with DTV and export the file in DWF and there is an option OVERRIDE PAGE SETTINGS. That solves the issue.

I already tried it - and it works.

Anyway, thanx for your help and valuable input. You made me understand more about the file format which I did not know before. Also Kudos for you!

Regards

Hope this helps clear up the confusion: if you don't understand, say so, do not repeat your prvious replies for a 4th time please. You are not helping yourself understand ADR requires pre-setup in the DWG file to work automatically.

AUTOMATION REQUIRES PLANNING AHEAD OF TIME.

Message 12 of 13
wipfco

Hello,

I am having issues opening revit exported DWFx files with ADR - I export from revit but i can not open them... ADR opens with Blank Screen and i can see all the elements of my model in my model browser.

Let me know if you have any recommendations... Thanks a million...

Message 13 of 13
pendean
in reply to: wipfco

Try asking in the REVIT forum: there is probably a fix from inside there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report